IGNORED

How do you do your weekly shop? / What's your meal planning process?

Jamie John

12 hours ago, Skykid said:

Speaking of over-engineering... my Dad wrote himself a program in Spectrum Basic, which he built up with a list of everything my parents bought on their weekly shop. He'd sit down with my mum for an hour poring over stuff to buy, then leave it for half an hour while it collated and indexed their choices. It would print out a shopping list on thermal paper, ordered by whichever shop sold things cheapest - I think this would usually have been the local supermarket, grocers and corner shop - each with a total expected spend. When he returned, he'd update the prices in the database according to his receipts, leaving it for half an hour to re-index and then save the data. It's only now that I type this out that I realise how ridiculous this all was, but it continued for a couple of years. In the wild-west of 80s home computing, he should probably have tried selling this program to other shopping-retentive weirdos. For someone who was a hobby programmer, it was pretty good, apart from whatever terrible sort algorithm he'd coded.

If he printed it out on Spectrum thermal paper, at least he didn't need to put toilet roll on his list!

Talking of toilet roll, that’s the one thing my wife always used to buy a 4 pack every week without fail whether we were running low or not. I’d always complain and so in mid-February I actually counted how many we had...29!

We had a wager and I said if she stopped buying we’d still have enough for months without running out. We settled on 1st April as the cut-off - she was sure it would be even earlier than that. As of today we still have about 13 left, so I should be doing double or quits for the 1st May and I’d still easily win. 

5 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

If he printed it out on Spectrum thermal paper, at least he didn't need to put toilet roll on his list!

:D Very true. It'd have been a step up from the nasty tracing paper toilet roll we had in primary school, at least.

On 09/04/2021 at 08:36, OneDvBmbr said:

Talking of toilet roll, that’s the one thing my wife always used to buy a 4 pack every week without fail whether we were running low or not. I’d always complain and so in mid-February I actually counted how many we had...29!

We had a wager and I said if she stopped buying we’d still have enough for months without running out. We settled on 1st April as the cut-off - she was sure it would be even earlier than that. As of today we still have about 13 left, so I should be doing double or quits for the 1st May and I’d still easily win. 

Ha ha. I was actually embarrassed when I had an electrician in my flat to test for a new certification, and realised he'd been in my airing cupboard. It's nowhere near that bad numbers-wise, but seriously I have a brexit stockpile in there that will last a single bloke like me maybe until Christmas. FWIW, I'm planning on running it down a fair whack, but then maintaining it, just to be on the safe side.

Edit: Also there was no panic buying involved. I'd read that loo roll could be an issue when Brexit kicked in years ago, so just picked up the odd pack extra when I could carry it home. Most of my stockpile is a type that's been discontinued for about 3 years, at a guess (which is a shame - back then Sainsbury's basics 4 pack was good stuff. The replacement 9 pack is rubbish compared to it.)