How do you feel about £70 for a game?

32 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Which to my mind at least suggests the £70 price point is damaging to all parties concerned, in that I fail to see who benefits from it?

You could say it benefits anyone who benefits from games being £70, because it says "this is how much games are now, even if it really hurts sales."

38 minutes ago, Waggo said:

The comparison is Resi will sell a minimum ten times as many copies as Returnal when it launches at the £50 price point.  To be fair it probably would have done at a £70 price point as well, because it is a hugely successful IP that people know, enjoy and buy into.

Which just goes to make it all the more ridiculous that Returnal is priced £20 higher.  Whether or not you feel the game or the developers are deserving of the price is kind of irrelevant, because at that price 90% of potential consumers (myself included) were never going to give it a chance.  

Now I might pick it up second hand or in a sale somewhere down the line, or it might get lost in all the other games out there competing for my time and money.  Either way however the damage is done in terms of Returnal’s sales figures and whether or not the game is considered to be a commercial success.  

Which to my mind at least suggests the £70 price point is damaging to all parties concerned, in that I fail to see who benefits from it?  Even the obvious candidate Sony don’t win if the game is a flop?

As you point out a new RE would always sell significant times the number of copies of Returnal, even if Returnal were half or even a third of the current RRP, because people will always buy into the familiar. Which, as well as it being an entirely different genre, is why I thought it an odd comparison.

I have no idea how Returnal's sales might have gone had it been released at £50 but would expect to still see it struggle against legit, long established, blockbusters like RE, although it might well sell a few more copies than at the current RRP. It's a tough, weird, game to sell to anyone for sure and I'd wager that there would just be more second hand copies out there had it initially released cheaper. I do find it a tad depressing that there is this belief that it is unacceptable that something novel should be priced higher than something (very) familiar. I don't know where the  '90% of customers'  come from who have ruled it out at an RRP of £70 but would be on board at a hypothetical £50 RRP but would be very, very surprised if the game sold ten times more copies on release day for a £20 reduction. 

I'd just like to add that I have never defended the £70 price point per se but was 'happy' to pay it (well, £60) for this one game which, after it has totally consumed the last four days, I have already had better value out of it than any other game i've bought, or had delivered via any sub, this year. It's not something I'll be making a habit of...

6 hours ago, mexos said:

I hate the game. I am so close to uninstalling it. I am only now playing it because I paid £70 for it. I have pissed £70 up the wall and got nothing but misery out of it. 

Alternatively, I love it and can't put it down. I'm now shitting all over enemies that absolutely shat all over me in the opening hours. It's a strong GOTY contender for me.

They might have agreed to the condition but I doubt it's ever been invoked given that PlayStation made up 47% of total Fortnite revenue from March 2018 through July 2020. It's just the market leader covering their arse, as free-to-play games don't require Plus so they don't want to leave the door open for Epic to, say, sell V-bucks for half price just on PC to encourage people to make all their purchases there, meaning Sony don't see a single penny, even if users are spending all their time actually playing the game on PSN. It's not really about cross-platform play.

You seem to have misunderstood, because V-Bucks are cheaper on PC, because they don’t have to pay Sony a 30% cut. They’re also potentially cheaper on Xbox because you can switch regions with the same account. 

I have specifically bought Brazilian V-Reals on Xbox rather than pay more on Switch. 

I would gladly pay £100 for the perfect game, but it doesn’t exist. I would never in a million years pay £70 for a game….unless it’s a well made System Shock 3. I mean I’ve already waited for 22 years so what does a few extra quid mean in the grand scheme of things?

Returnal sounds like a perfect candidate for PS Plus, I’m sure way more people would have got to play it on release that way gaining more exposure and helping drive subscriptions. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Returnal sounds like a perfect candidate for PS Plus, I’m sure way more people would have got to play it on release that way gaining more exposure and helping drive subscriptions. 

It’s not going to drive subscriptions unless there are a whole load of PS5s out there without PS Plus subs. And at this point in the consoles lifetime, with this amount of availability, and the PS Game Collection hinting strongly at you having PS Plus, that isn’t going to be the case.

15 minutes ago, footle said:

It’s not going to drive subscriptions unless there are a whole load of PS5s out there without PS Plus subs. And at this point in the consoles lifetime, with this amount of availability, and the PS Game Collection hinting strongly at you having PS Plus, that isn’t going to be the case.

Not really sure how you can be so certain of that, yes there’s an issue over console availability but there’s not much anyone can do about that, it would still put the game in the hands of more people and surely that’s the point. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Not really sure how you can be so certain of that, yes there’s an issue over console availability but there’s not much anyone can do about that, it would still put the game in the hands of more people and surely that’s the point. 

Only if it helps drive subscriptions (tying into a longer term strategy) or makes the game itself viable (destruction all stars). There’s no indication that a lack of PS5 subscriptions is a problem for PS Plus, or that Sony want to release the likes of Returnal, R&C, The Show onto their $40/year subscription service.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

Only if it helps drive subscriptions (tying into a longer term strategy) or makes the game itself viable (destruction all stars). There’s no indication that a lack of PS5 subscriptions is a problem for PS Plus, or that Sony want to release the likes of Returnal, R&C, The Show onto their $40/year subscription service.

I mean for me it’s pretty easy - if I’m able to play Returnal at launch included with my subscription then that is likely to make me choose a PS5 and subscribe. Obviously you can see what I’m hinting at here with Game Pass, but that’s literally what the competition are doing. 

