F1 games (and the Formula Fuddle Championship) Round 5-Spain

That original PS1 F1 game looks really fun and quite forgiving. A lot of F1 games I've tried have been a bit too technical requiring proper racing lines and all, but that one seemed very arcadey.

That was from the ‘arcade’ part of the game, but there’s lots of options. Obviously I had damage off as I was hitting everybody. Still great fun though.

Almost all the games I have planned for this aren’t what I would call technical. There’s even a few proper arcade games coming up if it all goes according to plan.

13 hours ago, Vimster said:

That original PS1 F1 game looks really fun and quite forgiving. A lot of F1 games I've tried have been a bit too technical requiring proper racing lines and all, but that one seemed very arcadey.

I never really liked the handling on PS1 F1. There's just that x factor, can't quite put my finger on what it is, feeling that's missing. Don't get me wrong, it's a technical marvel and I remember being blown away when I saw everything the physics engine was doing, but it just isn't that fun to play, in my opinion. 

I remember being sat in a 5th year maths lesson doodling cars and racing circuits and chatting cars with a friend and planning how amazing a PlayStation f1 game would be just enforce the console was released. We decided it should even have Murray Walker commentating. I absolutely loved that game and drove Interlagos goodness knows how many times. 

• 2 weeks later...

After enjoying your Australian video I ordered F1 ‘97 off eBay. It’s the one I remember from my student days.

It holds up really well for a 32bit title. Although the short draw distance kinda spoils Spa, most of the other tracks are fine, Monaco is great.

I also ordered F1 Championship Edition on PS3 as I’ve never played that, but remember videos of it from the early days of PS3 looking incredible. IMO it’s a much better F1 game than the PS3 Codemasters titles that followed, it still looks pretty incredible and the rain effects are lovely. No Spa track though?! Was that removed from the calendar in the mid-2000s?!

F1 World GP on N64 plays very well, I think. I played the hell out of it at uni and went back to it not so long ago expecting it to have aged very badly but it was still great. The super twitchy controls on that N64 stick really help it.

6 hours ago, StoooTube said:

After enjoying your Australian video I ordered F1 ‘97 off eBay. It’s the one I remember from my student days.

It holds up really well for a 32bit title. Although the short draw distance kinda spoils Spa, most of the other tracks are fine, Monaco is great.

I also ordered F1 Championship Edition on PS3 as I’ve never played that, but remember videos of it from the early days of PS3 looking incredible. IMO it’s a much better F1 game than the PS3 Codemasters titles that followed, it still looks pretty incredible and the rain effects are lovely. No Spa track though?! Was that removed from the calendar in the mid-2000s?!

It was missing in 2003 and 2006 (which is the year Championship Edition is based on)

Ah, what a wonderful idea this is :). That first video's combination of Murray Walker and Adelaide is intoxicating. That's my F1 fan happy place, right there. No-one's ever done an F1 weekend like Adelaide used to do.

Funnily enough, I've been playing the Domark F1 game on the Megadrive recently. It's really impressive and super fast. It even has 3D polygons for bridges, stations etc. It looks pretty good mixed with the car sprites. It's certainly not a simulation but it's a fun game. 

I also quite like Formula 1 06 on the PS2. I picked it up for about a quid at a car boot. It's a pretty decent simulation but if you turn on the various driver assists and go for short races it becomes a really fun arcade style racer. 

The Master System version of that Domark game is very good too. They didn't try to recreate the mega drive one but did their own thing and created easily the best grand prix game on the SMS (Out of about 4 to be fair).

some mentions of games i've already recorded, which is very nice to see.

got a few more modern stuff coming in the post, as i need a few for newer tracks. i cant remember what ive ordered now, might be 2002, 2010 and 2013 for ps2, ps3 and xbox 360. trying to get a good mix of platforms.

If you need any games on different platforms and fancy having a PC game for one of the rounds then may I humbly suggest the Greatest Formula One Game Ever Created™?

Grand_Prix_2_Coverart.png

Might be a challenge to capture footage on it, mind :)

I’ve certainly got a soft spot for the original Geoff Crammond F1 game as I played that a lot on my 386 as a kid. Haven’t played any of the others though...

The unique thing about F1 Championship on PS3 is it’s by Studio Liverpool, Sony’s only F1 game of that era I believe, sandwiched between EA and Codemasters titles. 

