PS5 in Q1. What have I missed?

My projector broke at the start of the year so i've been without a display until last night.

I had sunk quite a few hours into Demon Souls* and absolutely loved it but now I think i'm too scared to go back to it.. 

Has there been any good releases in the last quarter that I may have missed? Have a long weekend coming up so I am thinking about Mortal Shell which looks like a Dark Souls lite and maybe Ghost of Tsushima, as i heard that got a patch for PS5 and it looks fantastic.

Any other good releases this quarter or upcoming? I feel out of touch.

First, PS4 games such as God of War, No Man's Sky, Ghosts of Tsushima, Outer World and (many) more received PS5 patches which generally adds a higher resolution, 60 fps and other changes. Go through your library and see what's available.

Be sure to not skip Astro's World or whatever it's called. It's really good and for free.

If you can be bothered, Demon's Souls.

If you like(d) Spider-man, check out Miles Morales.

Sackboy Adventure is supposedly jolly good.

Bugsnax is a... unique palette changer.

If you're on PS+, you have Bugsnax, Control and 2 or 3 other PS5 games already.

Nothing that you have missed. Looking at the release schedules for all consoles this year is fairly depressing, there is nothing there that really stands out. It seems covid has impacted everything.

There's one unambiguous exclusive, which is the freebie Astrobot. That is a fun time and gives you a good demo of the system and its controller and you will likely enjoy it.

There's the Demon's Souls remake, which pedants would say isn't exclusive on account of it being a remake. But it is excellent, and another good "look at my PS5" game.

Then there's a few Sony-exclusives, but cross-gen ones. Spider-Man Miles Morales is an excellent mini-sequel to the previous game, very much looks the part on PS5 and you would probably enjoy. There's Sackboy's Big Adventure (or something like that) which is colourful and fun, supports local and online co-op and is pretty sizable also. I would recommend both of those.

Through PS Plus, if you've been collecting them, you'll already have Bugsnax (lol) Control Ultimate Edition, Maquette (irritating twee indie puzzler) and Destruction All-Stars. Outside of Control, not huge recommendations there. Oddworld in a few days.

Notable Sony games you may already own that got PS5 patches include: Ghost of Tsushima, God Of War, Days Gone, Ratchet and Clank (which you may already have for free as part of Play At Home.) If you buy the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales (and it is annoyingly only available via the Ultimate or a £20 upgrade to the Standard edition) you will get the PS5 update to the original Spider-Man game.

Games that got good PS5 updates include Destiny 2 and WRC9.

Returnal is nearly released, and is the next big PS5 exclusive. I think Deathloop and the new Ratchet and Clank aren't far behind.

Sackboys adveventure is brilliant and not to be missed. To be honest there may not be a lot of exclusives at the moment but there isn't many bad games about either.

This topic is interesting, because the question is "What has come out this year?" basically, and all the answers "Here are the amazing launch games from last November and...ugh...some patches?"

I love my PS5 to death, but you've missed almost nothing in Q1 bar Hitman 3.

Q2 looks a little better. We'll see, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I love my PS5 to death, but you've missed almost nothing in Q1 bar Hitman 3.

The Play At Home games are probably the other significant release

There was also Control UE on PS Plus if you added that, can’t remember when that was though.

14 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm assuming most of the stuff that got next gen upgrades on xbox recently did on ps5 too. You won't have played all of them and they're much better now. 

Not so much: PS5 has a much bigger problem with backwards enhanced compatibility - requires moving to a different tool chain rather than just turning on a “detect you’re on a Xbox series console”.

20 minutes ago, footle said:

Not so much: PS5 has a much bigger problem with backwards enhanced compatibility - requires moving to a different tool chain rather than just turning on a “detect you’re on a Xbox series console”.

I know that, I'm thinking more of the full next gen 'ports'. 

Borderlands 3 is one I've been enjoying, it's a far, far better game now with 60fps and minimal loading. 

23 minutes ago, footle said:

If there’s a 4K Pro version with an unlocked framerate then you’ll benefit, recent example that I’m playing is Project Cars 3 where it maintains 60fps much better on PS5.

2 hours ago, footle said:

Oh really? Which ones haven’t had the upgrade? Funnily enough I’ve found the Xbox threads have been quite useful for upgrade patch news in general. Fallen Order, Doom Eternal and the Battlefield games have all been upgraded for PS5 and the Metro Exodus one coming is substantial too.

It really is catchup-on-the-last-gen time at the moment. Which is the same as the start of every gen I suppose, but this time a bit shinier on your new box.

Of course, the real party right now is hunting monsters on Switch.

The Nioh Collection is another fantastic package. 

Came out in Q1 and it's probably the best Soulslike ever made, though it's so much more than that. The combat is ridiculously good.

21 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'm assuming most of the stuff that got next gen upgrades on xbox recently did on ps5 too. You won't have played all of them and they're much better now. 

Yakuza: Like a Dragon, is an absolute gem.

I'm surprised that Sackboy Adventure keeps getting mentioned. Completed it last night, and it's fine and everything but it's far from unmissable. Outside the music based levels I found it very generic launch title fare (I know its on PS4 too). I regret paying full price for it.

1 hour ago, pledge said:

I'm surprised that Sackboy Adventure keeps getting mentioned. Completed it last night, and it's fine and everything but it's far from unmissable. Outside the music based levels I found it very generic launch title fare (I know its on PS4 too). I regret paying full price for it.

Did you play it through with anyone else? I think it probably benefits massively from co-op as I’ve had a great laugh playing it with my daughter. I think they did a great job expanding on the LBP world.

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Did you play it through with anyone else? I think it probably benefits massively from co-op as I’ve had a great laugh playing it with my daughter. I think they did a great job expanding on the LBP world.

Always with at least two people.

Paid full whack for ghost of Tsushima and it's rather special! Pumped 4 hours in tonight. It looks incredible in 4k on the big screen. Also bought mortal shell so will give that a whirl this weekend too.

PXL_20210402_120413120.jpg

PXL_20210402_124649861.jpg