If you could only watch films starring one actor, who would you choose?

Probably a big actor who has been prolific and done a lot of films I've not seen. I don't watch films more than once, except fun ones as background. If i had some kind of Men In Black memory eraser thingey it'd probably be arnie yeah. 

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Tom Hanks / Scarlett Johansson

Anthony Hopkins close behind.

Hopkins behind Scarlett Johansson? In fact Tom Hanks equal with her? I can barely name a film she was in let alone one that left a lasting impression on me.

6 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Hopkins behind Scarlett Johansson? In fact Tom Hanks equal with her? I can barely name a film she was in let alone one that left a lasting impression on me.

Only Johansson above Hopkins because he hasn't transitioned yet.  ;-) I've just got a thing for her. Plus Marriage Story, Under the Skin and Lost in Translation are wonderful. Between the male actors Hopkins range is marginally better but Hanks' output and consistency is incredible, plus he's got a lot of years left in him.

Very tough question. 

Off the top of my head it would probably be Arnie as he has made my favourite action films ever that are still fun to this day and infinitely rewatchable. 

But then I realise I need my all time greats and would have to have Di Niro or Pacino. At a push I would pick Pacino. I'm giving up Goodfellas as I need the Godfather trilogy and Heat. I couldn't live without Heat. 

Ah fuck, how can I live without Daniel Day Lewis? This is too hard. 

Actress, prob Sigourney Weaver. At least that means I will have the 17 new Avatar films to watch. After her would prob be Meryl Streep or Charlize Theron. 

15 hours ago, Paulando said:

Possibly Steve Buscemi for male. Two of the best (and most rewatchable) Tarantino films, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, a bunch of other Coen films, some fun Bruckheimer actioners, and loads of shitty Adam Sandler comedies for when you’re having an especially bad day.

Good choice, I then get to see Thora Birch in Ghost World as well, which is a nice little bonus.

Possibly Steve Buscemi for male. Two of the best (and most rewatchable) Tarantino films, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, a bunch of other Coen films, some fun Bruckheimer actioners, and loads of shitty Adam Sandler comedies for when you’re having an especially bad day.

Good choice, I then get to see Thora Birch in Ghost World as well, which is a nice little bonus.

17 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

There’s probably quite a few bit part actors that have been in loads of films that will get you a really good selection including good tv shows. 

James Hong. Edit: what @Azrael said. Although the OP did say 'star'.

So it’s just someone who has already started in movies and we’re limited to those movies? I was hoping it was one actor who would then be in the starring role of every movie ever.

As people have said, Frances McDormand would probably give you the best value - she’s got an amazingly consistent filmography that would give you access to most of the Cohen’s best films, plus a decent mix of arthouse and mainstream films. 

For actors, I would probably go for Keanu Reeves. It’s not the most rational choice and would expose me to a lot of absolute stinkers, but I’d get a lot of my favourite films too, and goddammit, I just like the guy. 

Samuel L Jackson is your winner here. The man has been in over 180 films, some where he's only had a bit part but it's was in an amazing film. Then you have the many films his been the lead in or part of an assemble. He's been in a huge array of different genres, you'd never be bored.

I actually think I'd go with SLJ myself tbh. He's been in some amazing films and if you ever needed something dumb ans stupid he's been on plenty of those too.

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Samuel L Jackson is your winner here. The man has been in over 180 films, some where he's only had a bit part but it's was in an amazing film. Then you have the many films his been the lead in or part of an assemble. He's been in a huge array of different genres, you'd never be bored.

I actually think I'd go with SLJ myself tbh. He's been in some amazing films and if you ever needed something dumb ans stupid he's been on plenty of those too.

Actually, this is a pretty great shout. Most of the Tarantino catalogue, most of the Marvel films (if that floats your boat), Spike Lee’s early stuff, and dozens of other films he played a small part in (including Goodfellas and Jurassic Park).

23 hours ago, MarkN said:

I immediately thought of Denholm Elliot when I read this, and there are a few corkers (Trading Places and Raiders Of The Lost Ark), but not quite as many as I expected. But yes - probably a good plan. 

Watched The Cruel Sea on iPlayer recently...Denholm Elliot was superb.

Difficult to choose Harrison Ford is a great choice & so is Arnie/Tom Hanks but for it has to be Christopher Lee because according to google he has been in over 280 films!

Jackson is a great shout.

For a small selection that is all killer no filler, it’s John Cazale:

- The Godfather

- The Conversation 

- The Godfather Part II

- Dog Day Afternoon

- The Deer Hunter 

13 hours ago, Paulando said:

Actually, this is a pretty great shout. Most of the Tarantino catalogue, most of the Marvel films (if that floats your boat), Spike Lee’s early stuff, and dozens of other films he played a small part in (including Goodfellas and Jurassic Park).

Rear Windu

4 minutes ago, Flanders said:

For a small selection that is all killer no filler, it’s John Cazale:

- The Godfather

- The Conversation 

- The Godfather Part II

- Dog Day Afternoon

- The Deer Hunter 

Although he tailed off after 1978.

It's a tough one, maybe Christopher Lee, he's been in some absolute shit films down the years but he's always been very watchable. 

As for leading women, that's even tougher, Julie Walters most likely. Again, she's not necessarily been in lots of amazing films, but she makes them worth watching. 

coming to America...

On 10/04/2021 at 21:36, Vespa Alex said:

There’s probably quite a few bit part actors that have been in loads of films that will get you a really good selection including good tv shows. 

Remember when people were doing the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon game, and someone made that Oracle of Bacon website to automatically work out how to connect different actors?

I remembered that one name that came up a lot on that tool was Eli Wallach (because he was in Mystic River with Kevin Bacon). So I wondered if he'd be a good choice for this thread, due to the sheer number of roles he's had over a long career. Not quite as many as Christopher Lee, but still impressively high.

But looking through his IMDb filmography, apart from the obvious ones (The Good the Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, and a few others), I've never even heard of many of his films, let alone ones I'm interested in seeing!