Jupiter's Legacy - another hero show

Based on Mark Millar graphic novels. Coming to Netflix on 7 May.

https://deadline.com/video/jupiters-legacy-trailer-netflix-superhero-drama-josh-duhamel/

I suppose it's a bit different than most in that it's not introducing the world to superbiengs, but they've been around for nearly a century and the world is used to them. But now it's time for the next generation to take over.

I found the comic series it was based on really flimsy at best, and the spin-off Jupiter's circle and the second volume were no better.

Mark Millar is overhyped as it is after the random success of Kick-Ass, and this being so under the radar makes me think they dont have much faith in the product. 

But i suppose with Netflix owning his company they'll be churning out all his comics as tv shows before long. 

I really liked the idea of the comic - second-generation superheroes who are basically weird fuckups in the same way that the children of a-list celebrities are often weird fuckups, in conflict with their parents who are the equivalent of ageing, vain Old Hollywood actors. But despite having read both volumes, I can’t remember any of it and don’t recall finding it very satisfying. I don’t even remember absolutely hating it, in the same way that the absolute lameness of Nemesis is burned into my brain - it just went nowhere. A real shame, given that the art was by Frank Quitely and that Mark Millar is usually nothing but memorable, albeit often for the wrong reasons.

4 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

Along with Robert Kirkman, I find it quite depressing that mediocre comic writers like Millar seem to have so many of their books made into films/tv shows.

There's a part of me that wants its to fail tbh. Just because Millar is a massive edgelord cocky twat. 

I'd rather see many other worthy comic book get translated to the screen over any more of his shit tbh.  

Just now, cassidy said:

There's a part of me that wants its to fail tbh. Just because Millar is a massive edgelord cocky twat. 

I'd rather see many other worthy comic book get translated to the screen over any more of his shit tbh.  

He comes across as a really nice guy on Twitter, but yeah most of his comics are pretty terrible.

Just now, SaintAnselm said:

He comes across as a really nice guy on Twitter, but yeah most of his comics are pretty terrible.

Ah well I can't comment on twitter as i left that cesspit a longtime ago. 

Yeah they really are bad. I have come to revaluate his entire output in recent times. 

He always uses amazing artists though.  Always. 

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

Ah well I can't comment on twitter as i left that cesspit a longtime ago. 

Yeah they really are bad. I have come to revaluate his entire output in recent times. 

He always uses amazing artists though.  Always. 

I can only assume he pays really well as he pretty much gets all the top artists, sadly Frank Quitely doesn’t seem to work with anyone else lately, so I end up buying Millar’s comics just too see the formers beautiful art.

I don’t get how these average comics get made into movies and expensive series when you have a veritable treasure trove in 2000AD that is largely untouched. 

Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Zenith...that’s without thinking too hard. 

I guess it’s because the US market doesn’t know anything about 2000AD outside of Judge Dredd. 

10 hours ago, El Geet said:

I don’t get how these average comics get made into movies and expensive series when you have a veritable treasure trove in 2000AD that is largely untouched. 

Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Zenith...that’s without thinking too hard. 

I guess it’s because the US market doesn’t know anything about 2000AD outside of Judge Dredd. 

Because films based on Millar's comics have a track record of making money in a way that 2000AD doesn't.

Wanted, both Kingsman films, and both Kick-Ass films all made more money than Dredd:

https://m.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Kick-Ass/Wanted-(2008)/Kingsman-The-Secret-Service/Kingsman-The-Golden-Circle/Kick-Ass-2/Dredd

(I can't add a seventh film to that graph, but the Stallone Judge Dredd made more than Kick-Ass 2 - and more than both Kick-Ass films if you adjust for inflation.)

Also Millar has had Matthew Vaughn as his successful producing/directing partner in the movie industry; 2000AD doesn't have anyone like that. Alex Garland and Duncan Jones (who has been trying to make a Rogue Trooper movie) probably don't have as much clout as Matthew Vaughn.

12 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

I can only assume he pays really well as he pretty much gets all the top artists, sadly Frank Quitely doesn’t seem to work with anyone else lately, so I end up buying Millar’s comics just too see the formers beautiful art.

I think he has a system whereby the artist and the writer own the comic, rather than the publisher. So when he a film company or Netflix offers to buy something, the artist will have an equal say in who to sell it to, and will be entitled to a 50% cut (rather than whatever pittance DC or Marvel would offer the original artists). A lot of his comics are pretty poor, but you can see why artists would be queueing up to work with him given that everything he touches gets picked up by a film or TV studio.

He is an odd character, Mark Millar. To read his comics, you'd think he was some kind of right-wing ideologue, but he's a pro-Corbyn, anti-EU, pro-George Galloway, anti-SNP, millionaire philanthropist who also subscribes to David Icke's insane theories. I follow him on Twitter because he just seems like such a nice, generous, positive guy, and would probably count myself as a fan even though I could count the really good stuff he's done (Ultimates, Supercrooks, Kick-Ass, The Authority, American Jesus) on the fingers of one hand.

Huck was a lovely comic and not edgy at all.

Millar also gets a lot of love from me for how, after the top rate of tax was cut from 50 to 45%, he now gives 5% of his income to charity to make up for his reduction in taxes.

I forgot about Red Son. That's pretty good, speaking as someone who's never really been that bothered about Superman.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Because films based on Millar's comics have a track record of making money in a way that 2000AD doesn't.

