Games where you don't improve

Trying 18 Wheeler again today, and realised that back in the Dreamcast era and right through to today I've always run out of time at exactly the same spot as I always did, right from the very first time I played it.  It's a brilliant game but in 20 years I've still no idea how to Git Gud. I do the same thing every time, lose in the same way every time and have no idea how to get any further. 

What games do you wish you could git gud at, and what's stopping you?

Lumines. Always succumb round about the same screen. I’d count myself as mediocre to decent at Tetris, and can feel myself gradually improve if I’m going through a big phase of playing it, but with Lumines I obviously plateaued and just can’t get better. A shame, because I really like it and want to see and hear the next bunch of screens :( 

Marble Madness. I must've put 10p in it every time I walked past it, but always ran out of time at the end of stage 4, or start of stage 5. But trackballs are just such fun to use, I didn't mind.

Years later I learned that there were only 6 or 7 stages in the entire game. I had imagined dozens.

Monster Hunter. Flail about with the buttons to lay a trap. Fail to see any patterns that allow me attack. 

I've restarted so many times and it just doesn't click. 

Tekken 7.

I hit a wall sometime back but keep trying the same stuff in the hope it gets me the odd win. I’m too lazy to learn new things and seem weirdly comfortable playing far too many matches for too little gain

The special stages in Mega Drive Sonic 1. Nearly 30 years and I've never completed more than 2 or 3 of the 6.

The Sonic & Knuckles slot machine bonus stages rotate in a similar way, and I can judge my jumps fine in those. But when it comes to the mazes in Sonic 1, for everything beyond the first one (which you can nearly complete without pressing any buttons), I've got no chance!

Hmm, maybe Dark Souls 1? Which might seem odd when I've completed (well, seen at least one ending of) DS2, BB, DS3 and Sekiro. I did the usual thing of buying it at the height of its hype, then failing, then trading it in... but I also have the free GwG version on my 360, taunting me. I think I only got as far as the Capra Demon last time, which I know is pretty daft... but I also have a habit of deleting my save and starting over with a different build whenever I find something mildly tricky. Which doesn't help.

Art of Fighting 1 and 2 on the AES. I’m so shit at them it’s untrue. I consider myself to be reasonably good at fighting games, but AoF just takes the piss out of me. I don’t think I’ve ever got through the second opponent on either game. 

Slay the spire. I read somewhere that someone struggles with Ascension 20 with the Silent - they did it, but it took something like 48 goes!!!1111....

I fail often on Ascension 1, let alone 20. I'm trying to get past Ascension 2 and just don't seem to improve. It doesn't matter, because I love playing it daily. 

My assumption is that most people don't start feeling the RNG or regular deaths until A10 or something but for me I just can't seem to understand what is a good strategy with the card choices I'm presented with. I could start reading up on good synergies but that would feel like cheating. 

17 hours ago, phillv85 said:

Art of Fighting 1 and 2

Those games are very about rote learning the enemies' attack patterns and anticipating/countering.  The AI is risible.

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Those games are very about rote learning the enemies' attack patterns and anticipating/countering.  The AI is risible.

I never give those games enough time to learn the opponent patterns. I lose against the first opponent three or four times then give up. They play so differently to the fighting games I like that I doubt I ever will.

19 hours ago, cowfields said:

Slay the spire. I read somewhere that someone struggles with Ascension 20 with the Silent - they did it, but it took something like 48 goes!!!1111....

I fail often on Ascension 1, let alone 20. I'm trying to get past Ascension 2 and just don't seem to improve. It doesn't matter, because I love playing it daily. 

My assumption is that most people don't start feeling the RNG or regular deaths until A10 or something but for me I just can't seem to understand what is a good strategy with the card choices I'm presented with. I could start reading up on good synergies but that would feel like cheating. 

I feel this. I haven’t tackled any ascensions yet but I cannot for the life of me finish Act 4. I just can never withstand the onslaught of damage and status effects to last. 

A few for me:

Any GTA game: I reach a plateau early on in the games. Usually there are three large sections, I have never got off the first section of a GTA game, there is always a limit, some mission I will get stuck on. Tried many, many times, used cheats etc but always end up giving up at that point. There's only so much cruising about or taxi missions you can do before admitting that's never going to improve. 

