Duckstation (PS1 Emulator)

23 minutes ago, AlexM said:

I'd heard about this emulators existence, but until I watched those videos I had no idea what it was capable of. I'll give it a spin on my Switch!

Ohhh. It's on Switch? Time to give it a spin this weekend! 

28 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Ohhh. It's on Switch? Time to give it a spin this weekend! 

I have Android & Linux installed on my Switch, I don't know if it's on Horizon - sorry if that's given you the wrong impression! 

Has this been ported to the original Xbox?

Also, I'm not sure why everyone loves RetroArch. It's cumbersome, bloated, difficult to set-up and work, massively oversized and, worst of all (when i last looked at it), it refuses to run unless you put literally every piece of crap in it. Hence multi-gig install sizes.

Whatever happened to usability and portability? I want emulators where I just click and go! Not spend two fiddling with drivers and DLL files.

Going a bit OT but Retroarch is a lot better for 8 and 16-bit console systems, but PS1 and above are a right pain. Beetle PSX is okay but does require per-game tweaking. GC, DC, PS1/PS2 etc are a lot easier to deal with using standalone emulators, I have found, especially if they require plugins and complex profiles. 

• 2 months later...

This has now been added to Retropie as one of the experimental emulators. I’ve only had a chance to have a quick play around with it, but it seems quite impressive - there are a LOT of options to play with, including downsampling, anti-aliasing, flicker-free hi-res, etc. The performance doesn’t seem noticeably better than PCSX-rearmed, and it really chugs if you jack up the resolution in some games. Seems like there’s a lot to tinker with though, which is 50% of the fun when you’re dealing with emulators. 

On 26/04/2021 at 11:50, Sketch said:

Has this been ported to the original Xbox?

Also, I'm not sure why everyone loves RetroArch. It's cumbersome, bloated, difficult to set-up and work, massively oversized and, worst of all (when i last looked at it), it refuses to run unless you put literally every piece of crap in it. Hence multi-gig install sizes.

Whatever happened to usability and portability? I want emulators where I just click and go! Not spend two fiddling with drivers and DLL files.

You shouldn't need to be messing with DLL files. It's all configurable from its GUI.  Use its online updater todownload the cores (aka emulators) you want. Then scan your ROMs folder and it creates all the play lists for you. That's it. Took me a while to figure out it had to be done in that order though!

• 3 weeks later...

Up for giving this a blast.

Can anyone recommend (PM if neccessary) a good safe site/source of ROMs (especially interested in Ridge Racer Revolution (Europe).

Many TIA :)

1 hour ago, phresh said:

There are some megathreads on Reddit that will send you where you need to go, the subreddit names are pretty obvious!

Hi there - I'm now sweet (albeit with US version)

I found this 'For Dummies' guide to Duck Station that worked PERFECTLY for me...LOL

https://fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/duckstation

Plays OK - Even on my shitty ANCIENT Thinkpad - I'm both surprised and pleased :)

7 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Just to say can we not discuss where to find ROMs and the like and limit discussion to the emulator. Thank you. 

Apologies, bad form - I should know better

Letting my Ridge Racer excitement get the better of me :(

I played through metal gear and metal gear vr with this and I still can't quite believe how good a job they've done with it. 

It's like witchcraft! 

I should probably dust off some more of the classics tbh, went down a golf black hole recently though 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been considering an X-Station install but that Series S video has just turned my head. Just imagine what Sony could be achieving with their back catalogue on PS5 if they licenced something like this.

I might give this a look if it's easy to set up (although I'm hardly new to emulation shenanigans.) I had some annoying troubles with various emulators/cores when I was doing my P2:EP thread, so it could be a fun thing to test.

4 hours ago, Major Britten said:

That video has me seriously tempted to get a series s to just use as an emulation machine

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. With the Microsoft Points I have saved up, a Series S would cost me about £80 in actual cash. Which isn't bad, especially when you consider I was looking at getting HDMI converters for loads of my older consoles, which would probably cost me more than that between them...

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. With the Microsoft Points I have saved up, a Series S would cost me about £80 in actual cash. Which isn't bad, especially when you consider I was looking at getting HDMI converters for loads of my older consoles, which would probably cost me more than that between them...

Well considering how crazy retro prices are now with some PS1 games going for more than the price of a series s itself, or getting a PS1 modded with XStation and PSDigital which will also cost more, this seems like a no brainer. Full 4K emulation, graphical fixes that are an actual improvement over the original and an almost 100% compatibility rate. And thats just one system, throw in all the 8-bit, 16-bit systems, Saturn, PSP, Dreamcast and gamecube as well, plus the xbox and 360 backwards compatible titles and this is shaping up to be the ultimate retro console. And in the future theres the chance that we can get better PS2 emulation as well.

On 16/08/2021 at 19:14, disperse and recoagulate said:

Is there a way to make it so the Series X doesn't automatically wipe the developer side everytime you reboot? I know you can tick a button when restarting but I've set it up twice now and forgot and got pissed off.

Did you figure this out?

I've read a few people complaining (Youtube comments) about problems loading ROMs from an external drive into Duckstation - is this a current problem?

I use duckstation (and retroarch) via retail mode (not dev). - if you go to the below  discord and sign up to be white listed (it’s in  start here retail section) once whitelisted you can access this persons apps that they have published - you open the weblink writhing the Xbox internet browsers and the click on the app you want this in turn brings you to Xbox store page it’s on and you install  (retroarch, duckstation, and an ftp client you can run from the Xbox for transfers)

I have an external hd connected to the Xbox with all my rom collections (you need to do this one via the front usb socket).  There is a duckstation core with retroarch but the standalone app works far better 

https://discord.gg/FVhqM5gA