Jump to content

How do you feel about £70 for a game?


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, footle said:


Well, it’s an argument.

It ignores the front loading of sales that is expected of any videogame (50% of GoT sales were in the first three days), ignores that a successful attach rate across 7 million and 115 million PS4s are very different, ignores that you only release when you think you’ll make your money… or you don’t have any choice. 

 


I’m not arguing, I’m just having my say, stating my opinion and posting facts to back it up. 

 

Its entirely possible that the £70 RRP, may indeed be part of the bigger picture, if Returnal goes on to sell poorly. However, looking at the sales figures I don’t think it is currently selling poorly, considering the circumstances. I think Sony see it as a slow burn, that will gain great word of mouth with “hardcore” players and go on to sell fairly well. However, having put 30hrs into It, I can’t see it ever shifting like hotcakes and being a game that sells like Spider-Man or Uncharted etc. It’s just too uncompromising and difficult. I’d say it’s more comparable with the Souls series or Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry etc.

 

As I’ve already stated I would ideally prefer games to be £30-£40, but I don’t think that’s realistic. Personally, I’m happy to pay for a game that provides good value. For me personally £55 for Returnal is great value. I’d be happy if I’d paid the full RRP though, as it’s a bit of a masterpiece and I can’t see many games meeting it’s quality over the coming gen. If they do, we’re in for a real treat, no matter what the RRP of them is!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Resident Evil Village literally just came out and sold 50% of copies on PS5 compared to 30% on PS4 and this isn't the first time it's happened (I believe Hitman 3 was similar). The vast difference in PS4 and PS5 userbase isn't an excuse for poor sales on the PS5. Sales are showing the engaged core userbase are already on the new consoles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

Its entirely possible that the £70 RRP, may indeed be part of the bigger picture, if Returnal goes on to sell poorly. However, looking at the sales figures I don’t think it is currently selling poorly, considering the circumstances.

Sales have already dropped off massively after a relatively weak first week, so based on that it does not appear to be selling well.

 

There is no bigger picture or circumstances contributing to its success or lack thereof, quite simply it is not performing well at that price point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Majora said:

Resident Evil Village literally just came out and sold 50% of copies on PS5 compared to 30% on PS4 and this isn't the first time it's happened (I believe Hitman 3 was similar). The vast difference in PS4 and PS5 userbase isn't an excuse for poor sales on the PS5. Sales are showing the engaged core userbase are already on the new consoles.


Resident Evil has been firmly established as a house hold name over the past something like 26years. There have been something like 50 Resident Evil branded games released in that time. 
 

Comparing the sales of games like that to new IP, niche, hardcore games like Returnal makes no sense. Just using those kind of figures from the article you are quoting you could say.........80% of all sales of Resident Evil Village were on PlayStation. Only 20% of sales were spread across all Xbox formats. I’ve deducted from this that the Series X/S has sold poorly and failed, and it’s because it costs too much money. That would make little to no sense though. 
 

Ghost of Tsushima had an RRP of £60, which was considerably more than most games and far more than most people are willing to pay on here (£30-£40 has been mentioned as being the magic number). Ghost of Tsushima has sold over 6.7million copies with its £60 RRP and broke sales records. However, it was an incredibly popular, mainstream genre of game.
 

All I’m saying is.......I don’t think Returnal is selling poorly. Even if it is, it won’t be purely down to it having an RRP of £70. I can’t see Returnal ever selling like hotcakes anyway, as it’s too uncompromising, too “hardcore” for the mainstream. If a £70 RRP game provides 100hrs of AAA high quality, incredibly fun gaming, then I’m not sure what all the fuss is supposed to be about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

They've lost a load of sales from people who clearly can afford £70 for a game but choose not to.


Lost or delayed? How quick significant reductions come may be a indication of how successful the pricing was deemed to be, I reckon quite a few people, myself included, are just waiting on the right price. They probably have time too as the release calendar is fairly light this year. Demon’s Souls is still holding around 50 I think.

 

If Ratchet & Clank goes the same way I think there will be a few frantic Sony execs though.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


Lost or delayed? How quick significant reductions come may be a indication of how successful the pricing was deemed to be, I reckon quite a few people, myself included, are just waiting on the right price. They probably have time too as the release calendar is fairly light this year. Demon’s Souls is still holding around 50 I think.

 

If Ratchet & Clank goes the same way I think there will be a few frantic Sony execs though.

 


I paid for £55 on launch for Demon’s Souls, same as Returnal and that was great value. I’m struggling to see the value i’d get from the new Ratchet and Clank though. Of all the games released at £70 that’s the one that seems like a big ask.

 

Demon’s and Returnal both have a long run time and high replay value, the Ratchet games are more “done and dusted” affairs though. I’m interested to see if Sony/Insomniac are going to attempt to add any kind of added replay value or extra modes to bulk things up. If not, then I’ll wait for a sale on that one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

Dark Souls had sold >5 million copies by 2015. Dark Souls 2 had sold more than that. Everything about it suggested it was going to be similar gameplay but with Lovecraftian horror. Not exactly what I'd call niche in comparison to a completely new IP.

