Invincible - Animation based on Kirkman's comic

I'd like to +1 "Invincible".  What a voice cast!  J K Simmons, Mark Hamill, Gillian Jacobson, Jason Mantzoukas.  

It has a feel of The Boys to it.  Go in blind.  Don't Google it.

Never herd of this before the show and pleasantly impressed. The trope of 'here's basically the Justice League without copyright infringement' is a bit tired now, but never mind.

I quite like it, but I can't help but wish it was Marvelman or Zenith being given the animated grim superheroics treatment. Those two strips are extremely British though and I suppose they want to shoot for the American demographic so it's as popular as possible. 

On 27/03/2021 at 13:41, yakumo said:

I agree it doesn't feel fresh now with more adult superhero shows being more common nowadays, however, at the time there wasn't anything like that and its why Invincible felt new and had a large fanbase. 

I've not watched it but i know which bit you're referring too.

At the time it was a shock we had only seen it before in things like DC's Crime Syndicate and their Elseworlds tales.

But with things like The Boys & Brightburn it's so much a surprise any more. 

I know at least two scenes that will have to be changed from the comic if the animation reaches that far. 

Can't wait to eventually getting round to watching this.

Time to dig out my "Science Dog" T-Shirt i recon.....

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

I know at least two scenes that will have to be changed from the comic if the animation reaches that far. 

Can't wait to eventually getting round to watching this.

Time to dig out my "Science Dog" T-Shirt i recon.....

I've re-read my TPBs and honestly, I think there is going to have to be quite a lot that is changed. Some of the language is shocking (I don't mean swears) and Kirkman can't even use the excuse that he has to write baddies being, well, bad, as it is Marc saying it. Some really questionable pejorative slurring that is pretty inexcusable, not to mention the way how miserably one of the scenes I think you're referring to is handled.

Plus the bloat. The show is going to have to cut more fat than a Hollywood lipo clinic.

22 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Some of the language is shocking (I don't mean swears) and Kirkman can't even use the excuse that he has to write baddies being, well, bad, as it is Marc saying it. Some really questionable pejorative slurring that is pretty inexcusable, not to mention the way how miserably one of the scenes I think you're referring to is handled.

See not that i really needed the excuse but i'm going to have to do a re-read to remember the language you're referring too (i'm probably just being dense).

I think were on about the same scene, when i think about controversial and shocking scenes that is certainly up there. 

On 28/03/2021 at 10:30, Sidewaysbob said:

I was quite prepared to turn this off and never watch another one, then the last 10 minutes happened. 

Same with me, I really struggled to get through it but the last few minutes grabbed my interest. 

I had seen this thread beforehand so went in expecting something, so it wasn't a huge surprise. 

I have have to admit I really dislike the art style, animation and dialogue. I know what they are trying to do but it doesn't work for me at all, it's so bland. Doesn't really bode well for me watching it really!

Might give another episode a go to see where it's going before deciding if I ditch it or not. 

Gives me a real Justice League cartoon vibe (but not *quite* to that quality) and the 18+ content is a big contrast to the Saturday morning cartoon feel; which actually manages to shock. I like it!

I was feeling a bit superheroed out when this showed up, but I quite enjoyed the first three episodes all the same. 

I do think the "adult" stuff feels a bit over the top though. There was one scene where the shock value added something (the exact moment my wife wandered in to see what I was watching), but you only really get one shot at that. The rest of the time I found it made it some of the action seem a little silly, in that it was so over the top it started to feel a bit South Park. 

It's good though. I never got into the comic so I have no idea where its going, but I'm intrigued. The voice acting is excellent and I quite like the animation too.

On 29/03/2021 at 22:20, PeteJ said:

Same with me, I really struggled to get through it but the last few minutes grabbed my interest. 

I had seen this thread beforehand so went in expecting something, so it wasn't a huge surprise. 

I have have to admit I really dislike the art style, animation and dialogue. I know what they are trying to do but it doesn't work for me at all, it's so bland. Doesn't really bode well for me watching it really!