Wanted, both Kingsman films, and both Kick-Ass films all made more money than Dredd:

https://m.the-numbers.com/movies/custom-comparisons-extended/Kick-Ass/Wanted-(2008)/Kingsman-The-Secret-Service/Kingsman-The-Golden-Circle/Kick-Ass-2/Dredd

(I can't add a seventh film to that graph, but the Stallone Judge Dredd made more than Kick-Ass 2 - and more than both Kick-Ass films if you adjust for inflation.)

Also Millar has had Matthew Vaughn as his successful producing/directing partner in the movie industry; 2000AD doesn't have anyone like that. Alex Garland and Duncan Jones (who has been trying to make a Rogue Trooper movie) probably don't have as much clout as Matthew Vaughn.

They’ve only ever made Judge Dredd movies though? Plus plenty of other bits and pieces get picked up without track record. Particularly for Netflix or Prime. 

Anyway, there is fertile ground is all I’m saying. 

13 hours ago, El Geet said:

Most of 2000AD's properties aren't typical Marvel/DC super-hero fair, which probably makes them more of a hard sell.

I would of thought Zenith would be an easy sell in the current climate though if it's not in rights hell anymore.

I guess we're reliant on Rebellion Studios now anyway for 2000AD on the screen. Hopefully they can have as much success as Marvel did when they started filming their own properties. 

I guess part of the reason is that Mark Millar is very good at coming up with high-concept ideas that can be put across in a single sentence. Like, what if Superman landed in Russia rather than Kansas? What if Batman was a total cunt? Superheroes pull off an Ocean's Eleven-style robbery. Chav* becomes a secret agent.

2000AD's stuff tends to be more in the execution than the idea. They're more a vehicle for black comedy and satire. That said, ABC Warriors could be boiled down to 'the Dirty Dozen, with robots' which sounds pretty high-concept. 

*I hate this word, but this was almost certainly the pitch for the comic.

11 hours ago, memories said:

Superman: Red Son though, so good.

Been years since I've read that, need to dig my copy out.

10 hours ago, K said:

I forgot about Red Son. That's pretty good, speaking as someone who's never really been that bothered about Superman.

I watched the 2020 film of Red Son this week. Didn't think much of it at all tbh.

23 hours ago, K said:

I guess part of the reason is that Mark Millar is very good at coming up with high-concept ideas that can be put across in a single sentence. Like, what if Superman landed in Russia rather than Kansas? What if Batman was a total cunt? Superheroes pull off an Ocean's Eleven-style robbery. Chav* becomes a secret agent.

2000AD's stuff tends to be more in the execution than the idea. They're more a vehicle for black comedy and satire. That said, ABC Warriors could be boiled down to 'the Dirty Dozen, with robots' which sounds pretty high-concept. 

*I hate this word, but this was almost certainly the pitch for the comic.

Apparently the whole Superman born in Russia was Grant Morrison's idea, and one of the reasons there's beef between the two. 

For me Millar is some edgelord, he would love to be like Grant Ennis but all his works come off as mean spirited.

8 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Apparently the whole Superman born in Russia was Grant Morrison's idea, and one of the reasons there's beef between the two. 

For me Millar is some edgelord, he would love to be like Grant Ennis but all his works come off as mean spirited.

I like Millar, but find it hard to disagree to be honest. Kick Ass 2 and Nemesis were absolutely horrible - feeble storylines, with rape and sexual assault scenes being chucked in there for no reason other than to push the readers' buttons. But at the same time, he doesn't come across as a mean-spirited person, and his best comics are really good. 

I get the sense he has a knack for very smooth, slick storytelling that's generally very superficial, which is why so much of his stuff reads like he's on autopilot, and also has a very base sense of humour and a high tolerance for disgusting things. Occasionally these things work in his favour, and you get stuff like Kick Ass or the Authority, but the stars align the opposite way and you get crap like Kick Ass 2.

3 minutes ago, K said:

I like Millar, but find it hard to disagree to be honest. Kick Ass 2 and Nemesis were absolutely horrible - feeble storylines, with rape and sexual assault scenes being chucked in there for no reason other than to push the readers' buttons. But at the same time, he doesn't come across as a mean-spirited person, and his best comics are really good. 

I get the sense he has a knack for very smooth, slick storytelling that's generally very superficial, which is why so much of his stuff reads like he's on autopilot, and also has a very base sense of humour and a high tolerance for disgusting things. Occasionally these things work in his favour, and you get stuff like Kick Ass or the Authority, but the stars align the opposite way and you get crap like Kick Ass 2.

I know he's meant to be actually a nice person in real life from hearing various accounts of him but Garth can develop wonderful characters and brings in deep themes that examine humanity, survival, war, oppression, sexuality, trauma etc. etc. Millar's work has no soul. Though admittedly I forgot about the Authority which I did enjoy.

27 minutes ago, yakumo said:

They fell out because Millar used Morrison's idea for the ending of Red Son. As far as I know, the comic's initial premise is all Millar's.

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

They fell out because Millar used Morrison's idea for the ending of Red Son. As far as I know, the comic's initial premise is all Millar's.

My apologies but yes you are correct,

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I thought it was the falling out over Morrison's ghost-writing on The Authority.

I suspect it was a number of things, not least of which is Millar being much richer and more successful than Morrison despite not being as good.

Has anyone actually watched the trailer in the first post? It seems to have generated no interest or discussion from anyone. 

14 minutes ago, K said:

Has anyone actually watched the trailer in the first post? It seems to have generated no interest or discussion from anyone. 

I guess people are fatigued by dark "realistic" superheroes in a time like this?.