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

You seem to have misunderstood, because V-Bucks are cheaper on PC, because they don’t have to pay Sony a 30% cut. They’re also potentially cheaper on Xbox because you can switch regions with the same account. 

I have specifically bought Brazilian V-Reals on Xbox rather than pay more on Switch. 

V-Bucks are the same price on PC, PSN and Xbox: £6.49 for 1000, £15.99 for 2800, etc. You may be able to buy them cheaper via exploiting regional pricing, but that's a different thing.

The vast majority of people will make purchases on the platform they're playing on, and from the region they're playing in. I'd say PlayStation's clause is about disincentivising Epic from running promotions only on their store, as otherwise they could tempt PlayStation owners to buy V-Bucks at 20% off on PC* and still make more money by cutting Sony out entirely.

*And functionally this is just making a purchase via a web browser, they don't actually need a capable computer.

£70 as standard just…isn't doable for me now. I mean, there might be the occasional special edition that has something unmissable with it (I paid £70 odd for the recent Dawn of the Dead 4K box-set) but I’d have to be very, very convinced I knew what I was paying for.

Returnal, for example, is the sort of game that I’m fairly sure I would play for a couple of hours before dropping it in frustration and selling after it’s gathered dust for a few months. It’s also the sort of game that, at one time, I’d have thought looked compelling enough to end up buying at launch for £40. £70 though? No chance, and I hope what are pretty dismal UK physical sales for an acclaimed AAA first party exclusive are replicated everywhere so this idea falls by the wayside.

I think the best outcome would be a quick price cut followed by an uptick in sales and Sony taking note, although I suspect Returnal 2 joining a Days Gone sequel on the scrap heap and the Housemarque big budget experiment being shuttered is more likely.

Turns out that Pokémon Snap sold nearly three times what Returnal did at UK launch  from which we can extrapolate that Returnal did less than 9,000 physical copies. Ouch. 

It's a niche game at a high price but that has still got to sting a bit.

While I think asking seventy quid for it will have a had an impoact on sales, I also better not see anyone who's crossing their arms and saying the game isn't for everyone and the difficulty is developer's vision also daring to complain about lack of sales if this has bombed big time.

On 25/04/2021 at 22:33, thesnwmn said:

Maybe at some point and I’m sure it has/will taken a small chunk from them but we see people telling us that it’s not for them and doesn’t offer them value for the way they play (and others who are basically unaware of its existence/details even on a gaming forum).

since I subscribed to Game Pass I haven't bought an actual game on xbox - there's no need.

23 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

I think the best outcome would be a quick price cut followed by an uptick in sales and Sony taking note, although I suspect Returnal 2 joining a Days Gone sequel on the scrap heap and the Housemarque big budget experiment being shuttered is more likely.

Guess they have to be careful... think there might be a few annoyed people if they drop the price too much post launch.

Guessing poor sales new concept AAA games mean going forward its going to be a hard sell for anything with fresh ideas to get a look in. Sure there will be plenty of lower priced indie titles... but big budget games will get ever more generic.

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

since I subscribed to Game Pass I haven't bought an actual game on Xbox - there's no need.

Me either - well on the consoles at least. Even on my PC only bought a couple of games in the past 6 months or so. 

I'm a game pass convert these days - just easy for me always something to play and its priced really well. Also the added benefit of people on my friends list having the same games too so easy to play something together if we decide to.

It's unlikely that Sony will go, well we've now shipped a gazillion consoles, time to lower our game prices lads. It's clear they're hoping this is what they can get away with charging this as the new normal going forward.

It's weird how Returnal is being described as niche, it's a game about shooting aliens, games have been doing that for decades. i think the only thing that could be described as niche about it would be the supposed difficulty and the lack of a save which leads to needing a long time for a decent session on it. Just how many consoles have sony sold do we know? Without that figure these physical numbers are hard to judge. Or do we have figures for Miles or Demons? Not defending £70 by the way I think it's disgusting but I can't help think that Sean has a point, Sony are taking advantage (or trying to at least) of the gap in the market of next gen games for next gen systems.

8 minutes ago, Minion said:

It's weird how Returnal is being described as niche, it's a game about shooting aliens, games have been doing that for decades. i think the only thing that could be described as niche about it would be the supposed difficulty and the lack of a save which leads to needing a long time for a decent session on it. Just how many consoles have sony sold do we know? Without that figure these physical numbers are hard to judge. Or do we have figures for Miles or Demons? Not defending £70 by the way I think it's disgusting but I can't help think that Sean has a point, Sony are taking advantage (or trying to at least) of the gap in the market of next gen games for next gen systems.

I think somebody posted something in another thread showing that Sony had sold 4.5m consoles already?

Just now, Gabe said:

I think somebody posted something in another thread showing that Sony had sold 4.5m consoles already?

In the UK? That sounds like a lot considering the shortage.

2 minutes ago, Minion said:

In the UK? That sounds like a lot considering the shortage.

Ah, sorry, thought you meant worldwide. I think about 500,000 was suggested somewhere?

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

PS5 has already outsold Wii U in the UK which did about 700k. But it's probably not crossed a million yet.

Yeah, also Vita and Dreamcast, but since nobody knows their UK sales figures those are even less useful metrics. The Vita did outsell the Wii U (dramatically so in Europe and Japan), but don't know how that correlates to UK sales specifically.