Knights of the Old Republic - Remake Windu

Harsin

Not to be mistaken with that laughably doomed from the outset fan project from a few years back where the team didn't even think to check if Disney would allow them to do it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr

Looks like we're getting an updated Knights of the Old Republic, developed by Aspyr. They're mainly a straight port company rather than full on rebuild outfit like Bluepoint. Although it sounds like this will be more of a proper remake bringing in elements from the dealer and it's rumoured that Disney are using this as an opportunity to bring stuff from those games back into official 'canon'.

I loved KOTOR when it came out. I bought the iOS version a while back (by Aspyr) but keep bouncing off it as I don't think a lot of the game has aged gracefully, so a remake with things like better combat and voice acting and more than the one garbled repeated wav. file when you kill an enemy would be great.

I’m always up for this when it gets mentioned as a secret project definitely being worked on. I’d really like an updated console port, even if it kept the original game’s oddities, as I found the Xbox version much more palatable. The PC and iOS versions are so much clicking it’s like Diablo.

The iOS port has a really annoying bug where your character will regularly freeze after combat, you can usually get around it by switching to another character and using them for a while, but it’s still a pain in the arse. It's been there from launch and never fixed, which doesn't instill a huge amount of confidence in Aspyr I admit.

15 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Oh boy, can't wait for a straight port of a game that still works on PC, is backward compatible on XBox and is already ported to Android and iOS!

it was also X enhanced! so right now, the "best" way to play is a series X lol

Best as you can use a pad,

56 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

it was also X enhanced! so right now, the "best" way to play is a series X lol

Best as you can use a pad,

I was just going to say. It better be more than a remaster, because that's what you already get on Xbox with it running at 4k. I loved this game back in the day and I would be up for a proper remake!

• 4 months later...
6 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Was the original ever released on a Playstation platform?  The console port was definitely an xbox-only thing at the time.

No it was not, I think the first bioware game on PlayStation was mass effect 2

1 minute ago, cassidy said:

It were an Xbox exclusive weren't it? 

Pc and Xbox, it was one of that whole wave of previously pc-only types of game getting console ports for the first time on Xbox.

Which, in hindsight, massively influenced the game industry to this day.

I’ve got no idea how they’ll do this at all. The story remains fantastic, but mechanically the original feels clunky as anything these days (to me at least). Real time combat would help but I could well understand fans being thoroughly upset if that happened.

Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out I guess!

It'll be akin to the FFVII remake, I expect. The same overarching plot point, but told differently and with a whole new gameplay style. Plus I think KOTOR is a much shorter, tighter, game than FFVII, so there'll be no need to split the remake into parts. 

I'm very interested in how they handle Kashyyyk, and the Wookies.

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

Plus I think KOTOR is a much shorter, tighter, game than FFVII, so there'll be no need to split the remake into parts. 

It's a different situation also: FFVII was an isometric game with static 2D backgrounds outside the overworld, which was in turn heavily abstracted. It implied more than it actually showed. Translating that into a 3D polygonal setting meant filling in all the gaps, and at that point like 99% of the environments are gaps that need to be filled in. KotOR is already a 3D polygonal game - a very basic looking one by today's standards, but it's a far easier starting point than FFVII I think. 

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

Pc and Xbox, it was one of that whole wave of previously pc-only types of game getting console ports for the first time on Xbox.

Which, in hindsight, massively influenced the game industry to this day.

I'm sure this'll get the same big negative reaction as Tomb Raider going exclusive, etc, etc.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It's a different situation also: FFVII was an isometric game with static 2D backgrounds outside the overworld, which was in turn heavily abstracted. It implied more than it actually showed. Translating that into a 3D polygonal setting meant filling in all the gaps, and at that point like 99% of the environments are gaps that need to be filled in. KotOR is already a 3D polygonal game - a very basic looking one by today's standards, but it's a far easier starting point than FFVII I think. 

I hadn't thought of that. :) They also have plenty of material from the films themselves to draw on. The PT may be shit, but there's no denying Kashyyyk looked good. :)

It'll be interesting to see how they do this. KOTOR was a game that utterly consumed me at the time - I remember just being sat there, boggling at how incredibly compelling it was, almost unable to believe what I was playing. It's literally a Star Wars film you can play! I'm flirting with a sexy female Jedi! This is the greatest art that has ever been created! - but, like the Mass Effect games, it's also something I've had absolutely no interest in revisiting. It feels like something that so completely satiated me that there's no point in going back.

That said, if they can recreate the rich, lush worlds of the films on modern consoles, then that's fairly tempting - I would love to see Tarsis or the unknown world at the end done to contemporary standards. At the same time though, I think I'd rather see a new KOTOR game. It's weird, in that I'm always up for re-watching a Star Wars film, and I love playing through old games again, but something about re-playing KOTOR puts me off.