Strictly Limited Games / Limited Run Games

Is there a thread for these? If so feel free to lock this up guys,

My Collectors Edition of Coffee Talk for the Switch has just been despatched, dependant on how it all looks I think I’m going to start collecting a good few of the titles, they seem to hold their value well, I paid about £80 for a copy of Moero Chronicles on eBay when I was going through an obscure Japanese Switch Game phase,

Anybody else got any of them? Any news / upcoming titles anyone knows about?

Yup, it’s a sad state of affairs isn’t it.:( Unless you’re there at the beginning to lay down a preorder, you are locked out of the party. The whole physical edition business model seems to revolve around viewing titles as investments now.

I have a copy of doorkickers action squad on the ps4. It took about a gazillion years to turn up, by which time I grabbed it in the sale for no money.

I do keep an eye out for the odd physical release that interests me, such is the nature of the hoarder within...

I ordered Scott Pilgrim months ago and it still hasn’t dispatched even though it’s been out on the eShop for ages. I really don’t like their production model - preordering games that are out but you don’t get until months later? I don’t think I’ll be bothering again.

EDIT: and $15 for delivery? Get tae.

That’s because they now make them to order. Before they’d actually make say 3000 copies and make them for sale but have realised that actually limiting their releases isn’t great for business especially when so many people were buying them as an investment. So now they make as many pre orders as they get. It also means they now release multiple titles a week compared to a lot fewer releases before. Not sure either way is a good or bad thing though.

It sucks but the market trends now make me think that this stuff is made mainly for people who will never actually open said games and will buy it digitally anyway if they really want to play them.

I do have some appreciation for their official stance that they only go into production once a 'final' version of a game is released; so that as long as the physical media survives, you have a pre-patched (and fully DLC'd, where appropriate) version of the game, with no need for patch/licence server access.

They're definitely not the place to go for launchday - or even near-launchday - access to a game, though, that's for sure.

(I also far prefer their 'production to meet demand' model vs the fun time of their old '1,000 preorders gone in an instant' - not least as, again, they've always skewed significantly outside of release window anyway, so it doesn't feel like much, if any, time is being added on by it)

22 hours ago, Wiper said:

I do have some appreciation for their official stance that they only go into production once a 'final' version of a game is released; so that as long as the physical media survives, you have a pre-patched (and fully DLC'd, where appropriate) version of the game, with no need for patch/licence server access.

But there's no way this can work - how do they know there'll be no more patches? Some games keep getting patches *years* later.

I find the business model of these limited run games companies quite odd. I can understand why you might want to buy reproductions of Mega Drive cartridges, as it ties in with the retro feel - the version of Darius Extra that they are selling seems cheaper than an original copy. 

But Limited Run games seem to be selling a compilation of Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 on PS4, on disk, for $40 (plus however much it is for postage and packaging). Who on earth is that aimed at? You can buy the games digitally for much less than that. Why would anyone buy Doom on PS4 in a less convenient format for more money? It’s even in a standard PS4 game box. It feels like they’re preying on people’s desire to collect stuff. It makes sense with stuff that’s genuinely rare, but you can run Doom on microwaves and printers. 

26 minutes ago, K said:

I find the business model of these limited run games companies quite odd. I can understand why you might want to buy reproductions of Mega Drive cartridges, as it ties in with the retro feel - the version of Darius Extra that they are selling seems cheaper than an original copy. 

But Limited Run games seem to be selling a compilation of Doom, Doom II and Doom 3 on PS4, on disk, for $40 (plus however much it is for postage and packaging). Who on earth is that aimed at? You can buy the games digitally for much less than that. Why would anyone buy Doom on PS4 in a less convenient format for more money? It’s even in a standard PS4 game box. It feels like they’re preying on people’s desire to collect stuff. It makes sense with stuff that’s genuinely rare, but you can run Doom on microwaves and printers. 

