Subnautica: Below Zero - releasing 14th May all platforms!

• Alan Stock changed the title to Subnautica: Below Zero - releasing 14th May all platforms!

The first game was one of the earliest "early access" games, wasn't it? I remember buying it a long time ago and getting excited each time there was a new update, but it's a weird way to play a survival/exploration game, restarting every so often because some new chunk has been added or the story amended. I've deliberately not seen any content at all from Sub Zero, so I'm looking forward to being able to play it as a complete experience from the start.

What I'm interested in is whether they can get anywhere close to the same level of excitement and discovery via the technology and going deeper into the ocean. It was such a well designed progression in the first game and all of the fictional tech, especially the vehicles, were fresh. You genuinely felt anticipation because of the new opportunities and depths that opened up for each upgrade you got.

I'm presuming not, but hopefully there will be some new ways of gating content using the cold and whatnot that will differ from just following the same tech and 'depth' tree as the last game. I'm also hoping for better inventory management and base building. I know there are at least a few new vehicles so that's exciting.

I've recently been watching a youtuber I like called MaterWelonz do a blind playthough of the original game. Its been a joy to re-live those first ten hours through her, where you slowly learn everything and make big discoveries in both the plot and the tech tree. It's a masterclass of pacing and design, with the exception of some fiddly storage issues and the initial hurdle of food and water.

• 4 weeks later...

1 week to go. Amazon is offering 6 quid off the PS4 version preorder here

However when I go to the basket it says expected delivery is on the 20th, even with Prime. What? What's the point in pre-ordering if you get it a week late anyway? Is this normal for Amazon or is the delivery estimate just wrong?

Anyway, I'm really surprised the devs are still going for a low retail price; it's only £25 on PC, and £30-35 on consoles. I'm not complaining but I'm sure people would be happy to pay 40 quid for it. Maybe they figured the low price helped drive sales of the last game (probably true) but now they are established I would have thought they could charge more.

I was hoping to get a PS5 before this release but it's not happened. I'm just hoping the PS4 can handle it, apparently Subnautica original on PS4 chugs a bit in places. I do feel sorry for Switch users who will surely suffer!

17 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

1 week to go. Amazon is offering 6 quid off the PS4 version preorder here

However when I go to the basket it says expected delivery is on the 20th, even with Prime. What? What's the point in pre-ordering if you get it a week late anyway? Is this normal for Amazon or is the delivery estimate just wrong?

Anyway, I'm really surprised the devs are still going for a low retail price; it's only £25 on PC, and £30-35 on consoles. I'm not complaining but I'm sure people would be happy to pay 40 quid for it. Maybe they figured the low price helped drive sales of the last game (probably true) but now they are established I would have thought they could charge more.

I was hoping to get a PS5 before this release but it's not happened. I'm just hoping the PS4 can handle it, apparently Subnautica original on PS4 chugs a bit in places. I do feel sorry for Switch users who will surely suffer!

I am honestly shocked that switch is getting a double pack of both games. The original runs pretty poorly on PS4 and Xbox one so they must have made some serious compromises to get even acceptable performance from the switch.

I'm looking forward to this anyway. I've had the early access on epic but haven't played for over a year and haven't followed any of the progress since then.