IGNORED

In & Of Itself

Floshenbarnical

Watched this tonight and was shaking with emotion at the end. It is more or less a televised collection of a series of repeated performances with different audiences, of a play/ storytelling/ magic act/ one man show and I can’t recommend it highly enough. To describe it too deeply would probably spoil it, but has anyone else seen it? Is there a thread for this yet?

Its on Hulu, in the US at least

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/22/959305116/in-of-itself-is-a-study-of-identity-and-magic

I've seen it too, mentioned it in another thread and had the same reaction.

I'm not into magic really. I think it's cool and everything but don't go out of my way to watch it. What got me about this performance was that I genuinely didn't care about how the magic was done as I was fully focused on how it related to the point he was making. I mean that last trick could have been done in so many different ways but that's not what's important. It's how people react to it. The realisation of the part they played in it and the power of having that presented back to them.

Really strong stuff. I'm hoping that the live show comes over here. I'd go, not because I think it's re-watchable I just want to experience the atmosphere that must be in the room. I want to take someone who hasn't seen it and see how they react. God, it's just soo good.

5 hours ago, elmo said:

I've seen it too, mentioned it in another thread and had the same reaction.

I'm not into magic really. I think it's cool and everything but don't go out of my way to watch it. What got me about this performance was that I genuinely didn't care about how the magic was done as I was fully focused on how it related to the point he was making. I mean that last trick could have been done in so many different ways but that's not what's important. It's how people react to it. The realisation of the part they played in it and the power of having that presented back to them.

Really strong stuff. I'm hoping that the live show comes over here. I'd go, not because I think it's re-watchable I just want to experience the atmosphere that must be in the room. I want to take someone who hasn't seen it and see how they react. God, it's just soo good.

Exactly. My gf was desperate to know how he did it and I have no interest in knowing, I was just riveted to my seat the entire time. It really spoke to me because I’m very preoccupied by how people perceive me. 

did you spot Bill gates?

This reminded me a lot of Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants, so if you liked that, this is well worth a watch. Or vice versa. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though, thought it was wonderful. 

Oh, and shouldn’t this be in the TV/Movies folder?

41 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

This reminded me a lot of Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants, so if you liked that, this is well worth a watch. Or vice versa. 

Thanks for bringing this to my attention though, thought it was wonderful. 

Oh, and shouldn’t this be in the TV/Movies folder?

Yeah I meant to put it in there and then failed. I was going to write a note asking to move it and then I didn't

• 2 weeks later...

this really needs to be moved to the TV sub

watched this last night and it's utterly gripping, to call it 'magic' utterly devalues what he is doing here, which is compelling storytelling all thematically linked to a central construct he brings together. its quite brilliant

great write up here from before the show started its theatrical run too about the man behind it

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/magazine/derek-delgaudio-the-magician-who-wants-to-break-magic.html

• 8 months later...