Yet another Holmes inspired thing. This time the Baker Street Irregulars. Apparently in this version, The Irregulars are the real brains, with Holmes taking credit for their work.

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I thought the music didn’t go with the setting, at all. 

Neither did the clothing, modes of behaviour or language. I kept waiting for a mobile phone to appear.

There is a decent mystery in there. Finished episode 2 and I'm invested enough to over look overly dramatic acting, Dr Watson being an absolute prick, colonel jedi sanders turning up explain the mystical magic powers. How two actors of clearly different ethnic backgrounds can be sisters and yet anther London populated by "Netflixs ethnically diverse cast (tm)" last seen in Bridgerton and Enola Holmes. 

Imagine Enola Holmes meets the Teen Titans for the YA generation. 

The ethnic diversity thing doesn’t bother me so long as they basically ignore it. They’re all equals and race is of no consequence. I’ve not noticed a reference to it at all in the first two episodes.

Im enjoying it enough so far. Noting stunning but interesting enough to keep me watching.

7 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

The ethnic diversity thing doesn’t bother me so long as they basically ignore it. They’re all equals and race is of no consequence. I’ve not noticed a reference to it at all in the first two episodes.

Im enjoying it enough so far. Noting stunning but interesting enough to keep me watching.

I can’t bring myself to care about the diversity; why not have it and a bit more representation? 

We already have psychics, men controlling birds with their minds, some kind of idiot savant Prince etc.

I’m not sure I want to watch a perfectly historically accurate tv show where all the kids are either selling themselves on the street or in the workhouse, and have various bits of themselves falling off.

11 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

There is a decent mystery in there. Finished episode 2 and I'm invested enough to over look overly dramatic acting, Dr Watson being an absolute prick, colonel jedi sanders turning up explain the mystical magic powers. How two actors of clearly different ethnic backgrounds can be sisters and yet anther London populated by "Netflixs ethnically diverse cast (tm)" last seen in Bridgerton and Enola Holmes. 

Imagine Enola Holmes meets the Teen Titans for the YA generation. 

The diversity one is a tricky tightrope to walk, though. They either don’t do it and perpetuate a lack of diversity, or make the cast diverse but ignore their race or the history which is almost akin to ignoring that we had decades of slavery, racial injustice and other horrors, or they try to use it as an opportunity to (relatively) accurately portray what life was like for minorities in these times and hopefully educate people a bit. I’m all for a diverse cast - best person for the job should get it regardless, but of course that would mean equal opportunities casting and we know that’s hardly ever the case. 

Few more episodes in and it’s moved on a little from monster of the week. Not sure if it’s for it’s benefit or not. Probably for the best as after 2 of those and elements of it in subsequent episodes it’s really struggling to tell a different story. So far it really lacks any real mystery in its weekly monster. Not that you know who/what from the start but I’m not sure it’s made me care.

The whole fact it’s Holmes at all seems a bit pointless and honestly probably detracts from it telling a more interesting story.

I’ve seen three episodes now. It is nonsense and I’m outraged they’ve wholesale ripped off the Pennyworth title sequence (and pinched two of the actors) but I’m interested in how they’ve positioned Holmes and Watson.

if you’re looking for a Victorian show about magic set in a Sherlock Holmes universe then this is the show for you. Appreciate that pool of people is vanishingly small.

On 28/03/2021 at 12:53, thesnwmn said:

Was thinking about this: why have diversity and then ignore it other than better employment for the actors? That's better but not much better than not having it at all since all of the characters will be functionally white, with no culture of their own? Just wondering.

26 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Was thinking about this: why have diversity and then ignore it other than better employment for the actors? That's better but not much better than not having it at all since all of the characters will be functionally white, with no culture of their own? Just wondering.

I think it’s obviously going to be a touchy issue over the coming decades (and already has been).

I think of them all being functionally nothing in terms of race. Why do we think they’re white if they’re all are equal and it’s unmentioned? I think they’re all people, of which race is basically irrelevant. I realise that some might see that as belittling an important issue.

But what’s the alternative? Forced to say that black, Asian, Latin actors can only play roles where race is an acknowledged characteristic of their and other characters? This to me seems limiting to them and art. Basically if you want a show or film without racial commentary you have to cast everyone from the same race.

