How do you feel about £70 for a game?

The same way I feel about £60 or even £50 for a game. Too damn much. £40's about where my buying point begins, and it has to be something pretty great.

There's some special games I'd buy at full price to support them (Yakuza 7, for example), but I'm usually happy waiting until they're closer to the £20 mark some months down the line.

On 24/04/2021 at 16:33, Wiper said:

Given the fact that the vast majority of games that exist that take more than 10 hours to complete would be dramatically improved by being severely cropped and not, say, padded out without 30 hours of repeated unchallenging gameplay loops and inexplicably overextended sub-Hollywood storytelling, I think I'd rather take that option and not pay £70 for the privilege. Length != 'value'.

Edit - snip!

There was no need for this, apologies, @Wiper!

I got Hitman 3 for £55 which seems like a bargain now. I might even “take a punt” on biomutant at £55. I can’t pay £69.99 for returnal though.

so my take a punt price has gone way up since just last year but even £59.99 compared to 55 seems like a massive increase.

I wonder if Sony are selling high and then cutting deeper for longer this gen, excluding launch games that is.

This will be the final PlayStation console i believe and this generation is going to last 10 years before something new comes along.

1 minute ago, Bobby Digihill said:

Much less of a hot take, than "I'm assuming you can't afford it, if you don't don't like this".

To be fair it's entirely true that I also wouldn't spend £70 on a game from a genre I don't enjoy.

4 hours ago, Minion said:or even 18 months when this new gen has finally taken off I hopefully won't be paying £65 for new games.

I can see Sony adding a Permanent 10% off on the store as a PS++ annual subscriber benefit

I would think that £70 takes a game out of the 'impulse buy' zone for most people.

I have spent that much before on single games but only on Kickstarter projects that I was keen to support (e.g. Battletech, Shenmue III) and where I knew I was paying over the odds to help get the game made.

I guess we'll find out over the next couple of years if there is a market for a premium price point of £70 but like most, I'll wait until the price drops to a point that I'm happy to pay.

It's pure fucking greed in an era where these games have wider distribution than ever before and platform holders are posting record profits.

Comparing a mass produced £70 disc that is stocked in my local Sainsbury's , or even worse a non entity digital download to a specially imported, expensive to manufacture SNES cart from Japan in the 90s is an analogy that just doesn't cut it. 

I don’t even remember buying most Mega Drive games for £30 - £40. Maybe Sonic 2 but not much else. I - and most people I knew - were trading in and getting second hand carts. Those expensive imports were way out of my budget.

I really really like the look of Returnal but I refuse to pay £70 for it. £50-ish maybe.

Yes.  I bought a PS5 knowing full well that there would be games that were going to cost this amount.

I'll perhaps stop double dipping so much and be more considerate of my choice of platform, but I have no issue with paying £70 for a game. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

If you want to be disingenuous about it then yes, of course. You know full well I mean big blockbuster movies at the cinema, Blu Rays on release etc. etc.

How is it being disingenuous? You just said a blanket ‘media’, I gave you examples  and now you’re moving the goalposts because you didn’t like the answer. For films and music, subscription services are probably the main way people consume film/TV series/movies in their homes now. Yes, if you narrow it down a very specific subset of media that expressly suits your purposes then I guess £70 games do work out cheaper. But you’re not really proving much then since, apart from money, games are competing for the finite resource of people’s time.

Blu Ray is not a good example anyway because when, let’s say a Disney film, is released on disc it generally comes out on Disney+ at the same time. The physical film media market is tiny compared to streaming market as well nowadays. Cinema is a better comparison (particularly how much Disney and HBO Max are charging for to view a stream during what would have been the cinema release), but that’s an area that’s currently going through it’s own existential crisis in the face of changing viewing habits and streaming services making stuff with comparable budgets to all but the biggest blockbusters (not to mention the pandemic).

A few people have asked for a poll. Happy to add one.

