Lemnis Gate - Frontier Developments

KartoffelKopf

Get ready for Lemnis Gate! The thrilling, turn-based strategy shooter is set to play havoc with your perception of time when it launches summer 2021.

Scheduled for release on Steam, as well as PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One, Lemnis Gate blends skill and strategy with unique time travel mechanics.

https://www.lemnisgategame.com/

Not quite sure where the turn-based comes in to it after watching the trailer and yet another online FPS is not getting me too excited but Frontier have a good pedigree. 

Pitch meeting at Frontier Developments:

"What if Frozen Synapse, but a competitive FPS, but Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time?"

"I don't know... why would you say that to me...? I just want the meeting to end so I can eat my lunch."

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

Pitch meeting at Frontier Developments:

"What if Frozen Synapse, but a competitive FPS, but Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time?"

"I don't know... why would you say that to me...? I just want the meeting to end so I can eat my lunch."

Best/worst AOB ever. 

This looks exactly like Quantum League, I know genres are iterated on but this is pretty damn similar and it's a big studio aping an a very decent little Indie.

Doesn't sit right with me.

Edit: Just had a look when development started and it seems to have been worked on for quite some time; so I guess I can give it the benefit of the doubt and look forward to Dr Who shooty shenanigans!

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

This looks exactly like Quantum League, I know genres are iterated on but this is pretty damn similar and it's a big studio aping an a very decent little Indie.

Doesn't sit right with me.

Edit: Just had a look when development started and it seems to have been worked on for quite some time; so I guess I can give it the benefit of the doubt and look forward to Dr Who shooty shenanigans!

It's also not a big studio - Frontier is publishing it, but it's been developed by a team of about 15 people at Ratloop Games Canada.

The Edge feature on this has me really interested. Apparently part of the idea is that it lets you focus more on strategy and positioning than reaction time, because you never fight each other synchronously. So gamers over 24 (that exact number) can still compete. There’s almost a heist movie aspect to your trying to get these perfect 25 (potentially quite spectacular) seconds.

Makes me wonder if you could do a fighting game like this and I’d actually have a prospect of success.

• 3 months later...

Anyone confirm the release date for this? Official PlayStation YouTube has it listed out today as does other sites however the store says 28th September.

edit. Never mind. Just found their tweet saying it’s delayed. How far in advance so Sony make their weekly release video???

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is out today, seems interesting but 2 things:

1. You can't bind the mouse buttons to a lot of basic functions (like jump, sprint etc.)

2. Seems really hard to match with anyone at the moment - not sure if they are having issues.

Anyone else given it a go?

1 hour ago, Sureshot said:

This is out today, seems interesting but 2 things:

1. You can't bind the mouse buttons to a lot of basic functions (like jump, sprint etc.)

2. Seems really hard to match with anyone at the moment - not sure if they are having issues.

Anyone else given it a go?

Can’t get a match either so I’m guessing that the Game Pass curse has overloaded their servers and it’ll be a while until it’s actually playable.

Trying out the tutorials and playing a match against bots has me very intrigued by the premise though. It’s a pretty cool idea that they seem to have pulled off well, but won’t be able to really pass judgement until you can actually play against other people.

The characters and their exaggerated accents are way too derivative of Apex though. It’s kind of embarrassing how similar they are. The droid sounds so identical to Pathfinder that I’d be surprised if they didn’t use sound files found lying on a USB stick in Respawn’s bins. 😆

Absolutely no reason why this shouldn’t be running at 60fps on Series X too.

12 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Can’t get a match either so I’m guessing that the Game Pass curse has overloaded their servers and it’ll be a while until it’s actually playable.

Surely more likely that no one is playing?

It sounds like a cool idea, a bit mind bending until you play it I guess?

It may tank and they'll do a Fortnite with the engine instead.

Which would be a shame because surely this is a very streamable game?

9 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Surely more likely that no one is playing?

Seems unlikely though don’t you think? It’s a simultaneous release on Xbox, PlayStation and PC today with crossplay and day one on Game Pass. Surely there’s enough people trying it out to be able to get a match together after 10 minutes within that lot.

3 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Seems unlikely though don’t you think? It’s a simultaneous release on Xbox, PlayStation and PC today with crossplay and day one on Game Pass. Surely there’s enough people trying it out to be able to get a match together after 10 minutes within that lot.

Hmmm you never know with these sort of things. You'd he surprised how sometimes games don't have enough players.

In this case there may either be a queueing bug OR an over zealous match making filter.

One of the things I am a bit concerned about is the rumblings that the player to go last gets a pretty big advantage. This rang true for the one match I've actually been able to get into so far, where I basically quad-killed my opponent's operatives in the last round to win the game. It feels like you largely avoid this by either being too far away to be worth trying to take down, or spam weapons/blow things up randomly on your prior turns and hope they run into them or give you enough cover.

I'd be very interested to watch 2 decent people at the game go head-to-head to see how it shakes out.

I assume that’s why they have the simultaneous turns option, although on some level that surely kind of defeats the purpose of the game.

I can see some people getting insanely good at it and being able to shut you down no matter what you do though.

I tried this on the Series X and the look settings by default are horrendous. Looking around just swung all over the place. I tried fiddling with all the sensitivity and acceleration options but couldn’t get it to not feel horrible and gave up before finishing the Basics tutorial. Has no one else had this issue?

Re the aiming, I did tweak sensitivity and acceleration, turned off motion blur and it's quite playable now but doesn't feel quite right still.

The last player having advantage thing seems to be corrected by taking it in turns to start (so two halves to each match) on the one I played, at least I think that's the way it works as my opponent then conceded. Good concept, requires some serious brainpower to get your head around it though. 

14 hours ago, Sureshot said:

One of the things I am a bit concerned about is the rumblings that the player to go last gets a pretty big advantage.

I literally played the tutorial match last night before going to bed, and this was instantly my take. I felt it would be a case of whatever you do with your first operative, I'll kill them with mine then steal their damage and take the objective. It's entirely possibvle I'm massively over-simplifying, but all 3 turns were basically reacting and countering what the opponent put on the board. 

My biggest fear is that people will work out optimal strategies very quickly, and by the time I play it online I'll be unable to place anything to any effect. I love the idea, but am not sure that the implementation will match the vision. But, it's great that something slightly unusual is out there!

This seems quite tricky to be good at by design and it's maddening when you frantically place a mine incorrectly or throw a grenade and it doesn't land where, or when you want it to. 

I think it might be a better game in the team variant.  

If anyone wants some 2v2, I'd be interested to play.