IGNORED

Hot Wheels Unleashed

MDY

1 hour ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Nabbed from Eneba, but turns out it's not the X|S version, just a standard xbox version! Bit of a crap move to have 2 versions on the store. 

What’s the difference between both versions? 

Nah, sorry, but the Skyscraper track doesn't penalise wall riding at all. Right after the first jump there's a boost strip and you can comfortably boost out of the curve and ride along the wall. No speed penalty whatsoever.

5 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Standard is supposedly 30fps, but i'm struggling to find the difference as it's not Xenon Racer levels of FPS bad. 5gb install size difference so maybe some textures / 4k / 60fps. Still perfectly playable.

It’s a 12gb install size difference. I now have both versions (don’t ask). X/S looks a little sharper, but I think both are running at 60fps.

1 hour ago, alex3d said:

Nah, sorry, but the Skyscraper track doesn't penalise wall riding at all. Right after the first jump there's a boost strip and you can comfortably boost out of the curve and ride along the wall. No speed penalty whatsoever.

I don’t know, I’ve been playing a fair bit online today and you definitely get slowed down if you’re dragging along a wall around a corner compared to somebody drifting around.  Plus if you’re wall riding you’re not building your boost bar, or at least not as quickly as when driving cleanly.

Online has been fun, theres some pretty cool user generated tracks floating about already and the crazy physics makes for some funny moments. 

Just had to lower the difficulty to Easy for one of the Boss missions - after more than half a dozen unsuccessful attempts (with one lap taking about two and a half minutes...). On Easy the game refuses to give you any challenge it all: I drove in the wrong direction for a few seconds, had to respawn twice and still won comfortably. There's zero balance in this game's difficulty.

Holy shit this is difficult. Loving the trade off between drift and boost and looking forward to learning the mechanic properly. 

Gobsmacked by how good the Switch version looks. 

Edit: This is really good! :D 

Edit 2: This really is nails. Best I've managed in the first story race on Normal mode is 5th.

After hearing the disheartening reviews of Monkey Ball, I bought this instead for the Switch, and couldn't be less disappointed. It's the most fun I've had with a racing game since F-Zero GX.

Game of the year for me. 

Seems most people are on the Switch version....

Any have the PS5 version? Any views?

(in fact there is also a PS4 version which is a bit cheaper, will work on the PS5 but doesn't support the adaptive triggers etc).

Well just picked it up... looks great fun and need something arcadey to play on the PS5 at the moment. 

I'm probably the only one playing on PlayStation looking at the replies so far.... :D

If anyone happens to be playing this on PSN feel free to add me.... PSN name as in signature....

This got patched on Xbox Series and now supports quick resume so you don’t have to sit through those splash screens every time. Makes it so much more of a “I’ll just have a quick blast on something for five minutes” game as it should be.

Well this is a bunch of fun! Only had a "quick" blast last night on it! Has F-Zero vibes about it (probably the drift / boost mechanic). The adaptive triggers are nice on this first time I've experienced them in a driving game.

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Wow finding this hard going! :D Currently set to "Medium" difficulty.... need to work on those drifts.... 

Its definitely challenging, but once you start learning the lines — and possibly after couple of unlocks — you’ll be winning races. Definitely get on the career mode as you’ll get cars and Blind Boxes which will help. 

Also keep your eyes out for short cuts! :) 

11 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Finding easy has me at the front with no sign of any other cars. 

Medium has me screwed if I make one mistake. 

Yeah, the AI is tough! Keep at it. Drift early into the corners and boost out. Once you unlock a car that suits your style, you’ll be loving the challenge. My advice? Play on Easy and unlock some of the cars in the story mode then switch it up to Medium/Normal :) 

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

Yeah, the AI is tough! Keep at it. Drift early into the corners and boost out. Once you unlock a car that suits your style, you’ll be loving the challenge. My advice? Play on Easy and unlock some of the cars in the story mode then switch it up to Medium/Normal :) 

Yeah, think I’ll try that. 😀

24 minutes ago, Alshie said:

Finding easy has me at the front with no sign of any other cars. 

Medium has me screwed if I make one mistake. 

Same here. Just play on easy....

It's fun but not sure it's worth the asking price if I'm honest. Seems a bit stingy on rewards earnt and seems to take a while to earn extra cars.

Seems there will be leveraging DLC and lootboxes too much.. shame really.

16 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Part of the reason I've held off (aside from difficult concerns and the fact I have no fucking time for more games) was the DLC roadmap

1455148986_hot-wheels-unleashed-dlc-planJPRG.thumb.jpg.37bcd7ac478d46a8da645584be1610d1.jpg

Partly because I won't be able to help myself and partly because... well look at it.

Yeah. TBH this game would find an ideal home on GamePass. Or use the freemiun model like say Fortnite. It's not a bad game but feel like I've bought half a game! :D  I won't be buying any additional things for it. Think the other thing that brought this sharply into focus was the fact I bought Blur for the 360 last week for £8. I know it's an old game but in terms of content etc. I would have been happy paying the same for blur as I did for this TBH. Much better game IMHO. Anyway live and learn ..... Modern gaming at times... At least my next arcade racer will be part of GamePass....