Just someone please give me what options you want in it, so I can pass the buck on the inevitable moaning that it should have had more/less options.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

The games have always been £40-£60 argument ignores a whole period of the British games industry. That's not unusual, there was a sort of retconning of UK games history that started to happen in the 2000s, where you'd swear everyone grew up with a NES with a copy Super Mario 3, watching The Wizard while wearing a Power Glove. Personally, when I was a kid I was sorting through spinning display rack of £2.99 cassettes at my local newsagent and the 'expensive' games were stuff like Ocean movie licenses that cost a tenner. Consoles only really started becoming a dominant force in this country with the Mega Drive and the SNES. Even then, my nearest game shop operated a swap shop with a shelf of games where you would pay £5 to swap of your with one someone else dropped off. Actual full price games were very much saved for birthdays and Christmas.

In turn though this ignores the period before that when everyone had an Atari and the games were really expensive.

I've bought new AES releases at the turn of the century. £200 or thereabouts. That's because those games were worth it. When you bought Metal Slug 3 it was an extremely safe deal.

There simply isn't anything priced at £70 that catches my interest these days. Nothing. It'd be the same if they were £40, or even £20. My time is more precious than the fiscal outlay.

I've not owned a PlayStation since the PS2, though. So I'm certainly the wrong person to ask.

I think I only ever owned four or five SNES games. The vast majority of stuff I played was either rented, borrowed or swapped with friends at school.

the industry was much smaller and it  couldn't sustain that today.

It's not a sensible comparison. 

39 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Just someone please give me what options you want in it, so I can pass the buck on the inevitable moaning that it should have had more/less options.

What’s the most you would pay for a new PS5 game, with £5 increments?

15 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The poll question should be:

“Do you agree that value is an abstract concept based on a near infinite combination of personal factors that make it impossible to quantify?”

and the answer options should be:

”Yes”

£70 for a standard edition is unlikely to get me to buy. I’ve bought all sorts of batshit collectors edition, mostly in the 360 era, some costing way too much. I also used to be in the arcade hobby where a single PCB routinely can cost hundreds so I’m not totally against it, it’s just a tough sell to me. I’ve not bought any PS5 games at that price yet anyway.

£70 - would need to be a new Ridge Racer or something from Soulsborne to go for a day one without a demo. Otherwise I'll wait for the price drop. 

Some of you crazies have been paying that sort of money for digital downloads and shitty collectors versions with toys and MP3 soundtracks anyway. 

I recall a new Mortal Kombat coming out on PAL SNES a few decades back, I remember asking my local games shop how much - £69.99 - yeah OK, if this is the future I'm done with gaming. I feel like this now even in 2021

The thing is, you don’t have to do you? Anyone who doesn’t want to can wait a few months, if that. Which is the problem with the price.  

If we lived in a world of Nintendo cartridges that would stay at £70 forever then, maybe, for certain games I would.

As it is, buying a new game is like buying a new car. You lose a lot of value the minute you do it. That’s what makes paying £70 feel especially egregious when it’ll be £20 in six months. I don’t mind missing out on saving £20 for the sake of getting a game day one, for certain games, but a £50 difference is, well, different. 

I’d pay it for a football game that I know I’ll get days out of, but that football game will be £20 by Xmas, so the day one premium of £20 to £30 over that is the real decision. I pay it at the moment, I get enough use to make it worthwhile. I wouldn’t pay more though, unless the game was going to be £70 all year. Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

The thing is, you don’t have to do you? Anyone who doesn’t want to can wait a few months, if that. Which is the problem with the price.  

Demon's Souls is still £74 after six months.

I only pay full price for, somewhat ironically, the yearly updates for FIFA and F1.

For my son, you understand.

Everything else will be cheaper soon enough.

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

That's more than the price it would have launched at had it come out on PS4 last year, which is probably the whole point of Sony pricing their games at £70. After 6 months Sony can reduce their games to a price still higher than what we were all paying for The Last of Us 2 at launch just last year and we're fooled into thinking we're getting a deal.

I'm guilty of this. Jumping on a Returnal preorder because I saw it for £55 when I didn't pay £55 for a single game last generation. But I somehow feel I've gotten a deal.

I don't remember the last time I paid more than £40 for a game. In fact, aside from the odd Nintendo game (like Pokemon), I haven't paid more than £25 for a game in probably a decade or more.

Except £100 on Fallout 4 and £270 on Shenmue III but they don't count because reasons.