Games that are still going strong even if we’ve forgotten about them

There are a few games I thought long dead. Coincidentally, these games also disappeared from the front pages of this forum, some not being posted in for two years or more, which probably helped cement in my mind that they weren’t popular and must have gone the way of the dodo. 

Recently I discovered that they are not, in fact, dead and have actually done really well and continued to remain popular and pull in good numbers and build a solid, if not always massive, community around them. 

The games in my case were Dead by Daylight, Hunt Showdown and For Honor. 

Dead by Daylight, originally released in 2016, is still going strong and about to kick off its fifth anniversary event with a Resident Evil crossover. The game has never been more popular, regularly getting 35-40k viewers on Twitch with a really strong community, some key ambassadors for the game which have popped up over the years and constant updates and new content since release. This has included some pretty awesome  licensed killers coming to the game such as Leatherface, Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers and Ghost Face (the one from Scream) and the Demogorgon from Dead by Daylight.

Most of these have also come with a new survivor associated with that killer (two in the case of Stranger Things, as both Steve and Nancy were added) and in most cases a new map, too. There are regular seasons, known as Rifts, which add new lore to the game and come with a plethora of new cosmetics for the killers and survivors alike. 

Hunt Showdown is in a similar situation: regular content updates come to the game and they’ve recently added a fourth monster to the game, Scrapbeak, as part of a new event. They’ve added new legendary hunters and weapons to the game over the two years since launch and, much like Dead by Daylight, the game has built up a small but strong community around it. 

For Honor is the final game I’ll mention right now. You’d be forgiven for thinking that game had long since died. Whilst Rainbow Six Siege has apparently gone from strength to strength, For Honor is comparatively quiet, at least in terms of exposure. But in actuality, much like Siege, For Honor has had countless updates since release in 2017, with new heroes, modes and cosmetics added to the game. In fact, it follows a very similar path to Siege in terms of what content you get with an update. It’s just entered its fifth year and I think 16th season and again, much like the other two games, has a very strong following and community built up around it. 

It’s been really fun playing these games recently; there is loads of information out there for new players to help get over the initial extremely steep learning curve and whilst you find yourself quickly getting utterly destroyed by more experienced players, you quickly begin to learn the ways of the game and can notice significant improvement in your skill and understanding if you give the game your time. 

Are there any other games like this you can think of, that seemingly disappeared but are still going strong? Any games the forum no longer talks about but which you’re still playing and enjoying?

37 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

State of Decay 2. It's still being very much supported. It recently had a Series X/S update too.

I’ve just downloaded it, any good? 

I’m always vaguely shocked that I can still get a game of PUBG inside two minutes. It’s obviously tailed off from the insane heights it once hit, and there’s little discussion of it here. The community seem to be in a constant state of declaring the game dead and complaining about it but it’s still rolling along and if you feel like it you can drop in and play a few rounds.

Everybody’s Golf on the PS4 still has a bunch of folk hanging out on the online courses, especially around the fishing spots and on Alpina Forest hole 12 where you have the best chance of getting a Condor. 

There are probably a good number of PC MMOs I could pick from but given the lack of subscription fees I'm always surprised that the original Guild Wars is still standing. I keep meaning to get my password reset properly so I can play through some of it again.

Only got a PS4 this Christmas, which came with a copy of Titanfall 2. 

My son has been trying out the multiplayer, and it seems like there’s no problem getting a game.

I’ve never played online shooters, but it looks really fun, so I might have a go myself. 

A few years ago, I was really into Dota 2 but stopped when I had kids. It never really gets discussed on here anyway.

Seems it's still going strong with a few new heroes, numerous map change and some new modes. 

It's still one of the most played on Steam, too.

But! Then there Counterstrike. I haven't played it for twenty years or so. How is that still so popular?

2 hours ago, bumgut said:

Sf2, sf alpha 3 and third strike still going on on PS4.

dunno if you can call it popular but you’ll get games every evening.

All three are still decently populated on PC through Fightcade as well. 3rd Strike is probably my most played game this year, and I played 100+ hours of Yakuza Like A Dragon.

Shame there isn't official support for them with crossplay so players aren't split across several platforms and versions. 

