Jupiter's Legacy - another hero show

I watched it and thought "meh" but then i don't have any love for the source material.

The writer did Smallville and some other stuff before as well as Spartacus & has a friendship with Joss Whedon so that in itself don't inspire me with great confidence however he also had something to do with Daredevil for Netflix which i didn't mind the first series of. 

I found two of the main characters & their kid super annoying in the comics and i can only imagine that the live action versions maybe the same. 

I cannot make out if its all three volumes they are doing or just the first from the trailer alone.

The lead guy Sheldon is played by the guy who i only know from The Transformers movies. 

It's eight episodes long so i will wait for people to crucify it on here before i decide if to binge watch it further down the line when i have time to kill. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve not read the comics, but I have always meant to get round to them some day, but I really liked the first two episodes. Definitely more interested to see where this goes than I was with The Boys, which I fell off from pretty quickly.

On 07/05/2021 at 18:22, Jimmyzilla said:

I thought this was pretty bland, the origin stuff was more interesting than the modern day stuff but overall just meh 

It's superhero wallpaper. I've had it on while slaying the spire and the origin is far better than the modern day, and the origin stuff only has one decent character in it (grace, who's then just tedious in the modern day: and worse, that appears to be deliberate).

11 hours ago, Bazjam said:

I’ve not read the comics, but I have always meant to get round to them some day, but I really liked the first two episodes. Definitely more interested to see where this goes than I was with The Boys, which I fell off from pretty quickly.

I can only implore you to give The Boys a second chance, it’s infinitely more watchable than this wet, plodding, boring tripe. 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

I can only implore you to give The Boys a second chance, it’s infinitely more watchable than this wet, plodding, boring tripe. 

Nah watch invincible instead

Went into this with low expectations and having watched the first episode, which was rough as hell, I somehow plowed on.

Thankfully it improved a lot. Although, I enjoyed the period stuff a lot more than the modern stuff. It's a bit slow at times but it's fairly solid by the end

On 08/05/2021 at 22:54, footle said:

It's superhero wallpaper. I've had it on while slaying the spire and the origin is far better than the modern day, and the origin stuff only has one decent character in it (grace, who's then just tedious in the modern day: and worse, that appears to be deliberate).

Full series watched. Revised review: it’s still wallpaper.

20 hours ago, yakumo said:

Nah watch invincible instead

invincible has much less to say than The Boys, particularly season 2 of The Boys. It’s also just a beat to beat rehash of the comic (with the exception of one particular scene in the finale), whereas The Boys is thankfully adding and remixing a fair bit.

Considering outside of places like rllmuk where we're all a bunch of nerds, the vast majority of people will have no idea about the source material. So it's kinda irrelevant if it does or doesn't diverge from it. It just needs to be good. 

I have no knowledge of the source material but after a fairly interesting, yet somehow visually uninspiring trailer I jumped in. Spartacus is my all time favourite TV show and DeKnight's work on Daredevil was very good but he and the overall handling of the show isn't the problem here. It just all feels very late to the party with the 'grounded' Superhero story.

Some of the kids stuff is excellent, specifically Hutch and Chloe, but they just dont get enough to do resulting in pretty much all of the plot threads either spread out across too many episodes or simply not having enough going on. I did find myself really enjoying parts of it and being drawn into each next episode but it just takes too long to progress the good ideas it has. The finale also lands fairly flat because by that point the most interesting characters (Hutch and Chloe) aren't more of a priority.

A bit Super Hero'd out now , didn't like the following of ep1:

Spoiler

The conversation about the missing garlic press made my skin crawl

The brief appearance of the man in the wheelchair made me think of Stevie from Malcolm in the Middle as a grown up

The fight ("He's going Nuclear!") had two of the team die to no reaction whatsoever

I enjoyed them using Brain Brother's Telepathy powers instead of a mobile phone 

For those that have watched it all

Spoiler

I totally get why Walt does everything he does in the final episode where he sets the scene in the mind void (or whatever it is) expecting Grace to come in and help him. So he has Sky Fox appear and fight there, or maybe he genuinely is trapped in there by Walt. That isnt the issue though. Why does he do the same thing with the clone at the start, staging a fight? Nobody else knows or can see what happens when he goes into the clones mind but we then get a scene suggesting Walt is losing his grip and might be in trouble. Of course its there to create tension for the audience but it makes absolutely no sense in terms of Walt being in control of events even at that point. That has really started to annoy me as I think back to the final 'twist'. 

I watched the first episode, not sure I want to see the next.

Next up, we see superman sorting out the dark and lights for the washing machine ... dull dull dull. 

All the characters seem eminently slappable. 

50 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

I didn't it mind it, up until the end. Which left me just meh. With no excitement for the next series.

Yup, same... ending was total meh.

Watched ep 1. The chat between Utopia and Walter was very much "this is modern America!" - even The Boys, which prides itself on being unsubtle, approached the same theme with a tiny bit of nuance. 

I certainly didn't hate it though and it looks pretty on my OLED. 

The plot/characters seem very formulaic but I'll give it a chance.

5/10

The origin stuff was most interesting, but dragged out over way too many episodes. They should've just dedicated one or two episodes to the origin, and moved on. The constant switching between stories got tiring.

If this came out years ago it probably make more of an impact. But when you have another superhero show with daddy issues, recently done better in invincible and to an extent the boys. Jupiter Legacy just comes across as very medicorce. 

While it also seems to present it's self as kinda high budget like the recent bunch of big budget TV we've had from all over. It's only slightly less shonky than Supergirl...

On 13/05/2021 at 18:23, Festoon said:

I saw a screenshot of this and the wigs and makeup were so bad I assumed it was a comedy.

Edit: Or a spoof.

We've just out it on and this exactly what I said to my wife. This has got to be a spoof, right? But not in a great way like galaxy quest.

Enjoyable, but definitely released at the wrong time and feels painfully earnest next to shows like Invincible and The Boys. That said, in a way it was refreshing to watch after the intensity of those two shows, as you’re not tensed up waiting for the next narrative gut-punch. 

I can see why people felt the finale was lackadaisical, but for me it did the job well enough. Hopefully it gets a second series, and a chance to improve, as there’s definitely some potential. 

48 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Really enjoyed it. Quite tempted to check out the comics now.

The comics are worth reading just for Frank Quietly’s art.  The stories are just merely so-so.

Oh, Mark Millar. I got it mixed up and thought this was based on a comic by Frank Miller. I thought it was going to be about how the older, conservative generation are right and the younger generation, with their crazy ideas like 'empathy' and 'not being racist' end up fucking it all up, and the world gets taken over by brown terrorists.