Got a Twitch or YouTube channel? Promote yourself here!

Doctor Shark

ok, i cant resist an opportunity to pimp my youtube.

https://youtube.com/user/AvexFuddle

I started this last year, mainly playing old arcade games in mame, and seeing if i could actually figure them out with a couple of credits. And this year i started trying out a few different things to keep it interesting. but i gotta say you tube is a lot harder than i thought. i count over 20 views on a video as very successful!

it feels a bit weird to try and pick the best, as im not sure any are that great.

(and dont worry, you wont see my stupid face or hear my stupid voice in any of my videos)

My main thing this year is hopefully going to Formula One videos, I'm going to play different games for each real world race, and keep a total of all the points, there's a thread for that in the retro section. 

I stream on Twitch now and then (twitch.tv/joffocakes), a little more frequently at the moment as I'm working from home and got a new laptop powerful enough to stream reliably. So just testing out some overlays and the like . Gonna play a few Master System games I didn't get to play enough as a Nintendo kid and some Street Fighter;  @Jonster kindly clipped the 3rd Strike round from earlier today where I got hit with seven overheads in a row:

https://clips.twitch.tv/SourReliableHorseradishLitty--eg2nd3x41kfKRgP

Just started streaming myself yesterday, my channel is https://www.twitch.tv/mystacon

Currently playing Subnautica. I've gone through and followed the Twitch streamers in this thread, will subscribe to the Youtubers later.

Still early days, trying to chat a bit even when there's no one watching just to get in the habit!

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks in and I’m really enjoying streaming so far! Been playing Subnautica and I think it’s a good fit as it allows for a bit of chat whilst playing. I tried Resi 8 and it didn’t feel as good.

Only need a few more followers to get me over the line for affiliate by next Tuesday I think. Any follows appreciated!

I never posted me.

The main point of the channel is Yesterzine, a show where I take an issue of an old games magazine and play the highest and lowest scored games to see what time has done to both.  There's also a cover feature where I find something in the magazine that's interesting, especially in comparison to today's games and a back page advert for something good online, including at least a couple of the other posts in this thread.  Also includes exactly 1 "Your mum" joke per episode.

We've done the epic Amiga Power trilogy, including a dramatic recreation of the kick off 96 review from the viking funeral issue but as good a place to jump in as any would be the Sega Saturn themed episode from last year including Gaming Heaven : Sega Rally, a passionate defence of the Saturn version of Virtua Racing and the worst game I've ever seen on a Saturn.

I do also sometimes grab other interesting curiosities that don't fit the series, often Master System themed.  Here's a couple of recent examples.

• 5 weeks later...

I hit Affiliate with Twitch today, two months after I started streaming. It's mad to think this random decision I made has now led to me potentially earning (very little) money for sitting around doing something I was doing anyway! As soon as I hit Affiliate a group of the people I've made friends with during this time all came and immediately subbed to my channel which is another thing I don't really understand but massively appreciate!

Edit: @Mystacon I missed you'd posted in here so I have followed you now. Apparently you've been live for 8 hours and you're still live right now :lol:

How have we got into two pages of this and not mentioned TCGS? A podcast that originated from a rllmuk podcast over a decade ago and has morphed into the greatest gaming podcast out there and has been streaming on twitch for multiple years. One of the presenters, our very own JCFARLEY is without a doubt the greatest game streamer of our time. 

If you've never experienced a stream from Farley, you're missing out. Just watch ONE minute of this and you'll see what I mean.

11 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

@Mystacon I missed you'd posted in here so I have followed you now. Apparently you've been live for 8 hours and you're still live right now :lol:

Good job I saw this! Somehow when I was on my computer around 4pm yesterday I must’ve accidentally started streaming and it was going until this morning! Oops.

Cheers for the follow!

Not gaming related and very early days with mine. It started by me jumping well and truly outside my comfort zone by making a lockdown music video and posting to youtube at the start of the first lockdown (I’d not even sung in front of anyone let alone make a video)

Subsequently, I’ve made a few short videos focussed around mental health and the workplace. I mainly share these with my LinkedIn network and at work to help normalise conversations around mental health but am thinking about where to take things next.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCmG-AV7-uJBJX0r6Sve_fnA

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed last night. Pretty much no one watched but I've been massively depressed lately and just being able to talk about something I love while occasionally answering the odd question cheered me up no end. May try streaming some steam shmups tonight just to see if my PC can handle something faster moving.