Might give another episode a go to see where it's going before deciding if I ditch it or not. 

I agree about the dialogue* but my main reservation is the tonal shift stuff. I don't think the directors understand how to go from the high school antics to the violent murder stuff at all well. 

The serious scenes need a lot more time to breathe, particularly:

Spoiler

When Omega Guy goes through the portal and destroys the alien city (world?) 

The best world-building so far has been the funeral scene, for sure. I really hope the whole enterprise isn't dragged out. There are two big mysteries and I would like at least one fully answered by the end of season one! 

P. S. If we're doing Justice League mega violent rip offs, I'd have preferred a show about The Authority. Much more storytelling potential, and concepts Invincible has nicked wholesale to boot. 

*and broadly about the animation, but I disliked both Clone Wars and Rebels' styles but loved the shows themselves, so what are you gonna do? 

47 minutes ago, Treble said:

I agree about the dialogue* but my main reservation is the tonal shift stuff. I don't think the directors understand how to go from the high school antics to the violent murder stuff at all well. 

The serious scenes need a lot more time to breathe, particularly:

When Omega Guy goes through the portal and destroys the alien city (world?) 

The best world-building so far has been the funeral scene, for sure. I really hope the whole enterprise isn't dragged out. There are two big mysteries and I would like at least one fully answered by the end of season one! 

P. S. If we're doing Justice League mega violent rip offs, I'd have preferred a show about The Authority. Much more storytelling potential, and concepts Invincible has nicked wholesale to boot. 

*and broadly about the animation, but I disliked both Clone Wars and Rebels' styles but loved the shows themselves, so what are you gonna do? 

The Authority and the title that preceded it - Stormwatch, were magnificent comics, but then Warren Ellis is a master of the craft, while Kirkham is a bit of a hack really.

Episode 4...

Despite barely enjoying the first episode I've still stuck with this. My issues remain around the script, which I'm finding stilted and frustratingly low-key, leading to some really flat performances from some major talent. Maybe this will change as the story develops but it all feels off. Also, as mentioned by @Treble the tone is just all over the place. 

The plot seems to be taking an approach of throwing every idea at the screen at once and seeing what sticks. I'm kind of enjoying that element as it's just so ridiculous and it's never really clear what plot elements are important and what has been dropped. It isn't great story telling but there is something there that is drawing me back.

Needless to say, I'm finding the high-school and family drama elements rather poor but the general world-builing Is interesting enough to bring me back next week. 

This episode felt like something out of Rick and Morty to be honest, only without the energy.

So far it just really hasn't reached the high it did in the first episode

Spoiler

If you're going to subvert audience expectations with something like that and go *very* dark out of nowhere then it's really jarring tonally to then just mostly go back to teen drama and regular superhero stuff which is just slightly more violent. Feels like "Aha! Now we've hooked you in! Enjoy a slightly reheated superhero story you've seen before again, just with some unnecessary gore"

Episode 5

Much better episode and it makes me want to watch the next one. This is going to be like Walking Dead isn't it, where every time you are just about to give up it produces something just about good enough to keep you watching...

Cast continues to be insane, every time a new character is introduced I end up looking up who plays them, and 9 times out of 10 they are somebody famous. 

Art style and animation continues to be very distracting. Script continues to be weak. Plot line continues to be all over the place. Series still somehow intrigues enough to keep me going.  

The fact my better  half is continuing to watch and enjoy an animated series speaks volumes I think. 

The main character has been nailed and the voice cast and animation quality and story mean it’s worth tuning in every week. 

I hope it continues tbh and I’m not the biggest Kirkman fan tbh. 

Kind of reminds me of the Watchmen series in how the pacing and story seem really spread out but then the odd episode makes it seem really worth while.

Yeah a great episode this week.

I feel like the episode quality is going up and down quite a lot. Didn’t care much for the first or third episodes but the second and fourth were decent and this was probably the best one yet. I wish the art and animation is better but the pacing of the episode and character work they added to Titan were on point.