Hot Wheels Unleashed

MDY

Although it looks a LOT like the Forza expansion DLC, this is almost certainly an entirely new game (can't imagine Turn 10 handing over use of their engine to anyone not making a Forza game.. never mind a multiformat one..)

The developer is Italian company Milestone (developer of endless Moto GP/Supercross/Ride sequels.. and WAY back the Screamer racing series on PC..)

Their bike games are the very definition of being solid if only slightly above average in quality - all reliably scoring in the 6-7/10 range every time.. Hopefully working on something new might lead to something a bit more inspired.. If they aim to match the quality of the Forza DLC they may surprise..

Yeah I saw this and wrote it off immediately but a couple of previews say it's solid as fuck. I'm all about them Hot Wheels (when they release new moulds not repaints, the tight gets) so I'll keep an eye on. Its like 35 quid or summat.

I don't expect it at all, but it would be an awesome gameplay element to have track variability like that. This corner that you normally take flat out now has an adverse camber because the pack are all clustered together etc.

2 hours ago, Vimster said:

Getting Trackmania vibes off that. 

Me too.

But also Re-Volt

Na nana na nana na nana nee nana na nana na nana yeahyeahyeah

3 hours ago, g wings said:

Looks like it could be great fun. If it has a track builder it would keep me and my boy busy for a long time.

The announcement trailer in Xbox Live implies that there will be. It's only a cinematic intro but this looks like a modular track creator.

16182448594902484076937458976428.thumb.jpg.b8a3e77955964498f706353cb187a981.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it just doesn’t really look like any fun. Handling a bit simple, hitting other cars and walls seems to have little impact. And for all the twisty turning overhead tracks it’s also quite boring track wise (accept where it breaks out of the orange track segments).

With solid handling and game modes it could work if it has a fabulous track editor and good sharing system. I’ve been watching a lot of Trackmania on twitch recently and feel like this could almost work built like that but with arcadeysmashing racing rather than just time attack.

Games like this need to go back and look at stuff like the aforementioned Re-Volt and San Francisco Rush 2049, both of which really played with the idea toy/futuristic cars and settings, even Micro Machines. But then they seem to be sticking with the idea of the orange plastic track, which I always felt (when I was a kid) was a bit of a turn off from Hot Wheels.

But having stuff like a supermarket circuit where you have obstacles to avoid and conveyer belts (which either speed you up or slow you down depending on the direction they're going).

• 1 month later...

I like the idea of it but agree it looks a bit cheap. 

Handling doesn't seem great either, even in the developer videos the cars seem to spend most of their time bouncing off walls and other cars, especially during boosts. i haven't seen any clean racing for more than a few seconds.

Also, I wonder if they should have made more of the toy scale and used a little tilt shift or something. It might have helped give the game more character. The environments are a bit dark and muddy which doesn't help elevate this beyond looking like a quick mobile port.

The handling looks awful. 

Would like to try it but not paying full price. Hopefully it comes to game pass. 

latest track builder trailer - you wonder how soul crushing it must be to work on something like this which looks so utterly average and also appears worse in every way to a game which launched in 2010 - Modnation Racers remains the king of user generated content in my eyes and is a much underrated gem.  

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

This looks really fun. I've very tempted. Switch version looks solid too.

Well he certainly makes it seem like the most depressing game in the world!

Been playing the Switch version docked.

It's as good as it looks in video!

Framerate is smooth, not seen a single hitch. It's fast and furious. Easy is way too easy for me, but keeping it on that as I'm playing with my partner and she's finding it difficult with the physics etc. We've been playing Cruisin Blast recently and of course, there is a lot more skill involved in this.

Graphics are much better than I expected on Switch, drifting is fun - really happy with my impulse purchase.

9 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

People saying we haven’t had a decent arcade racer in years and then two come along at once. 

Are the tracks interactive in any way? 

I'm on the basic tracks, so not fully sure.

On one of the tracks was a spider looming over the track that spits out webs that stick you to the track for a few seconds.