Your Favourite Live Tracks (live performances)

Thought I would make a thread to share our favourite live music (also, it might help me discover some new bands from you guys :)

First up for me is in my opinion the greatest guitar player of all time playing jimi better than jimi. With all the behind the back tricks. I also adore stevies voice. Probably the only musician I can and will ever call a hero. May he rip. 

Rory Gallagher, who infamously is known as "the guy that jimi hendrix said is the greatest ever". 

Absolute genius. Total morals for his craft, turned down playing with some of the greatest bands ever.  Pure electric. RIP you beautiful man. 

I could go on, there is a good dozen tracks from erasure and hue and cry I love live but it can wait. 

• Ry changed the title to Your Favourite Live Tracks (live performances)

I remember being amazed by Bloc Party's first tv performance having not heard of them before, the speed of it. It's pretty much exactly what you want from an indie band appearing out of nowhere to make an impression. Well, i do. Extraordinary energy you never see on the program. Nothing remotely like it. 

The drummer is ridiculous. Such a great album opener, that. 

There are many even better than this, but this one is readily available to link to (it really kicks off from 2:40):

I would also pick this rock and roll hall of fame performance, although he was in pure show off mode it was worth it for the reactions of the rest of the band:

36 minutes ago, Nick R said:

This video isn't available in the UK; what is it?

Really? I'm uses to n having that happen to Australia.

Anyhoo, it's Metallica For Whom the Bell Tolls, Seattle 1989.

16 hours ago, Darwock said:

There are many even better than this, but this one is readily available to link to (it really kicks off from 2:40):

I would also pick this rock and roll hall of fame performance, although he was in pure show off mode it was worth it for the reactions of the rest of the band:

It's also worth it for the looks of pure joy and mischief on Prince's face.

My all time favourite live performance is Zeppelins Dazed and Confused from The Song Remains The Same (Page is just a god to me :) ), but at over 30 minutes I feel it's a bit long to post here.

So here are three live performances that really get my engine running :) 

And the greatest frontman/vocalist ever :D 

Huge shout for this mad, brilliant thing.

Then there's Sleaford Mods on Jools, Jason said that after the performance he said hello to Burt Bacharach. Bacharach gave him an incredible dirty look and ignored him. 

And then Radiohead from the basement. Gutted we never got one of these for A Moon Shaped Pool. It's all great but I love The Daily Mail (the song, not the right wing newspaper) so here's this. 

I notice that Zappa's Roxy the Movie is available for free on Amazon Prime Video right now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frank-Zappa-Mothers-Roxy-Movie/dp/B07PS2PPKL/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=zappa&qid=1617721096&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

Watch from 19 minutes when they start the Dog Breath Variations and wonder who all the musicians memorise their parts for the whole show. Even orchestras used to complain of the complexity of the work when they had the sheet music!

An oldie but a goldie! These guys are smooth. Some fantastic musicianship on display. Though I really don't think that altered Old Grey Whistle Test sign in the background would go down well these days! I'd love to know if it was the bands idea or the BBC thinking they were being clever/amusing

Pink Floyd’s Delicate Sound of Thunder tour at Wembley Stadium in 1988 was the first gig I ever went to. I bought the VHS around 1990ish and watched it at my friends place with her step-dad. He was a real old hippy and completely welled up when this came on. Stunning rendition of a stunning tune.

I still have the hots for Rachel Fury with the black-bob.

For me, live performances are about the connection between performers and crowd and I've never felt the two feeding off each other in a virtuous circle quite like at this gig.  I know a lot of people hate The Levellers, but screw them, because at their peak they were an amazing live and this was them at the very top of their game.  The crowd shots from 3.40 onwards show just how everybody was just so utterly into it.

They aren't on YouTube (I have MP3s) but also Terrorvision's first ever last ever gig at Penningtons Bradford is absolutely top notch with an amazing version of Fists of Fury.

And Pearl Jam in Leeds 2014 where the crowd sang the "I know some day you'll have a beautiful life" bit to "Black" with absolute fervour.