The Binding Of Isaac: Purchased the new expansion yesterday, not sure why because despite putting more hours into it than most games I have only ever got to the end of it (or an end) a couple of times, and that was through pure flukey item drops. 99% of games involve me dying either near or on the second boss. Not sure why but despite trying again and again and again I cannot help getting hit by some spider or something pathetic. It's so bad I feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong, like not getting anywhere in an FPS for years then realising you can shoot. Fantastic game though. 

Wipeout Fusion (PS2): used to be one of those people who couldn't stop scraping the sides on a Wipeout game but one day it clicked and I can happy enjoy them. Except Fusion. Haven't a clue why but I cannot even finish the first race without either coming last or dying, no matter how many times I keep trying. None of my Wipeout skills seem to be able to be transferred to it. Baffling. 

I don't feel like I've ever gotten better at PuyoPuyo, despite playing it many times over the years. Sometimes a spectacular chain happens but it is absolutely never deliberate.

FIFA and I guess most modern team spots games as well. I rarely feel like I have any influence over what's happening at all. 

20 hours ago, cowfields said:

Oh I’ve played for hundreds of hours and never got past A10 on any character. For the last six months I’ve just been playing daily climb and trying to learn enough to optimise my score.

28 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I don't feel like I've ever gotten better at PuyoPuyo, despite playing it many times over the years. Sometimes a spectacular chain happens but it is absolutely never deliberate.

Ah this is a great choice. Completely with you. Sometimes I'll create something beautiful but it's rarely intentional. Usually when I specifically try to make something brilliant I'm either dead before I set it up, or when I activate it the whole thing fizzles out after 2-3 pops because I hadn't visualised how it would play out properly at all. Puyo Puyo Tetris was the first time I made a conscious effort to get better at it, but I'm still completely carried by Tetris in that game. 

Fighting games. 

Big fan of Mortal Kombat, Injustice, bit of Street Fighter and maybe some Tekken. No matter how much I play, I'm just average. I can generally pull off some decent combos and most special moves, but there's a point where I just can't get my fingers to do what I need them to. Especially when I'm trying to do "..., f+x, d+a,...", it's just not happening. I'm just too full on attack and don't think tactically enough. 

Ghosts n Goblins (arcade). On the second half of the second level. Those flying things that jump from the window almost always lose me my armour. Then I get killed by those big trolls who won’t move far enough from the ladders for me to get up them.

I have got past this bit, but only by using tens of credits and/or save states. After decades, I can’t learn a reliable method to get past it. Oh - and I usually end up with the sodding torch at this point too.

6 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Ghosts n Goblins (arcade). On the second half of the second level. Those flying things that jump from the window almost always lose me my armour. Then I get killed by those big trolls who won’t move far enough from the ladders for me to get up them.

I have got past this bit, but only by using tens of credits and/or save states. After decades, I can’t learn a reliable method to get past it. Oh - and I usually end up with the sodding torch at this point too.

I've been playing this on the Switch and there's a rewind option.  Even when taking full advantage of that the game is ridiculously hard. I actually gave up on it, it's just stupidly difficult.

See, I’ve just read the topic title and I thought you meant games where your in game character does not improve! ( ie does not upgrade ) what games are out there like that?

and don’t say any football game ever :lol:

Not being able to improve vs. Singapore's very best Street Fighter 4 players made me retire from vs. fighting games. Previously my favourite genre.

I was at the point where playing for 6-8 hours a day at Bugis Junction wasn't enough. After around six months I'd plateaued. Having to learn the entire game's frame data for all of the normal attacks inside-out was beginning to take over my office work, plus my office work was actually a damn sight more interesting than studying charts of contrasting numbers. It'd turned all 'academic', and the frame data that I did manage to burn into my brain wasn't proving much use other than highlighting to me that Street Fighter is simply a glorified version of multi-situational Top Trumps.

I'm only just beginning to get back into the old ones, thanks to MiSTer.

4 hours ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

See, I’ve just read the topic title and I thought you meant games where your in game character does not improve! ( ie does not upgrade ) what games are out there like that?

and don’t say any football game ever :lol:

That's what I assumed this thread was about when I opened it too: games where all the skills it's possible to perform are open to you from the very start.

The Skate games are like that. It was one of the selling points that they had against the THPS series.