8 hours ago, Adrock said:

Splatoon 2. My son has been playing it this weekend after well over a year off, still enough players to get games.

I play it pretty much daily; never any delay getting a game.

20 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Did the original vision for Fortnite, the base building tower defence bit, ever come to pass, or did they just ditch it once the battle royale took off? 

Epic were recently advertising roles, working on that side of Fortnite, so I guess they're not done with it yet.

23 hours ago, Broker said:

I’m always vaguely shocked that I can still get a game of PUBG inside two minutes. It’s obviously tailed off from the insane heights it once hit, and there’s little discussion of it here. The community seem to be in a constant state of declaring the game dead and complaining about it but it’s still rolling along and if you feel like it you can drop in and play a few rounds.

Check Steam's top games by player count. PUBG is rarely out of the top 5 and as I type, it's third. Sure, the dizzy heights of 2018 are a distant memory but it is going very strong still. Even the big streamers have gravitated back to it in recent months cos there's fuck all else about in the BR genre that even comes close. A recent patch even vastly reduced the numbers of bots in lobbies. Roll on PUBG2.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/Steam-Game-and-Player-Statistics

21 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Did the original vision for Fortnite, the base building tower defence bit, ever come to pass, or did they just ditch it once the battle royale took off? 

I remember reading/hearing work on that part of the game has basically been halted. Surely it still exists (I'm sure it was crowd funded), but that's about it.

A shame, I rather enjoyed that part of the game when it launched, even paid 30 euro for some digital deluxe starter whatever edition.

22 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

There are probably a good number of PC MMOs I could pick from but given the lack of subscription fees I'm always surprised that the original Guild Wars is still standing. I keep meaning to get my password reset properly so I can play through some of it again.

Actually I'm tempted to try and recover my old GW account although I have a feeling it has probably been stolen as I used to get tons and tons of "Someone tried to get into your account" notifications a few years back which have stopped. Ironically that probably means the game is still going strong because wasters have acquired stolen accounts. Anyway, have fond memories of playing the original GW in 2007 or so, lone-wolfing it with a podcast on. And a girlfriend at the time got me playing GW2. Makes me wonder why people keep playing these, although I always play MMOs pretty much single-player and get bored well before you have to group up. 

I've been dipping back into the Valve games with my son, he's playing now when I played many years ago - Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Garry's Mod, etc. 

They're all still very popular, and so many people have them - I randomly came across someone I hadn't spoken to for ~10 years playing L4D2, and as a result I've made contact with a group of friends I lost touch with long ago. 

I tried returning to Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare on PS4 recently - I enjoyed this as a lighthearted FPS. I could find one match, with ~4 players. 

16 hours ago, ChewMagma said:

Based on Japanese sales isn't Splatoon now actually one of Nintendo's top 4 original IP along with Mario, Zelda, and Animal Crossing? It is a huge deal.

What about Smash Bros?

Any time Bing has an "eSports games" thing, it's always listed in there, which suggests (I don't know if it is or not!) it's pretty popular?

I think it's an example of this forum being quite out of touch with the wider gaming market as a whole*.

My very cursory reading of topic titles for games I have little interest in would indicate to me that sports games and COD style shooters are dead in the water. Yet I doubt that's the case at all.

As for the online stuff... I think there are a lot of games that find an audience who just stick with it but never really talk about it. I mean there are lots of people playing Fortnite here but the thread is probably bumped by a few posts a week most of the time. People just get on and play with little to report to the wider world. I guess the most interesting is how the developers of at least some of those games keep getting enough money to keep supporting them, particularly if they were one off upfront purchase games rather than subscription services.

* that's not a complaint or insult

On 18/04/2021 at 14:07, Stanley said:

I’ve just downloaded it, any good? 

It's great and it's what single player survival games should be like, short and repayable without oppressively wanting you to die (except for on the higher difficulties)

41 minutes ago, Corranga said:

What about Smash Bros?

Any time Bing has an "eSports games" thing, it's always listed in there, which suggests (I don't know if it is or not!) it's pretty popular?

Well Smash is kind of a special case given that it incorporates all of their IP including Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, and AC. It isn't an original IP in and of itself. Those games exist without Smash, but Smash couldn't exist without them.