What's the best use of a tie-in or license?

I quite liked the back to the future game for only one level. Think it was where you had a top Down view of the McFly house and you had to get Jennifer out before anyone saw her. The rest was shit. 

Turtles in Time was great and special mention to the Looney tunes game on the SNES. 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Alien seems to do pretty well - the Electric Dreams Aliens game, AvP2, Isolation... :) 

It’s got a good success rate, certainly. 
I liked both C64 games. 

Alien Trilogy on the PlayStation was very effective. 
The side scrolling Aliens arcade game is great fun. 

There was a decent Simpson’s game on either Xbox or the 360 (can’t remember which.  Think it was called Hit & Run and it ripped off GTA mercilessly.

The Warriors on PS2 was immense, especially as a fan of the movie. 

Some of the Hokuto no Ken games are made much better by carrying the license (mainly just because people’s heads swell up and pop and I still like Mortal Kombat because gore).

1 hour ago, Halo said:

The original Micro Machines series?

This is what I came to say. Phenomenal use of that license; suited the spirit of the toys and the games were some of the best multiplayer times to be had.

Also Burger King: Sneak King.

Sneaky-Good-00.thumb.jpg.384ce5f8c3a2ae5b9027c104154e41a9.jpg

1 minute ago, joffocakes said:

This is what I came to say. Phenomenal use of that license; suited the spirit of the toys and the games were some of the best multiplayer times to be had.

Also Burger King: Sneak King.

Sneaky-Good-00.thumb.jpg.384ce5f8c3a2ae5b9027c104154e41a9.jpg

We can close the thread!

16 hours ago, Thor said:

Cyberpunk is a great (and apparently very faithful) use of the licence. But right now it's only good on PC.

Don’t you mean Stadia?!

19 hours ago, Oz said:

6631B338-2F2A-4935-8D70-162A5D656837.jpeg

Discussed on the latest UGVM podcast, in fact.

I remember really enjoying Total Recall on the CPC.  It was a platformer in the main, but one where you had to find your way around an elaborate maze, with doors and floors triggered by a few different colour switches.  You have to collect a number of items before finishing the level.  The enemies were pretty easy to defeat but they weren't the real challenge.

After finishing a platform level you had a dreary driving part which was actually more shmup - completely straight road, enemies needing to be destroyed.  And then back to platforming.

20 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I can't believe nobody mentioned Riddick yet

Just came out of nowhere - everything considered, it's the top of my pile.

Rocky on the OG Xbox was brilliant for it's time. Warriors from Rockstar was also an outstanding use of the license, right down to the recreated movie intro with game models.

Going further back, i'll always vouch for The Terminator on the Mega CD, and I really loved Robocop Vs Terminator for the Mega Drive as well. 

The Bourne game for the 360/PS3 was a good arcade blast. The context sensitive takedowns were really well animated , just a solid, satisfying game to play that could be done in a few sittings.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Also, other than Micro Machines I’d say this:

spacer.png

Bruce Lee feels like something way before its time. I haven't played it in years, but I recall it basically being like my (much) earlier version of Spelunky.  I kept on playing it well after I'd beaten it. It was just fun to play over and over again..

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

Outrun 2 / After Burner Climax

(couldn’t choose)

Are you mentioning these as tie-ins for Ferrari and the F-14 Tomcat?

A lot of these would have been just as good without the licence tacked on. Even Goldeneye, if I'm honest, is just a great shooter where you happen to be Bond.

What are the examples of great games that don't really work without the licence attached?

I think Alien Isolation fits that bill for me, because so much of that game is about the aesthetic that they captured perfectly, and the iconic Alien that carries a weight that an original creation would struggle to achieve.