Of course we may do need to be sensitive about the positions we put minority actors in when playing roles that aren’t defined by their race

43 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I think it’s obviously going to be a touchy issue over the coming decades (and already has been).

I think of them all being functionally nothing in terms of race. Why do we think they’re white if they’re all are equal and it’s unmentioned? I think they’re all people, of which race is basically irrelevant. I realise that some might see that as belittling an important issue.

But what’s the alternative? Forced to say that black, Asian, Latin actors can only play roles where race is an acknowledged characteristic of their and other characters? This to me seems limiting to them and art. Basically if you want a show or film without racial commentary you have to cast everyone from the same race.

Of course we may do need to be sensitive about the positions we put minority actors in when playing roles that aren’t defined by their race

And then you are making a statement. This argument can get you coming and going.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

what does it add to this story? How does it help elucidate this story’s themes? etc.

there’s no obvious inherent culture in the first episode other than a brothel.

It's not just about casting though, there needs to be more ethnic talent at the scripting and directing stage. That way, as mentioned above, you get characters who are culturally diverse as well as physically.  It's a minor thing but I remember a black writer pointing out that,  for instance,  church is still a big thing for a lot of black families, a detail that might be lost in the pen of a white writer who didn't have that background. Same applies to other backgrounds of course. 

Not to say that more colour-blind casting isn't a welcome step, of course! We've all gotta work! And obviously no one writer can encapsulate every experience, that would be mad, but yeah, diversity on screen is just a start. 

I think Bridgerton did it really well, telling an alternate history were race wasn't a major factor society, but they still had members of the cast reference how precarious this status quo was.

On 27/03/2021 at 20:52, Stanley said:

I thought the music didn’t go with the setting, at all. 

On 27/03/2021 at 20:57, Festoon said:

Neither did the clothing, modes of behaviour or language. I kept waiting for a mobile phone to appear.

I found it jarring. It reminded me of Dr Who with a CBBC cast.

By chapter seven the arc is working a bit better. Sherlock is far too young (although theoretically the actor is old enough for the main plotline).

Finished.

Much better than "Warrior nun", a bit btter than "teen Titans" but not a patch on the likes of "Umbrella Academy" or "Russian Doll".

The ending is the usual. "Wrapped up all nice and neat now, let's not ask too many questions about the actual plot shall we, the bad guy is dead what more do you want !!!?!?!?" type rubbish and i'm not sure how they have  season two now. But.. on balance i think i'd watch another season. 

Spoiler tastic talk about the final episodes....

Spoiler

The kids are mostly ok, Spike doesn't have a lot to do other than be a tick on the ethnic cast list. Bee wanders round looking quite angry a lot and falling in love with Leo who no one ever asks where he comes from. Billy is the hard lard who has one hard lad moment in the entire run and only so he can have something to do at the end. The dream girl whose name i've already forgotten spends a lot of time being pathetic, then does what everyone told her to do in the first place. 

But really, who opened the rift the second time is never really explored. the ending is quite trite. If the mum opened the rift, to meet the kids again, how did she do it if Watson needed a mcguffin to do the job the first time round? Why couldn't evil just open up any old rift it liked. Then Holmes going into the rift to be with the mum was only there so watson could save the girl this time and makes another season of "Sherlock Holmes Baker street Irregulars" quite difficult. 

No one ever seems to ask why Holmes or Watson sent the kids to the workhouse. Holmes begging for forgiveness from the Mum was hand waved away. then at the end Watson doesn't appear to have any remorse for the event as surely he was the one who took them there as Holmes was becoming a drug addict. at teh end he eats fish and chips with Bee and never offers to give them a home or help them out.  

Foghorn Leg horn turns out to be a bit rubbish and has the merest back story possible and then dies. Who he is, where he comes from, how he saves dream girl the first time .. never dealt with. He's just someone that's a bit like dream girl and wants to know where the rift is so he can become a god, somehow.

Where did the plague doctors come from, did the mum put them there to protect the rift and attract dream girl, but forgot to tell them to let her through ?

basically...

Beee = Starfire

Dreamgirl = Raven

Billy = Cyborg

Spike = beast boy whose only job is to loves dream girl 

Leo = Robin, with a dicky leg which means he can't do any fighting, or ask batman (mum) for any money

3 out of 5