Biggest issue last night was having the comments obscuring cards so people couldn't see them, but I've solved that now. (I think).

Followed all the Twitch channels. Will do YouTube later :) (although I have most)

@strider I enjoyed what I caught during the Magic stream even though I know nothing about the game! :D I’d definitely tune in for more stuff though.

On my own Twitch I’m broadcasting some local recordings of FFVI (aka FFIII) gameplay, since I can’t do uploads yet. I recently reached Kefka’s Tower, so there are quite a few clips at http://twitch.tv/qazimod/videos

(My YouTube is still my dumb mashup stuff - I’ve got a few ideas saved locally but they’re kind of in progress…)

21 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

@strider I enjoyed what I caught during the Magic stream even though I know nothing about the game! :D I’d definitely tune in for more stuff though.

On my own Twitch I’m broadcasting some local recordings of FFVI (aka FFIII) gameplay, since I can’t do uploads yet. I recently reached Kefka’s Tower, so there are quite a few clips at http://twitch.tv/qazimod/videos

(My YouTube is still my dumb mashup stuff - I’ve got a few ideas saved locally but they’re kind of in progress…)

Thanks. I think Arena works a lot better now due to all the cool animations and stuff that appear. Sadly I'm not the greatest of players, but oh well.

I'll make sure I follow in turn :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there a streaming hardware thread or one with pointers for the stuff needed? My kids are interested but I imagine it will be short lived so don't really want to spend a lot. I have an ok PC and reasonable laptop and they would want to do Xbox stuff. I think they would be happy learning about setting it up and recording stuff rather than/as well as streaming. The main thing they want is a video of them doing something good whilst having their camera video in the corner :lol:

Xbox natively streams to twitch so that's a freebie.

For the PC, OBS is free - https://obsproject.com/

The only "hardware" I can imagine you need for those things is headset or mic and maybe a cam if they want to go on cam. For both these things you can spend any amount from "Car boots sale" to "How much have you got?"

Another PC option for your consideration: Twitch have free (beta) software of their own that's really nice for novices: https://www.twitch.tv/broadcast/studio - I jumped between OBS, XSplit and Twitch Studio, and although I like XSplit for my own needs, Twitch Studio seems pretty user friendly in terms of integration and usability. You'll need a Twitch user account, of course, but it has a lot of Twitch user stuff integrated in the app - chat view, categories, tags, chroma key options, webcam options, hotkeys - there's a lot less hopping between windows. :D 

My only caveat is that I last used it back in 2019, so I don't know how much it has changed!

Thanks both. Yeah they want a camera showing them in the corner so that’s a key part of it I guess, how to combine the Xbox footage and that, some kind of capture device is needed it seems. Shame the Kinect broke a couple of weeks back and MS don’t have any servicing options.

I was reading up on OBS, thanks 

I'm not kidding when I say you can spend you want and I rarely use the webcam for my internet endeavours but this is what I use daily for work and is also a reasonably popular youtube choice.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Calling-Recording-Microphones-Adjustable/dp/B006A2Q81M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35EDDT45LLRUL&dchild=1&keywords=logitech+webcam&qid=1633899050&sprefix=logit%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-3

It is constantly available for a lot less than it is as I link it.

I don't know why you'd need a capture card here, if they're only streaming xbox and PC both can stream themselves.

I have an Elgato for stuff like the Master System.

EDIT:  Although good point, not sure how the xbox handles cameras and voiceover.

4 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Don't let your kids use a camera for streaming to YouTube or Twitch. Fuck, I'd go as far as to say don't let them do it even without one.

It’s more for their own use - they want to record some videos but having their faces in the corner seems to be massively important to them.

They don’t/won’t have accounts, I’m hoping I can satisfy their desire by doing a few and that will be that. Like during lockdown we each had a camera and played hide & seek then put it together with each persons point of view. It wasn’t published/broadcast though.