The Ticking time bomb in PS4 (and PS3) consoles or Turn Your Expensive Console into an Official Brick!

So last console generation I switched from 360 to PS4. It made sense after the complete disaster that was the launch of the X-Bone. Mandatory Kinect? Discs tied to the one console? Lack of indie presence compared to Sony? Lack of exclusives? The choice was obvious.

And here we are at then end of the cycle and things have flipped. Microsoft is kicking goal after goal in terms of exclusives and indies having left the baggage of the past behind. And they've found ways to captilise on their past catalogue allowing owners to play the majority of their 360 titles (and even some original X-Box titles) on their console.

Sony on the other hand....well, it's covered in other threads. Let's just concentrate in this thread on this wee gem.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/321900-theres-a-ticking-time-bomb-inside-older-playstation-consoles?

Consoles such as the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 have an internal CMOS battery to keep the system time. When the battery dies, it trips a switch inside the console that requires the system to connect to the PlayStation Network and confirm the time. When this check happens appears to vary by platform. Ars Technica states that the PS3 checks in the first time you play a downloaded game, while the PS4 also connects to PSN when you play retail games purchased on disc. If these checks are not performed at least once after a CMOS battery replacement, the console will not run the affected content.

Um, that's not great.

This check-in requirement is no problem at the moment, but it could easily become one in the future. Sony’s recent decision to shut down sales on the PlayStation Store for older platforms illustrates that publishers and manufacturers often do not operate network services for old platforms indefinitely. Once those check-in servers go offline, every PS3 and PS4 will have a ticking clock attached to its CMOS battery. The PS3 appears to be less affected, since all you lose is online games. But the PS4 will be mostly useless thereafter.

Unfortunately, neither console manufacturers nor game publishers have shown any great interest in hardware or software preservation. Both groups are far more interested in selling you a new platform or title than in helping to maintain the functionality of systems or games long since gathering dust.

That's shit. Really shit. And when compared to Microsoft...well under my TV I have an old 360 and even when it can't link to Live it still runs my downloaded titles. And it's old. It was old when I bought it off @Phelanalmost a decade ago.

Sony seem uninterested in fixing this and I think that lack of interest is going to lose them customers.

Agreed but I'm not sure it will lose them a significant amount of customers. It was pointed out in the recently bumped PSN hack thread that even that bit of big international news cost them zero popularity. Their online security is still extremely shit with Sony using automated bots in their customer services and subsequently allowing those bots to turn off 2FA for your account if any random passerby happens to ask for it.

This CMOS thing is surprising but on the other hand not surprising at all. I don't think they'll lose anything over it though. PS5 is backwards compatible with the PS4 so there's an excuse to do nothing about it..

The PS3 CMOS thing is very annoying, but everything about how Sony treats PS3 has been annoying for some time -  I recently bought Asura's Wrath for 360 in an Xbox sale and played all the way through on my Series X, and had a lot of fun with. Then I look at the PS5 store and it's just big fucking sigh.

As good as the PS4 was (I was all in on PlayStation last gen),  practically everything about the PS5 annoys me when compared to their direct competitor - and yet I still bought a PS5 day one, because I really enjoy their games. I complained loudly about their new Americanized and cinematic AAA focus while ignoring their excellent older library, but I still really enjoy their new games and usually buy them day one. Of course I will never put any payment details on anything Sony ever again, but I'm still in their ecosystem buying a buttload of games so I don't think Sony has reason to care.

I’m not sure MS is “kicking goal after goal with exclusives” leaving Sony straggling, I mean that’s not happening is it? Miles Morales alone has sold ridiculous numbers and Microsoft Game Studios have yet to release an exclusive. 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m not sure MS is “kicking goal after goal with exclusives” leaving Sony straggling, I mean that’s not happening is it? Miles Morales alone has sold ridiculous numbers and Microsoft Game Studios have yet to release an exclusive. 

And Miles Morales is a fantastic game. Say what you want about current Sony, but MM on PS5 is still the game I fire up to show off what the new gen and my fancy new telly can do. 

3 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Ars Technica states that the PS3 checks in the first time you play a downloaded game, while the PS4 also connects to PSN when you play retail games purchased on disc. If these checks are not performed at least once after a CMOS battery replacement, the console will not run the affected content.

Damn it, Jack; it was all a lie...?

TjfDsij.jpg

Spoiler

I'm kidding, of course - everyone knew this was going on, and so many publishers implement their own online requirements even without the console's own prerequisites. I just wanted an excuse to post the image in faux-outrage. ;) 

Doesn't the 360 need to be online too?  I got mine out of the garage a while back and ally Xbox live arcade titles were the trial versions. Then I realised I'd changed my WiFi password since I last used it.  Connected to Xbox live and all the demos became the paid versions again.