Bloodborne was From (;))

the developers of Dark Souls, yes, but it was definitely a completely new IP. And I'll still argue that a Sci-fi game with guns and 99% shooting should be a far a easier sell to the general PlayStation userbase than a Lovecraftian horror game with 99% melee combat.

 

At £70 it's clearly not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CrichStand said:


I paid for £55 on launch for Demon’s Souls, same as Returnal and that was great value. I’m struggling to see the value i’d get from the new Ratchet and Clank though. Of all the games released at £70 that’s the one that seems like a big ask.

 

Demon’s and Returnal both have a long run time and high replay value, the Ratchet games are more “done and dusted” affairs though. I’m interested to see if Sony/Insomniac are going to attempt to add any kind of added replay value or extra modes to bulk things up. If not, then I’ll wait for a sale on that one.

Ratchet & Clank will have had the same or more attention lavished on it as Returnal, it’s a next gen AAA title and comes with next gen AAA costs. So why shouldn’t it cost £70 if it’s a cut above anything we’ve experienced before, and isn’t that what you were arguing when defending exactly the same price point for Returnal? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Bloodborne was From (;))

the developers of Dark Souls, yes, but it was definitely a completely new IP. And I'll still argue that a Sci-fi game with guns and 99% shooting should be a far a easier sell to the general PlayStation userbase than a Lovecraftian horror game with 99% melee combat.

 

At £70 it's clearly not.


Returnal has a lot in common with games like Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry etc. How did they sell at £40-£45. Well Bayonetta, regarded as an all time classic action game, was deemed to have sold poorly when it was first released. Think it sold 1.5million across all formats back in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Ratchet & Clank will have had the same or more attention lavished on it as Returnal, it’s a next gen AAA title and comes with next gen AAA costs. So why shouldn’t it cost £70 if it’s a cut above anything we’ve experienced before, and isn’t that what you were arguing when defending exactly the same price point for Returnal? 

Is there anything in returnal that really couldn’t have been done on PS4?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, footle said:

Is there anything in returnal that really couldn’t have been done on PS4?

I’d imagine so, I’m probably not the best person to ask though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Lost in my case; as I said, I’ve now bought a second hand copy off someone on here. 


Just as well they sold it for £70 originally then ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thor said:

Bloodborne was From (;))

the developers of Dark Souls, yes, but it was definitely a completely new IP. And I'll still argue that a Sci-fi game with guns and 99% shooting should be a far a easier sell to the general PlayStation userbase than a Lovecraftian horror game with 99% melee combat.

 

At £70 it's clearly not.


I don’t there’s anyway you can reasonably argue that a spiritual successor to a franchise with ~15 million sales is a more niche than a rogue like starring a middle aged woman, from a developer that makes arcade games that hardly anyone bought. 

 

Even on this forum the response to the game was pretty ambivalent until the preview period started. Blood borne was massively hyped from the second there was that CGI teaser at E3. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:


I don’t there’s anyway you can reasonably argue that a spiritual successor to a franchise with ~15 million sales is a more niche than a rogue like starring a middle aged woman, from a developer that makes arcade games that hardly anyone bought. 

 

Even on this forum the response to the game was pretty ambivalent until the preview period started. Blood borne was massively hyped from the second there was that CGI teaser at E3. 

You make some fair points. I wasn't actually impressed myself with the previews of Returnal, whereas I was indeed massively hyped for Bloodborne prior to release. So yeah, I'll give you that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Returnal's protagonist always looks like Alan Pardew to me. Who isn't drawn to an Alan Pardew game?


A69C8A96-CDA1-43EA-86AF-629BD2045378.jpeg.62f4ba359ebe583919f742c9ff16905a.jpeg
F7B3C034-2DA2-4584-82D0-CF0392278096.thumb.jpeg.634bb98c2dd47e9f8d26ca52dd2f2a2b.jpeg

 

Your on to something… maybe that’s the twist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of the points about Returnal's sales figures make sense.

 

On the one hand given that there isn't much competition on the PS5 it should be selling hand over fist to an audience of gamers hungry for PS5 content regardless of price.

 

On the other hand the market is limited by how many PS5's are getting out there to consumers. Sales of PS5 games have been weirdly low due to a combination of COVID, semiconductor shortages and scalping.

 

I mean look at the performance of Resident Evil Village on the PS5. This is a game that has sold a lot across all formats.

 

https://www.denofgeek.com/games/resident-evil-village-sales-figures-franchise/

 

Quote

Resident Evil Village‘s full sales figures are not available quite yet, but a statement released by Capcom makes it clear that the game is already on pace to set franchise records.

“Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that new title Resident Evil Village for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC has shipped over 3 million units worldwide,” the studio says.

 

Thing is because of limited supply it's flopped on the PS5 due to shortages etc. Just compare how much it sold compared to more available platforms.

