What's the best use of a tie-in or license?

5 hours ago, Pob said:

Are you mentioning these as tie-ins for Ferrari and the F-14 Tomcat?

Yes (but not just the F-14, all the planes).

Then again, the licenses are the reason you can’t buy either of these games today. I suppose that’s not a particularly good use of a license.

I’ll change my pick to Star Wars Squadrons.

On 05/04/2021 at 19:49, Thor said:

Cyberpunk is a great (and apparently very faithful) use of the licence. But right now it's only good on PC.

Not sure if you’re being serious, but it’s absolutely excellent on Series X as well.

I love all those classic Capcom and Konami licensed beat-em-ups. The Punisher, Alien versus Predator, X-Men, Turtles in Time, Asterix & Obelix.

They’ve long since gone daft, but the Marvel licensed Capcom fighters were absolutely brilliant and brimming with character and style. 

My own personal favourite being Marvel Super Heroes on the Saturn - a good selection of heroes to choose from, lots of over the top specials and supers (without being ludicrous) and a capable, fun fighting game to boot. 

51 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not sure if you’re being serious, but it’s absolutely excellent on Series X as well.

Nah, I wasn't being serious, it's also great on Stadia. Right, @ZOK? ;)

The PC version of Cyberpunk is so far ahead of what's on the consoles it's not even funny.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Nah, I wasn't being serious, it's also great on Stadia. Right, @ZOK? ;)

The PC version of Cyberpunk is so far ahead of what's on the consoles it's not even funny.

What’s different with the PC version?

I'm not saying this is an amazing game or anything, but this would not be possible without the license

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Zombie Ninja Pro Am on the PS2

PUBG Mobile and Resident Evil. Survive till Dawn.

I'm not even kidding. This was one of the best Battle Royale modes I've ever played. The game played out on Erangel but matches unfold over three days and two nights, squeezed into one 30 minute round, and shake things up by introducing undead hordes from the Resident Evil 2 universe like the usual police zombies and Lickers.

Zombies drop loot and ammo and these moments were properly tense, but with the addition of the blue zone and of course other players it was just cracking fun. You could push other players under zombie attack and take advantage of the chaos and use the situations tactically.

The air drops also dropped a crate containing a Tyrant you had to defeat to get the loot. It even had RPD Police Station in it. It's such a shame this mode never made it to PC PUBG and only lasted like two weeks back in early 2019.

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a crime against humanity that Riddick isn't on Xbox BC.

It's a crime against humanity that Riddick isn't available AT ALL! its delisted completely everywhere, and the steam version stopped working due to some bullshit DRM that was in it (well, last time i tried edit just tried, does not work!).

The only way to aqquire it is to hit the high seas for the GOG version, which you also cant buy.

15 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

A lot of these would have been just as good without the licence tacked on. Even Goldeneye, if I'm honest, is just a great shooter where you happen to be Bond.

What are the examples of great games that don't really work without the licence attached?

I think Alien Isolation fits that bill for me, because so much of that game is about the aesthetic that they captured perfectly, and the iconic Alien that carries a weight that an original creation would struggle to achieve. 

For me Spider-Man PS4 which would be nowhere near as good if it was just a generic superhero with the same story - that game works because it’s the definitive Spidey experience and taps into that nostalgia and knowledge perfectly. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What’s different with the PC version?

Also, right now you may be playing Cyberpunk on your Series X, but you're actually playing the Xbox One version with the help of a little extra juice from the Series X. The official PS5 and Series X versions aren't out yet.

50 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

It's a crime against humanity that Riddick isn't available AT ALL! its delisted completely everywhere, and the steam version stopped working due to some bullshit DRM that was in it (well, last time i tried edit just tried, does not work!).

The only way to aqquire it is to hit the high seas for the GOG version, which you also cant buy.

What? I had no idea! I still have the OG Xbox version, the remaster on 360, and I have it on Steam. But if what you say is true the wutang could be dangerous the Steam version doesn't even work on my current Windows 10 set-up :(

I *think* I never bought the GOG version. I'm going to check this evening and if not, download the pirate version immediately.

On 05/04/2021 at 18:59, dumpster said:

I know this is weak but I'm having a ball playing '24 - The Game" on PS2.  It's not the best game I've ever played but it's good fun.  However it becomes something way better than it should be because they nailed the feel of it.  The music, the iconic tick, tick, tick, Keifer Sutherland and various other cast members providing the voices, the split screen.... 

I used to love 24, and the game captures the atmosphere and spirit of the TV show perfectly. Like I said, it's not the best game in the world but for a fan of the series it's really great.

So what's the best use of a licence you've seen over the years?  Is it just 24 and Goldeneye? Surely there's more....

LOST: Via Domus was exactly the same. 

In and of itself, it is not a great game. 

But playing it at the time of release, when the series was in full swing, it was brilliant. Especially the scene where you have to key in The Numbers (I played it on 360 and was able to plug in a USB keyboard for extra verisimilitude). 

22 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

LOST: Via Domus was exactly the same. 

In and of itself, it is not a great game. 

But playing it at the time of release, when the series was in full swing, it was brilliant. Especially the scene where you have to key in The Numbers (I played it on 360 and was able to plug in a USB keyboard for extra verisimilitude). 

i totally forgot about Via Domus but WHAT A GAME. absolutely bonkers but totally nailed the show. 

i miss that time where every high profile film and TV show got a tie in. 

2 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

No mention of Frankie Goes To Hollywood? Full of philosophy and politics.

f387097b57360fbf3abcfb67a64021be57b02019.jpg

Great article about this game on Eurogamer recently: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-13-the-making-of-frankie-goes-to-hollywood

I always wanted to play the Sigue Sigue Sputnik game that was advertised between the songs on their Flaunt It album, did that ever come out?

Around the time of the PS2/Xbox it seemed like every other game was licensed or a movie tie-in, they're a lot less common now - with all these big series on Netflix I would've thought game franchises based on them were a given.

On 05/04/2021 at 20:00, Oz said:

6631B338-2F2A-4935-8D70-162A5D656837.jpeg

I can't remember where I read / heard it, but this reminds me of this review excerpt (paraphrasing): "50 Cent was apparently very involved in the development of Blood on the Sand, and it makes sense, because it feels like it's been made by someone who has been shot 9 times"

2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I bought the GOG version a few years back for something riddickulous like 99p. It hasn't aged all that well imo.

Back then I thought it was the best thing ever! I can't imagine it has aged badly. You're making me sad :(

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Robocop, but only because it gave us the best game/white goods manufacturer theme tune ever.

I still prefer the 128k Spectrum version. The opening has that awesome “oooooooooOOO-WAAaaaaaaaa” which adds loads of atmosphere. The GB one is like a wall of sound in comparison.