F1 2021 - not Bitcoin - Pitcoin

englishbob

It makes me wonder who tests this stuff, or the mechanisms of how they test, can't be that good if you both spot something the same. 

Thankfully we aren't in the cartridge era and it can be fixed, but still it's shoddy

17 hours ago, englishbob said:

It makes me wonder who tests this stuff, or the mechanisms of how they test, can't be that good if you both spot something the same. 

Thankfully we aren't in the cartridge era and it can be fixed, but still it's shoddy

True, but that being said so far it's the most solid Codies release I've played in years. Which doesn't say much for their past performance.

Do you still get the AI drivers coming out of the pits during qualy with only 30 or so seconds of the qualy round left? That drove me mad in older games.

1 hour ago, scoobysi said:

PS5 version is £39.99/XBOX £42.39 at Boss Deals @ eBay at the moment if anyone is thinking about it, general 20% off shop and other sellers.

Just took advantage of that. With cashing in some Nectar points, only cost me £4.99.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

True, but that being said so far it's the most solid Codies release I've played in years. Which doesn't say much for their past performance.

How's the AI's awareness towards each other and the player(s) these days, Mex?

6 minutes ago, Meers said:

How's the AI's awareness towards each other and the player(s) these days, Mex?

You know what, it's not half bad. If you leave a gaping gap they will go for it and pressure you. I've not been punted off by them yet either. I've put some rude... Max (ahem!) type moves and like Lewis (pre-Silverstone) they have backed off instead of just blindly driving into me. AI so far is very raceable.

You still get (from what I've seen) the occasional first corner lol of all the cars driving at seemingly 5mph but still it's a lot better than it was.

54 minutes ago, mexos said:

You know what, it's not half bad. If you leave a gaping gap they will go for it and pressure you. I've not been punted off by them yet either. I've put some rude... Max (ahem!) type moves and like Lewis (pre-Silverstone) they have backed off instead of just blindly driving into me. AI so far is very raceable.

You still get (from what I've seen) the occasional first corner lol of all the cars driving at seemingly 5mph but still it's a lot better than it was.

12 minutes ago, deerokus said:

The AI makes realistic mistakes now which is fun.

Sounds good! Didn't they start using the Assetto Corsa physics engine for this a couple of iterations ago? Thought I'd read something about that some time ago...but I might be confusing myself here.

1 hour ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Not great and a sad reflection of general quality of newly released games but it’s only replays etc. so can live without for a bit. I’d rather have a more stable game but haven’t checked if that’s the case since the patch dropped.

Edited by scoobysi

6 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Not great and a sad reflection of general quality of newly released games but it’s only replays etc. so can live without for a bit. I’d rather have a more stable game but haven’t checked if that’s the case since the patch dropped.

Well the ‘to do’ bug is still in. 

7 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Hopefully they do the same on xbox as I've had crashes and even a full system shutdown when in replays and cut scenes. It seems to be overheating the systems. 

Just now, deerokus said:

Hopefully they do the same on xbox as I've had crashes and even a full system shutdown when in replays and cut scenes. It seems to be overheating the systems. 

Overheating - Jesus that is bad!

3 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Overheating - Jesus that is bad!

That's just me speculating mind because I've been roasting while playing it on series x 😂. It's totally fine in the race but the replays etc sometimes have really low framerates, it's like the ray tracing is way too much for the system. I have taken to saving regularly just in case I go to a flashback and it crashes! 

The actual racing is very fun. 

I ended up buying this off a mate (well, his boys that played it to death last week during the first week of school holiday, and then didn't feel a need to keep hold of it as they'd "completed it mate!" - so gave them £38 cash for it as it was the line between CEX trade in and cash values) 

First of all, no crashes on the PS5 so far, played a few hours on different modes here and there, so maybe the new patch fixed some of that. The most next gen feature here is the loading times, again a revelation in terms of experience. The presentation and options appear slick, although the "XP-Level up things" seem a bit limp to be honest, I'm not sure where pitcoins fit in either and why on earth I'd want or need them. It doesn't at this stage feel like a barrier to anything.

Overall the driving experience is good, and the AI so far seem great. There is an entire menu of online options that don't appear to unlock until Autumn of this year though, not sure why they are waiting for so long during the lifecycle of the game that will only last 12 months before the inevitable 2022 version. Online racing on any driving game doesn't appeal to me at all, so there is one sole mode where you can race a lap-time challenge thing, but it needs more modes like this that probably won't materialise. 

Graphically its fine for me, but I'm a bog standard 1080p screen person, so can't possibly comment on the next-geness of it overall. Not had the sound bug yet, but I've only started playing this from patch v1.04

The complexity of the game though is never explained, a lot of options to the driving that aren't conveyed at all. The weirdest thing then about this game is "Breaking Point" - the story mode. It's not a beginners guide at all, it is more like a couple of episodes of Hollyoaks (yes it's that bad) stitched together, that assume you know what its about and know what you are doing. The cast seems to be made up of people that might actually exist in real life, versus the main protagonist that looks like a randomly generated video game character that moves and talks like one. 

The story part is not that obtrusive at all, the cutscenes are thankfully fairly light and brief, but if you are looking to this as a softly-softly introduction to racing, it isn't, at all. It throws you straight behind the wheel of a car on several occasions without any kind of warning. The objective here is just get on with it, you've played this game before, right? 

Some races start mid-way into the action, or some at the beginning, but neither do a decent job of explaining the objectives satisfactorily. They are no audible announcements, they are displayed on the the screen - just to the left of the screen, usually a few seconds after you are driving. This is of course ridiculous, you are already at maximum concentration to notice, and I crossed the finish line on one of them thinking I'd done a good job of finishing in the points to find out I'd failed the objective because I needed to beat both McLaren and Renault drivers to the finish. Oh right, well, I have to beat 4 drivers from teams I've never been introduced to, and need to know their driver names? Right, which ones are those again? 😐

Return to my trailer to receive phone calls from my generic video game character's Mum, read my social media feed (do you think Kimi does this too?) and read my emails at a weird perpendicular angle to the screen for some reason, all in a days work for a Codemasters version of how exciting F1 must be if you are in it. Looking forward to buying a place in Monaco so I can live in relative seclusion financially.

If you've never played an F1 game from this series before, starting with the story mode is therefore probably the worst possible option available to you, no matter how they dress it up (if I remember FIFAs story mode at least gave you some training tips!). To start off, just do some Time Trials on your own, learning the controls, tailoring your controller or wheel preferences, and repeating that cycle until you get it right. Once you have a general level of understanding, then the story mode will probably be OK to start.

Bottom line though the driving and racing aspect of this title feels good, and the AI is pretty good as well. 

One aspect this game misses is the sound from a crowd. I really noticed this watching Silverstone that you could here the roar of the crowd when Hamilton passed the stands. 

I played another racing game recently where you could hear the crowd when passing the stands (maybe one of the tracks in GT Sport?) but is so absent here. 

It happens almost never in real F1 during actual sessions and while you can hear it from external cameras you'd struggle a lot more to hear it in a car.

It'd be fairly pointless really.

10 hours ago, Fargo said:

One aspect this game misses is the sound from a crowd. I really noticed this watching Silverstone that you could here the roar of the crowd when Hamilton passed the stands. 

I played another racing game recently where you could hear the crowd when passing the stands (maybe one of the tracks in GT Sport?) but is so absent here. 

There is crowd sound in there. It's been there for the last few releases (certainly in 2020 anyway). They cheer during overtakes, clap for some reasons and they go "ooooooh" when you put a wheel in the gravel. You have to be near a grand stand when it happens obviously, but it's definitely there, I hear it a lot.