Ps Plus April 2021 - Oddworld: Soulstorm, Days Gone and Zombie Army 4: Dead War

I think I've played Zombie Army 4 on Stadia when I had a trial period and it was a Pro freebie. It was OK, but glitchy on Stadia. The Sniper Elite game its built on is very solid.

That's a good month, Oddworld nothwithstanding (and that's still not an ungenerous offering.)

Days Gone is a lot of game, and a decent one. Zombie 4 should be fun.

I would have bought Oddworld anyway, so this looks like an excellent month. Although Oddworld has been in development for so long that I wonder what's going on - it was announced in 2016, and it doesn't sound that complex an endeavour.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Days Gone is the only game I've ever got the Platinum for. It's also rare in that it's a single player game which gets better and better as it progresses. Bear with it.

I don't have the Platinum for it but it's probably my second favourite PS4 exclusive after Bloodborne.

I don't normally care for open world, don't care at all for anything biker related, am burned out on post apocalyptic scenarios, but this game was just relentless fun. It does start a bit slow slow and, arguably the progress through the upgrade paths is too slow but it never held me back and I came to genuinely care for the characters and that never happens. And had a blast all the way through...

It is a brilliant game.

Days Gone is such an underrated game.

It seems generic as fuck in its opening hours but blossoms into something that I found quite brilliant. Its world is beautiful, its characters engaging and its core gameplay loop far more compelling than it initially appears.

I’d highly recommend playing it on at least hard difficulty though as it then becomes a proper survival horror game and all its systems and progression mechanics reveal themselves to be beautifully pitched to create many moments of frantic and desperate terror. Many a time I was down to my last few bullets and chucking a Hail Mary molotov over my shoulder at a lunging freaker as I leapt through the smashed window of a derelict diner. I don’t think you’d really get those moments of emergent brilliance and high tension with such regularity if playing it on the easier difficulties.

On the contrary, play it on easy first for a few hours so you can get through to the good stuff quickly. The game becomes amazing when you’ve made a few unlocks and have access to your full toolbox.

2 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Days Gone is such an underrated game.

It seems generic as fuck in its opening hours but blossoms into something that I found quite brilliant. Its world is beautiful, its characters engaging and its core gameplay loop far more compelling than it initially appears.

I’d highly recommend playing it on at least hard difficulty though as it then becomes a proper survival horror game and all its systems and progression mechanics reveal themselves to be beautifully pitched to create many moments of frantic and desperate terror. Many a time I was down to my last few bullets and chucking a Hail Mary molotov over my shoulder at a lunging freaker as I leapt through the smashed window of a derelict diner. I don’t think you’d really get those moments of emergent brilliance and high tension with such regularity if playing it on the easier difficulties.

20 minutes ago, bumgut said:

I recommend hard to start with too. Becomes a stealth shooter in the early hours and can get very tense.

Personally I went for Survival mode with no fast travel. If you're the type of person who plays shooters on hard I'd definitely recommend it. Early on you can't hold much fuel but it just means you have to plan carefully. The game becomes much easier in the second half and you turn from the hunted to the hunter, even on the higher difficulties. I think the struggle is definitely worth it for anyone who likes a challenge.

Interesting to see Days Gone getting praise, I discounted it after its first trailer where it seemed like it'd be the worst kind of *trudge* *fight* *Trudge* *similar fight*  *Trudge* *tedious cut scene where characters act completely differently to the interactive bits* *trudge* *Yet another identical fight* kind of Uncharted 4 mess.

I honestly think it was kind of written off before it launched. The focus was all on God of War, Horizon and whatever else, Days Gone felt like the 5th wheel. Look, we have all these great games and Days Gone. I can understand why though. A new IP set in an open world with zombies, talk about a buzzkill.

I don't think the technical issues helped at all but this linked to the pacing issues killed it for the 8 and 9 out of ten scores it deserves.

You can imagine your typical reviewer trying this for the first six hours and, quite rightly, thinking it's generic, poorly written and buggy. But it blossoms into a beautiful thing soon after, and especially when the hordes become a thing. The writing noticeably improves after a bit of a duff set-up too.

Oh absolutely. I have difficulty pinpointing exactly when the game opens up, but as you said the first 6 hours or so is bog standard open world with zombies shit with added superficial character drama. But it gets better, much better. One of my favs from last generation, personally I rank it higher than Horizon.

Being open world put me off Days Gone (I haven't tried Spiderman or Horizon for the same reason and the semi-open bloat of God of War stopped it being a 9 out of 10 for me) but the sheer number of zombies at once does look like daft fun so I might give it a go.

14 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Being open world put me off Days Gone (I haven't tried Spiderman or Horizon for the same reason and the semi-open bloat of God of War stopped it being a 9 out of 10 for me) but the sheer number of zombies at once does look like daft fun so I might give it a go.

Spider-Man is an absolute delight to play when traversing the world. The swinging is absolute ASMR amazingness.

56 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Although it would be better to play Spider-Man first for the story, Miles Morales might suit you better, combat is more refined and it benefits from being shorter with less repetition. Both are amazing games though.

Spiderman is "open world" but given that world is about 1x3 miles and you get fast travel near instantly you could pretty much play it like it's not.

Man, Zombie Army is an absolute hoot. Very light on story and cutscenes, extremely heavy on getting slow-motion headshots on fascist zombies - but despite the lack of story, it really nails that 2000AD feel of lurid black comedy. It's got all the testicle-poppin' action of Sniper Elite, and none of the hanging around waiting for the wind to blow in a certain direction.

I got Days Gone in the PS Plus collection but delighted its being opened up to a wider audience. Such a great game, I started it a few weeks ago and have poured about 40 hours in so far - unheard of for me nowadays. It’s just so fun. I’m even playing it on lunch breaks from home working!