F1 2021 - not Bitcoin - Pitcoin

englishbob

6 hours ago, englishbob said:

Waiting is wise with these games. The beta testers at £60 on release will find all the issues for you

Plus the beta testers at £15 less than that price. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

A quote from the Metro interview with Lee Mather on the difference between generations.

“Things like the grass around the circuits, you’ll see the density of that change.”

Whoop de fucking doo! Maybe he’s working on FIFA now and got confused.

I bought ACC last night for half the price of this, because my son asked for it?

And I could have got it for HALF AGAIN if I’d bought it on the boneX instead.

or 10% if I’d got the first AC and the Ferrari dlc…

but we all know, come July 16th I’ll be splashing out on the digital deluxe version of this too.

I watched that new trailer last night. Guessing that footage is from

the PC version?

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/17/f1-2021-preview-and-interview-you-will-get-improvements-in-visuals-14787786/

I am reasonably interested in this but that Metro interview has gone some distance to putting me off. It’s a last gen version of the game with what sounds like minimum of effort put in to current gen. I really don’t care about ray tracing in the UI/replays or cross-gen multiplayer especially when it’s used as an excuse for no change to (single player) physics.

• 4 weeks later...

Just preordered (by 4 hours) the deluxe edition, 10% discount from PSN store, and 12% discount on the PSN credit I bought to pay for it.

reckon I paid about £60 all in.

I am shit at maths.

… and the boy has been banned from games tomorrow, for the fist pump when he realised he can’t go to his cousins holy communion at the weekend, because self-isolating.

I’ve been playing it a lot and really am enjoying it. It plays more like 2019 than 2020 for me with the weird turning/braking issue of the last game changed back. The triggers on the PS5 are fantastic (and that comes from someone who doesn’t like the triggers). 

But it’s very much the same game with some polish than an evolution, although the story mode is rather good I thought. 

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

My son started braking point this morning.

my son completed braking point this afternoon. 

Amazing. Can you uninstall that part now, or is it taking up precious real estate on the SSD? 

To be honest it looked shit anyway. Trying to put some sort of story arc into a sterile sport - the passion, the excitement, the thrills, the spills, the laptop in your trailer, reading emails from sponsors, talking to your manager about contracts, talking to the team about tyre pressures etc. DLC will include a spreadsheet to manage your electricity bills, physically sign x100 photos with a signature using haptic feedback of the controller, and booking time in the studio to record your album

I've enjoyed the racing in some of these games, but the managerial crap is arse, never mind then building a story mode on-top. 

What's the actual core game like? Same as last year but with slightly better graphics and framerate?

no idea, I was at work.

he says the steering is lighter, and the OSD is different

he has 2020 on the bone, but I think 2016-2019 are on PS4/5

I guess at some point I can do screencap comparisons

Had a quick go. 

Steering is definitely lighter

Haptic triggers ain't as good as many reviews say. Can barely feel them when put to strongest setting. 

General haptic rumble is OK. Nothing mind-blowing. Just feels like a normal rumble to be honest. 

Not had a chance to try out wheel yet so that's how I'm playing anyway. 

Graphically...i can't tell a difference between this and last years. But I only played one track. 

From what I've seen I think the only real noticeable graphical difference between gens is ray tracing in replays. Otherwise it's just more consistent frame rate and resolution and a 120fps option. Probably see the big graphical overhaul next year. 

It's EA now and traditionally their generational shifts have meant better graphics but features and game modes being stripped out, so at least it's not that.

I preordered this too, I've skipped the last couple of F1 games but I do enjoy them and the career mode is good stuff. 

I’ve been playing this for a few days now. Disclaimer:  I played F1 2020 a couple hours every day.

There are definitely graphical improvements, at least on Series X (what I’m playing this and it’s predecessor on). So I’m not sure if this applies on pc. On series x, jumping from 2020 to this you can certainly tell but if you don’t play 2020 constantly it’s probably not noticeable. It certainly doesn’t feel like a generational jump. None the less, there are lots of improvements. Year on year it just gets more & more refined. The sound seems to be a lot more detailed, the AI seems a lot more aware of your presence and defends a lot more strongly (and realistically). There’s more to do in My Team mode. The events that happen in the race and garage keep expanding to make it more realistic.  The damage model has had an overhaul with more elements of the car that can be affected. It’s more customisable with the options split into even more categories.

But then there are annoyances that remain untouched. You must select your avatar from the exact same limited number as when the feature was first introduced years ago (same for the spoken names) meaning multiplayer continues to be contested by clones. You still can’t customise your liveries how you would like. The email about the circuit with tips still arrives after you’ve qualified. And please could we just have option to Import setups from previous games.

I’m not a fan of the changes to the practice sessions. They claim to have attempted to make it less cumbersome and less complex but i feel they’ve had the opposite effect. You have 3 side objectives for each program but it’s hard to do all 3 or even understand what they are. One of said side objectives is to stay within 2 meters of the racing line but for those of us who prefer to find our own lines, this is punitive and prescriptive. I also lament the loss of the development tree. Was it really that complicated?? The lack of classic cars is noticeable too. And of course it goes without saying that the missing circuits is quite galling (especially as 2 of them of are in the first 4 rounds). They’ll turn up eventually, mind.

I haven’t tired the story mode yet. If it brings new players to the game then great. Not my cup of tea personally but I’ll give it a go eventually (they seem to have put effort into it).

Those gripes aside, it is definitely, definitely better. Each circuit seems to have more detail. The changes are in the details of the game. It feels more immersive every year. If you played the last game to death, you’ll notice these improvements but for 99% of the player base, this will be of small comfort.

The new practice thing I've seen youtube videos is a good idead for those of us who skip the actual practice sessions. it's like a puzzle game to get the research points. Better than just simming it. 

I haven't played one of these since the sport introduced the cockpit halo.

I saw a video (might have been a PC hack?) using full cockpit mode but with the middle T piece as transparent. Is this an option on consoles? Thanks