Am I the only one who's played the Beta of this?

think it might be brilliant. I've had about 10 games and each one has been incredibly enjoyable filled with moments where you're constantly battling and trying to outwit each other. Honestly, it's worth giving a go while the Beta is still up.

Trailer:

Here's a clip from a game I played last night:

Honestly, the biggest shame is that I can't see this being anything but a massive flop after launch. Not because of the quality of the game, I just don't know if enough people will be interested in given it a real go.

2 minutes ago, Gabzy said:

It looks really fun from the trailer. Is it on Xbox? I'll definitely give it a go.

it is yeah. Its on Everything I think. Not sure how many of those you can play the beta on though.

Despite looking quite well polished there's something about the art-style that's just off and a bit mobile-esque. Can't really put my finger on it, might be the big-heads but genuinely there's just something unappealing despite it being something I'd love.

Yeah it looks oddly generic for something that is supposed to be so stylised, right? The Pirate Radio dressing doesn't really hit the mark either.

Thankfully the movement and gameplay is pretty much spot on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was released today, and is free for the first 10 days. Been playing a bit and quite enjoying it so far - gets pretty intense, actually. Something I could see myself picking up and playing every so often when time's a bit short.

On 04/04/2021 at 20:21, Retroid said:

Despite looking quite well polished there's something about the art-style that's just off and a bit mobile-esque. Can't really put my finger on it, might be the big-heads but genuinely there's just something unappealing despite it being something I'd love.

The character design is awful ( not my cup of tea anyway ) I think they are trying to be very gender neutral. This would benefit greatly from a little injection of Nintendo or Sega mojo to really make it shine. Seems quite fun though, my son is really enjoying it at the mo.

Why does this have a price? Does nobody ever learn? "Free for 10 days" just means that people will rinse it for 10 days, and then find something else to play. A game like this really does need to embrace F2P mechanics to stand any chance, because right now it's going to be servers getting hammered followed by a huge drop-off of player numbers.

I didn't actually play the previous demo beyond tutorials, because matches kept disconnecting when trying to join. I loved the idea of this, though, and think that it could be very good if handled correctly. But I'm not sure it's going to be worth paying for what may well be an empty game in a month. EA have trod this path with Rocket Arena already, I can't work out why they're making the same mistake again.

23 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Why does this have a price? Does nobody ever learn? "Free for 10 days" just means that people will rinse it for 10 days, and then find something else to play. A game like this really does need to embrace F2P mechanics to stand any chance, because right now it's going to be servers getting hammered followed by a huge drop-off of player numbers.

I didn't actually play the previous demo beyond tutorials, because matches kept disconnecting when trying to join. I loved the idea of this, though, and think that it could be very good if handled correctly. But I'm not sure it's going to be worth paying for what may well be an empty game in a month. EA have trod this path with Rocket Arena already, I can't work out why they're making the same mistake again.

They have a built in user pool now as it’s on EA Play so they have the entire Gamepass subscription base on Xbox plus theOrogin and PS4/5 subscriber base.

I guess it’s an experiment to see if that can be enough?

4 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

They have a built in user pool now as it’s on EA Play so they have the entire Gamepass subscription base on Xbox plus theOrogin and PS4/5 subscriber base.

I guess it’s an experiment to see if that can be enough?

I hope it works, because the game is great fun and offers something different. I just fear that a couple of weeks from now that when someone fancies something other than Fortnite or Apex that they won't fancy paying £18, and so will just stick where they are.

Tutorials teach next to nothing! As in, you know how to do everything, but have no clue how to play. That is precisely what I was hoping for, and suggests that with anything like decent matchmaking there can be some nicely nail-biting matches. I'll download it on all platforms, hopefully it turns out to be worth buying on one of them.

Yeah I’ve already had a few matches where we were getting smashed but managed to pull ourselves together and fight back and go on to win.

it’s a lot of fun, but I don’t think it’ll be around for long tbh

Had a few rounds on this tonight and had a lot of fun! Not sure how it all works properly just had some 1 vs 1 private matches with my son. He mostly trashed be but at least I felt like I had a chance! 

Love how you can catch the ball and fling it straight back some intense gameplay moments. Also like how the level scenery add an additional obstacle at times too. Very fast game.

Yeah I played it with a full team last night and we had a fantastic time with it.  It can be really intense and when the teamwork starts to click you can really smash through teams. Once you’re up against another team who know more than just the basics you can have to really tight games.

Must admit I'm really enjoying this. Not a huge fan of online games such as Fortnite etc. However this is different. I like the fact the mechanics are so simple... and its easy to defend yourself. Catch the ball and throw it back! Its great fun. Getting shot at does not always end in a death. Sure its all about reaction time so very much twitch gaming but at least I feel like I have a chance... Seemingly only a small one against my ninja son who plays far too many online games. :) Although you can use strategy against. He has a habit of trying to bash me off buildings etc. So a jump at the correct time will send him falling into oblivion.

Best way of describing this for older gamers is that it's like Speedball on steriods. 

The movement in this is great fun, chaining jumps, somersaults, pirouettes and dashes and rolling around.

Had a good evening getting to grips with it, absolutely smashing the enemy one game and then going up against a proper team and getting annihilated but learning something new every match.

Huge scope for clutch moments, I was shouting!

It failed to get me into a match twice and then slapped a five minute ban on me. First time the loading screen just stayed up while I could hear the match going on, the second it booted me to dash. Anyone else had problems?

Apparently EA rules state kids under 13 (their profiles) can’t play online, so my friend’s son can’t enjoy this, kid-friendly online only title. 

Facepalm. 

21 hours ago, MattKB said:

Apparently EA rules state kids under 13 (their profiles) can’t play online, so my friend’s son can’t enjoy this, kid-friendly online only title. 

Facepalm. 

That’s shit. I’ve tried this today and thought my 11 year old boy would love it. :( 

On 30/05/2021 at 08:09, Eighthours said:

This is fun. Seems like lots of people are breaking my lock-on before I can throw, though. Are they just dodging? It doesn’t seem entirely clear. 

I’m still figuring it out, but I think X brakes lock ons. There’s extra training from the menu. 

Passing the ball seems to give a big advantage, but no one ever passes.