Edit: seems my memory is wrong as Sony had a couple of PS2 titles after EA, and did a couple of PSP titles including your Bahrain one. :unsure: It was their only PS3 title though. 

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Ah, what a wonderful idea this is :). That first video's combination of Murray Walker and Adelaide is intoxicating. That's my F1 fan happy place, right there. No-one's ever done an F1 weekend like Adelaide used to do.

I think what really sells that game is Murray Walker. At a time when a lot of professionals treated videogames as beneath them he just gives it 110%! Even now 20 plus years later it's still convincing!

Oh yeah, definitely! The thing I love about F1 '97 is that Murray gives it full beans whilst Martin Brundle sounds like his dialogue was a one-take-only deal where he could barely muster any kind of enthusiasm.

'You're right there, Murray!'

Oh, and if anyone wants to relive the fun of an Aussie GP weekend, Adelaide style, check out this:

Four parts featuring support races, features and F1 practice sessions and second qualifying. There's 1991, 1992, 1993 and 1994 up on YouTube. Races aren't included as that'd increase the likelihood of them getting pinged off YouTube.

• 2 weeks later...

Imola, San Marino, Italy part 1?...whatever you want to call it, my third race is finally here, and the start of the european part of the tour.
The sun is shining, Damon Hill is on pole position, and Murray Walker is back in the commentary box.
We've got real excitement coming up now!

F1 Championship Edition - SNES version.
This is a pretty good game. Feels really fast when you're playing it.
Qualifying seems pretty important, as overtaking is super difficult, and can get a bit frustrating.
You don't really get much punishment for bumping into other cars though, so you still get some nice close races.
The Mega Drive version of this is a completely different game, and that should turn up a little later in the calendar.

Spoilers

Spoiler

Despite not taking part in the last race in Bahrain, Damon Hill narrowly takes the lead.
But Schumacher's consistency keeps him a very close second.
Second place today pops Alessi up to third overall.
A whole bunch of people close behind. And a three way tie for tenth.

Hill                    43
Schumacher    42
Alessi               26
Mansell            25
Raikonen         25
Barrichello       22
Coulthard        16
Irvine               14
Fisichella         12
Berger             10
Massa             10
Fitipaldi           10

• Fuddle changed the title to F1 games (and the Formula Fuddle Championship) Round 3-IMOLA
  • 2 weeks later...

Round 4 - Something fantabulous this way comes!

Obviously I don't have Portimao, but Estoril is in everything, so the Portuguese round of the championship is still on.
Ayrton Senna makes his first appearance, but with qualifying not going to plan it's going to be a battle to get through the pack.

Top down arcade action with F-1 Grand Prix
A very tricky game that really needs some practice putting in to it.
Bumping other cars can screw you up massively sometimes, and on other occasions you just drive over the top of them!

It's not a bad game, but its showing its age a bit.

Spoiler

Senna gets on the scoreboard.
Mansell's second place puts him even first place with Hill.
And Alessi scores well again with some good consistency.

Hill                    43
Mansell            43
Schumacher    42
Alessi               36
Senna              25
Raikonen         25
Barrichello      22
Coulthard       16
Moreno            15
irvine               14
Fisichella         12

• Fuddle changed the title to F1 games (and the Formula Fuddle Championship) Round 4-Portugal

Round 5 - Spain
A nice old school European circuit.
Senna appears in back to back races, this time with his own game.

Will licensing agreements prevent him from making many more appearances?

You might have been thinking this was a dead cert to be used for Monaco, but I wanted something 3D for that, so once I'd got Monaco recorded I went back to this game for spain (these weren't recorded in order).
It's quite a nice game, but realistically it feels like more of a duel between you and Senna, with the other no-name members of the grid there just to make up numbers.
I do quite like these super old fashioned racers, although this track probably makes it look a bit easier than it really is. Some are very difficult.

Spoiler

In a move which totally looks like i'm rigging it (I swear I'm not) we now have three people tied for the lead.
And up coming new driver 'fuddle' gets his name on the board.
While some of the made up names from this game could be construed as real drivers, I decided not to bother with that task.
Using my godlike powers to already know some later results I don't think it will affect anything in the long run.

Hill                      43
Mansell              43
Senna                43
Schumacher     42
Alessi                36
Raikonen          25
Fuddle              25
Barrichello       22
Coulthard        16
Moreno           15

• Fuddle changed the title to F1 games (and the Formula Fuddle Championship) Round 5-Spain