Horatio goes Snowboarding - New early access game from ISG

ISG. (not)Famous for games like Don't Die Mr Robot and Rogue Aces have a new early access game coming out tonight for free on Steam. I think it unlocks at midnight. Disclaimer. I have a copy and even in this early form it's got that one more go/FUCKING THING to it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1589380/Horatio_Goes_Snowboarding/

The music is utter filth.

I believe Octavius King (Of Getting into trouble for sexualising Horace fame) is streaming it later tonight

Do Mike and Charlie a favour and give it a try. Their games are really good but never sell well. This one is free so all you're losing is your time and your temper when you lose that juicy multiplier after hitting a tree.

That's exactly what it is. It's a pretty complete remake is it stands (Since the original isn't that complicated) but they want to make it more than that starting point. Hence the early access.

it's out indeed. Sadly doesn't have any form of controller select, so assumes that because I've some steering wheel pedals plugged in I must want to use those, and they're setting Horatio in constant motion when not being pressed down. It was amusing to cross the first street using my feet while I confirmed this is what's going on, but faffing with USB plugs isn't really on my agenda for little games in 2021. I'll try again if they patch that function in!

The controls on this feel very awkward out of the game but it's all about nudging left and right to keep yourself back and learn to hate trees. Remember though. This is just the starting point. ISG are very, very interested in feedback.

Is there a designated place to add it? I didn't want to do a Steam review as that would hardly be fair. But "let me choose my controller" is mine. 

I've let Mike know about the controller issue and he's added it to the list of things to do. There's a discussion page on Steam for the game. That seems the best place to post things.

I struggled a lot with the controls at first and I've suggested there might be a bug if you use down/left and down/right instead of just left and right on the controller. As soon as I made the effort not to pull down on the stick I got much better at the controls.

If anyone wants to see real gameplay this is my not playing at my best (As I post this Youtube is still rendering the hd version)

There's an update going up (Hopefully later today) that completely reworks the scoring mechanic. You no longer have to worry about losing a massive multiplier. Instead you focus on chains within each run. I just tried it and it's far less stressful.

There's also more to come hopefully. Scores for swooshing and knocking things over (To fill in the time between gates with score opportunity). 

• 2 weeks later...