 

https://www.gamesradar.com/au/resident-evil-village-sold-nearly-half-of-all-its-copies-on-ps5/

 

Quote

Nearly half of Resident Evil Village's total sales in the UK were on PS5.

The news was first reported earlier today by GamesIndustry.biz's Chris Dring, in the tweet that you can see below (and you can head over to GamesIndustry.biz's full writeup on the charts for more stats from the past week). 

Find the cheapest prices on games and consoles at Getprice.com.au

It's an eyebrow-raising statistic for Resident Evil Village, considering the game not only launched on PS5, PC, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S, but also PS4 and Xbox One, the install bases of which far outweigh that of Sony's next-gen console.

 

So as you can see....um....wait.....er.....look ignore that. I think we can see though that this vindicates the high price of PS5 games. After all Returnal in my country goes for $109AU. And it's the same with Resident Evil Village which is being sold at $89AU. Hang on....um....oh dear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think Returnals art direction has hindered it also. If I hadn’t watched a stream of someone playing it by chance then I’d have zero interest in the game and wouldn’t have touched it with a pole based on first impressions alone.

 

From a distance it looks incredibly bland. It’s going to be a game which gains a post-life following through word of mouth. Nice for pride points but pride doesn’t keep studios afloat or the industry in a position to take risks in games of that nature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The character is bland but not in the giving her a mohawk, a big chest and generic space marine swearing is bland. They could’ve done that and got at least 1 extra sale off a bored horny teenager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

The character is bland but not in the giving her a mohawk, a big chest and generic space marine swearing is bland. They could’ve done that and got at least 1 extra sale off a bored horny teenager.

Bangalore? She’s pretty badass

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

I do think Returnals art direction has hindered it also. If I hadn’t watched a stream of someone playing it by chance then I’d have zero interest in the game and wouldn’t have touched it with a pole based on first impressions alone.

 

From a distance it looks incredibly bland. It’s going to be a game which gains a post-life following through word of mouth. Nice for pride points but pride doesn’t keep studios afloat or the industry in a position to take risks in games of that nature.

 

I love the art direction. But then I loved the art direction of Metal Slug back in the day. Too expensive though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm buying Resident Evil Village today, £40 at Tesco.  I'm reading on the forum how the content is front loaded and the comments are mixed.  £40 though.  I'll take a punt.  If it was higher than that is wait for it to drop to £20.  Weird psychology but there it is...

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I'm buying Resident Evil Village today, £40 at Tesco.  I'm reading on the forum how the content is front loaded and the comments are mixed.  £40 though.  I'll take a punt.  If it was higher than that is wait for it to drop to £20.  Weird psychology but there it is...

 

I totally see where you're coming from. If I'm not having it day 1 then I'll just wait until the price drops way below what my day 1 price would have been.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Well, that anecdotal example really proves your point, compared to the really poor sales figures. 

 

Housemarque have been utterly hamstrung by Sony's pricing. If you genuinely don't think a £70 price point is an issue - despite the damning sales - then you really haven't got a clue. They've lost a load of sales from people who clearly can afford £70 for a game but choose not to. A number of members have said on here that they would have purchased at £45-50 but that £70 was too much. It's a ridiculous pricing strategy for a game of this type. The £50 I would have spent on purchasing this on PSN has now gone to another forumite for their copy. Housermarque and Sony see nothing of that £50 now. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But that copy would have been sold to someone else if you'd have bought digitally, not like it was DRMed to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's obvious to me that a new IP which is 'difficult' and likely not particularly mainstream shouldn't have been the poster child for a new £70 price point, and that Returnal should have been released at the industry norm RRP if not below that. I mean, this is just common sense and not exactly rocket science. This was Sony's first experiment to see whether the market will support eye-gouging prices. It won't, at least not for an unproven IP from a developer that has never released a game in the AAA space. As I've said before, I hope that Housemarque is insulated from the consequences of this awful, greedy decision, and I'm glad that the public (not me, though, as I bought the game) responded as they should have.

 

I still think that Sony is experimenting with this new price in the first year to ascertain which types of game it'll work with (if any) as they have a useful slate comprising titles at different levels of hype, budget, franchise history and predicted sales. By the end of this year, the results should allow it to make an informed decision. My predictions:

 

Returnal: NO.

Ratchet & Clank: Slightly better, but still NO.

Horizon 2: YES, but overall sales nowhere near where they would have been at £50 (of course, Sony can just blame the userbase level and hope for a long tail after the game has been discounted. Total sales over the life of the generation may not be particularly affected). 

 

Then we wait to see whether arrogance will lead to Sony keeping the price of new games at £70, or whether business sense will see them drop it. We can already see from Resident Evil 8 (and likely the Mass Effect Trilogy remaster) that games will sell well at the previous level despite there being relatively few current gen console owners. Of course, those are proven franchises... but so is Ratchet & Clank, so we'll see how that one does and it should give us better data for the likely success or failure of the new RRP than Returnal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.