If You Love a Game, Buy It at Full Price says Days Gone Creative Director

Am I the only one who didn’t have a bad experience with days gone at launch? I don’t recall any crashes, glitches or poor performance beyond the usual occasional bugs. My only issue was how the flashlight beam was disconnected from the flashlight on the guy you play as.

29 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

It's got fuck all to do with wokeness and almost everything to do with their chosen genre, their decision to release it unfinished and their inability to make a really good game out of it. Anti-heroes can still shift units, just don't glorify their bad habits/traits. Sure not everyone will go for that, but I can't imagine a whole load of people looked at Max Payne and said "He's an alcoholic with a pain killer addiction? Fuck that game!"

It's a difficult balancing act, Max Payne 3 arguably succeeded where Kane and Lynch 2 failed.

On 22/04/2021 at 12:05, K said:

I thought the right-wing mantra was "get woke, go broke". Now he's saying that you have to get woke to make a blockbuster game. How confusing!

I thought the phrase was “get woke or go broke”? 

To be honest if I had a PS5 and the reviews were good I'd probably pay the 70 quid for Returnal but since there's literally no PS5s on sale apart from scalpers on ebay that's a bit moot and I get to spend that on something else. I'm thinking the new Mass Effect remasters if they've done a good job.

32 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

I thought the phrase was “get woke or go broke”? 

I heard the phrase in the context of right-wingers trying to argue that films like the Last Jedi and Captain Marvel were actually failures because the mass-market had rejected their woke agenda, despite neither film really having a woke agenda beyond having women and non-white people in prominent roles, and both being very successful. So I remember it as 'get woke, go broke' but it wouldn't surprise me if alt-right nobheads were trying to argue the precise opposite now. 

1. People didn't actually love your game enough, so you've not made a game that people want to pay full price for.

2. Do your math and work out what the discount prices will look like. Be responsible for your company and staff. Do business.

3 minutes ago, Hamus said:

1. People didn't actually love your game enough, so you've not made a game that people want to pay full price for.

2. Do your math and work out what the discount prices will look like. Be responsible for your company and staff. Do business.

Why do you think a creative director would have any meaningful input over the finances?

Let's presume the game wasn't a busted piece of shit when it launched, ok? People have routinely said it needs double figures of hours for the game to, if we're being polite, hit it's stride. If we're not being polite it's 'get good'. The review scores probably reflected that. That's all on him as creative director. So, basically, it's his fault no-one bought it at full price.

I mean you don't need to do the mental gymnastics of this post to see that, but still.

So many games are paced terribly. I started AC: Syndicate the other night and played a solid hour before the credits rolled. It genuinely put me off. The next day we fired up Dead Space which had a few minutes of intro that was incredibly effective for a game with 13 year old graphics. If games are going to try to be movies pacing is the number one lesson they need to learn.

I’ll never forget talking to my friend about FFXIII. I was complaining about it and he said it gets really good 30 hours in. I just gave up on it there and then.

I'm very much of the opinion that if there's something there that compels you, no matter how small, then taking hours to get good is fine because there's a modicum of fun to be had. But if the game is an absolute chore until 10 hours in when something unlocks which suddenly makes the game fun it can fuck off.

58 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Let's presume the game wasn't a busted piece of shit when it launched, ok? People have routinely said it needs double figures of hours for the game to, if we're being polite, hit it's stride. If we're not being polite it's 'get good'. The review scores probably reflected that. That's all on him as creative director. So, basically, it's his fault no-one bought it at full price.

I mean you don't need to do the mental gymnastics of this post to see that, but still.

I finished Days Gone a couple of days ago and overall thought it was fantastic but it did occur to me how reviewer-unfriendly it is due to length. It felt like watching all seasons of The Walking Dead. I ended up taking two large breaks roughly timed with when the game shifts gears, playing it over the course of about a year. Personally I found this worked very well to mitigate the length and suited the episodic (or seasonal) structure of the game, which is based around moving on to different camps and meeting new characters while overarching story threads develop in the background.

It's true that the second half has much more urgency and the USP (hordes) don't properly come into play until very late in the game. I didn't personally find that to be a problem as I liked the build-up but I can imagine that reviewers working to a deadline might've felt very differently.

14 minutes ago, Harsin said:

There's a hell of a lot of open world bloat in that game.

Not sure I agree - it is a very long game but it is paced like a TV series. There are arguably more bounty and other side missions than most people will want to do, but they are doled out at a thoughtful pace and as with all side-content there are there if you really love the game and want more gameplay (people's desire to tick-off everything presented to them notwithstanding). It's nothing like as bad as most Ubisoft games, and the structure is much more carefully considered. It compares favourably to other open-world games, in my opinion.