Some people refuse to buy digital - if you’ve listened to the ugvm podcast, you’d have heard Kendrick bang on about this all the time. Given the closing of digital stores, I can understand the stance.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Some people refuse to buy digital - if you’ve listened to the ugvm podcast, you’d have heard Kendrick bang on about this all the time. Given the closing of digital stores, I can understand the stance.

That makes sense (sort of) for obscure digital-only games, but for Doom? If you have a device capable of accessing the internet, you can play Doom on it. It’s not going away any time soon. I don’t quite see what value they’re adding by making it available on disk. 

15 hours ago, deKay said:

But there's no way this can work - how do they know there'll be no more patches? Some games keep getting patches *years* later.

Obviously it does come with the caveat 'within reason', but they hold back past the initial flurry of patches so you're getting something that should be solidly playable with or without a server to access; so e.g. Pixeljunk Monsters 2 is prepackaged with all its DLC and at version 1.03; Grandia HD Collection is pre-patched to version 1.01.19, etc.

2 hours ago, K said:

That makes sense (sort of) for obscure digital-only games, but for Doom? If you have a device capable of accessing the internet, you can play Doom on it. It’s not going away any time soon. I don’t quite see what value they’re adding by making it available on disk. 

Yeah, stuff like that does feel a lot less worthwhile to me. I like having physical copies of games so that I don't have to worry about losing access to the digital versions if the server is taken down/my account is lost, but for widely available games like the Doom trilogy I find it a lot less compelling. I guess if you absolutely wanted to make sure you never lost access to the portable, Switch versions of them and Doom 64 I could just about see the value, but for most those are just going to be collecting for collecting's sake.

34 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, stuff like that does feel a lot less worthwhile to me. I like having physical copies of games so that I don't have to worry about losing access to the digital versions if the server is taken down/my account is lost, but for widely available games like the Doom trilogy I find it a lot less compelling. I guess if you absolutely wanted to make sure you never lost access to the portable, Switch versions of them and Doom 64 I could just about see the value, but for most those are just going to be collecting for collecting's sake.

Yes, exactly. The target market seems to be people who collect games with a gap on their shelves, but companies like this are creating the gap by releasing digital-only games on physical media. 

I've bought an amount of LRG games and also pix'n'love. I only get games that are fully patched and finished. Celeste was a big exception iirc as the dev decided to release another DLC for it, and they then delayed it for over a year to make sure they sold a complete game. I do think people were offered refunds if they didnt want to wait.

Newly released games are not normally fully patched.

I've also heard that super meat boy will be there last vita release but are holding it back to compete with eastasiasofts releases.

I have loads of Limited Run Games as well as stuff from Super Rare, Strictly Limited, Special Reserve and countless others. It’s annoying that the physical market largely forces you to buy immediately unless it goes up in price at a later, but ultimately I love physical games and will always take it if the option is there.

One upside is that the games hold their value and can sometimes go out of control. I don’t think I have ever sold a switch game for less than I paid for it.

My Coffee Talk Collectors Edition for the Switch came today and like a true weirdo I’m going to keep it in its wrapping and have spent another £15 downloading the game off the eShop instead :facepalm:

Ive also ordered Alex Kidd and Stardew Valley Collectors Editions today, the first game I ever played and my favourite game of the last decade. The Mrs has agreed that I can have a display unit in the lounge with a “few” of my games on so I thought I’d invest in a couple of nice Collectors Editions 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody that ordered Scott Pilgrim physical for switch received their copy yet? I received an email with a tracking number three weeks ago now and the tracking numbers still not working and there’s no sign of the game?

1 hour ago, Flockheart said:

Has anybody that ordered Scott Pilgrim physical for switch received their copy yet? I received an email with a tracking number three weeks ago now and the tracking numbers still not working and there’s no sign of the game?