16 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Doesn't the 360 need to be online too?  I got mine out of the garage a while back and ally Xbox live arcade titles were the trial versions. Then I realised I'd changed my WiFi password since I last used it.  Connected to Xbox live and all the demos became the paid versions again.

I think if the 360 is set as your main machine (you can transfer the licence between consoles) then it shouldn't have to be online.

This CMOS issue was mentioned in those PSN store closing threads. It's going to depend on Sony keeping running the service that authenticates isn't it? And hey, Sony are pretty trustworthy so I'm sure it'll be fine :(

29 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It's the difference between Steam and Xbox, where there's a trust you can always go online if needed (they overhauled Live and cut off the OG Xbox beta version of to ensure future compatibility in their network). And the Sony side of things where their infrastructure is still creaky as fuck and they give no fucks about cutting off the (relatively recent feeling and online dependent) PS3 and Vita generations, which leaves you tucked once the deliberately built-in hidden DRM time bomb battery dies.

What are these tons of killer exclusives on Series X? The best stuff I’m playing are ancient games that now run properly.

PS5 launched with Miles, Astrobot and a completely remade Demon’s Souls. If it didn’t look like Homer Simpson’s car design and whine more than my 3 year old I’d be playing one right now.

4 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Microsoft is kicking goal after goal in terms of exclusives and indies having left the baggage of the past behind.

Like.... Erm.... The Medium I guess?

So basically I should make sure that my current PS3 and Vita are both set as my primary consoles and up to date just in case that Evil Fiend Jimbo Ryan decides to pull the plug on PSN?  There's a lot of fluff surrounding the messaging but I think that's right. 

It's possible to update the PS3 firmware using a signed update package and a USB key. I did it once way back when. You can just download it and put on USB and stick it in the PS3 for an auto-update.

My hope is Sony acknowledges this CMOS problem and releases one final firmware update which can be shared online if needed, even if they shut the servers. You can then just DL the firmware update, then update the PS3 to its final form, which will negate any CMOS problems. So in 20 years, if your CMOS is dead and it won't play installed games, you just grab the file from somewhere, update, and problem solved.

If Sony does not do such a thing, I'll just jailbreak fucker. Problem solved.

41 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

What are these tons of killer exclusives on Series X? The best stuff I’m playing are ancient games that now run properly.

PS5 launched with Miles, Astrobot and a completely remade Demon’s Souls. If it didn’t look like Homer Simpson’s car design and whine more than my 3 year old I’d be playing one right now.

Well, if you could find one you might. 

Just now, Boozy The Clown said:

638878d2193542c4bfd57ad9b75ea3de.jpeg

Change thread title to Xbox has no games.

Why does Sony never  comment on negative PR ? 

They have the Defense Force to do it for free.

It’s false narrative that’s why. By all means Sony should be criticised for any anti-consumer behaviour but let’s be honest, the PS3 and especially the Vita are long dead, in fact Sony killed the PSP brand long ago and any resentment towards them over that is also past. 

I’ve noticed a lot of these stories popping up recently with headlines like ‘Sony have a HUGE problem’ and then describing problems that will affect pretty much no one. 

I’d argue these huge problems are kind of irrelevant when they have software selling in numbers usually reserved for upper echelon Nintendo titles, and the fastest selling console in US history that you still can’t get for love or money. 

Maybe we could have a thread title MS double the price of GamePass, just in case that happens at some point too. I mean it’s highly unlikely as they don’t have a track record of trying to do something like that.

8 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Tell that to the developers who were making games for the Vita and were sold Devkits by Sony as recently as March. 

And what? It’s a dead system, no one cares. 

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

You're so wrong with this narrative I'd recommend you stop now Stanley.

Why what will happen, will you moan about Sony some more? 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And what? It’s a dead system, no one cares. 

Exactly,* who cares if a company like Sony fucked some smaller company by selling them equipment that they (Sony) knew would soon be obsolete and useless. Those idiots at the company buying it deserve it. Like people who hire cowboy builders and their house burns down - they deserved being scammed. If you can't handle getting conned don't play the game (of life). Any stance against companies doing what they like is clearly Communism. Frankly it would be perfectly acceptable for Sony to sell you things that explode and murder your whole family, because we live in a capitalist democracy, and the Vita is dead anyway, so who cares if it gives you cancer due to being manufactured with Cadmium-90? Sony has the Jesus-given right to sell anything they want to anyone, even if it doesn't work and they know it doesn't work, and then they don't tell the person they're selling to it that it doesn't work. It's called free-market libertarian capitalism mofos - if you want regulations and protectionist measures and people not being rightfully screwed in business then move to Russia (the EU).

*(I should probably mention that I'm being sarcastic and I think Stanley is trash for saying what he did.)

1 minute ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I see you are finally getting the point.

No, no. I was being sarcastic. 

Like I said they should be criticised, but the hyperbole surrounding this and issues such as Jim Ryan etc. It’s just desperate.