Nope. I emailed them about a week ago and got this reply:

I hope you are having a good day!
I do apologize as it appears we are currently experiencing an issue with a batch of tracking numbers at this time. We are working closely with our Shipping Partner to get this issue resolved.

Unfortunately, we do not have a full list of orders that are affected to confirm if your order is one of them. However, we have been informed that those packages are still on their way and that it is still possible that your order can be delivered to you without any tracking updates showing.

We do consider shipments lost in transit 30 days out from the last tracking update without a recorded delivery. In a case where there are no tracking updates, the last update would be considered the initial ship date. If you don't receive your shipment in that timeframe just send us an update, either via this same ticket thread or as a new ticket and we'll be able to initiate a lost in transit case at that time. 

On 02/04/2021 at 10:45, deKay said:

I really don’t like their production model - preordering games that are out but you don’t get until months later? I don’t think I’ll be bothering again.

I prefer this model of ordering and wish more industries would do the same.

I buy vinyl records and the usual bullshit is "Pre-Order now for release in 6 months" and then the bastard thing sells out in the pre-order phase in 1 day because they have already agreed to only press a 1,000 copies or some horseshit.

I'd rather have a pre-order window - the window closes - they manufacture the required amount - you get what you want. 

The alternative, in the vinyl market, are wankers buying them to sell them on at double the price because they hardly ever get reissued.

On 01/04/2021 at 19:28, CovisGod said:

Is there a thread for these? If so feel free to lock this up guys,

My Collectors Edition of Coffee Talk for the Switch has just been despatched, dependant on how it all looks I think I’m going to start collecting a good few of the titles, they seem to hold their value well, I paid about £80 for a copy of Moero Chronicles on eBay when I was going through an obscure Japanese Switch Game phase,

Anybody else got any of them? Any news / upcoming titles anyone knows about?

I have a LOT of the LRG ones, think up until #50, I had missed only 3, Another World, West of Loathing and something else, it was at that point I decided I wasn't quite right in the head and needed to stop, only bying the games I wanted.

Since then I have ony bought #94 and #96, Knights and Bikes and Scott Pilgrim, they will both ship together.

I've got doubles of some of the older titles, plus with Bloodstained, I got the collectors and standard editions, the Banjo styled box version of Yooka Laylee and everything is still bloody sealed.

I did once get one of the plates for where they print the cards they include, that was a nice bonus, only a few of the Special Reserve ones, as they were knocking about around the time I realised I was being daft buying all these games I'd never play or had any actual interest in, at some point I am definitely going to thin them out, although the sales man in me keeps thinking they are likely to appreciate in 20 years, urghh.

On 02/04/2021 at 10:45, deKay said:

I ordered Scott Pilgrim months ago and it still hasn’t dispatched even though it’s been out on the eShop for ages. I really don’t like their production model - preordering games that are out but you don’t get until months later? I don’t think I’ll be bothering again.

EDIT: and $15 for delivery? Get tae.

It's nice to know that your Switch cart will be there forever though, unlike the digital game, which will eventually go away.

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

I have a LOT of the LRG ones, think up until #50, I had missed only 3, Another World, West of Loathing and something else, it was at that point I decided I wasn't quite right in the head and needed to stop, only bying the games I wanted.

Since then I have ony bought #94 and #96, Knights and Bikes and Scott Pilgrim, they will both ship together.

I've got doubles of some of the older titles, plus with Bloodstained, I got the collectors and standard editions, the Banjo styled box version of Yooka Laylee and everything is still bloody sealed.

I did once get one of the plates for where they print the cards they include, that was a nice bonus, only a few of the Special Reserve ones, as they were knocking about around the time I realised I was being daft buying all these games I'd never play or had any actual interest in, at some point I am definitely going to thin them out, although the sales man in me keeps thinking they are likely to appreciate in 20 years, urghh.

It's nice to know that your Switch cart will be there forever though, unlike the digital game, which will eventually go away.

*Where* forever though. It’s clearly not coming.