How do you feel about £70 for a game?

8 hours ago, jonamok said:

Just reading the first issue of Edge from August 1993, and they reviewed a Neo Geo game that was listed as costing £225! Which is like, what, a million dollars today? At least the reviewer had the decency to mention the insane price.

Probably worth a grand though now :ph34r:

Yep, Returnal is a game I'm very interested in, but the price point completely put me off. I'll pick a copy up when it's cheaper, even though I feel bad for Housemarque - worse, I won't even pick it up for as much as I would have in the old pricing: I'd have bought it for £40 to enjoy it while there was the excitement around the launch window to drink in, but given I'll be picking it up belatedly* I can't see me grabbing it for more than £30.

*unless the price crashes extremely quickly

44 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

What are these modest expectations based on though, Returnal must be a hard game to estimate the sales of, based on it being a new IP from a relatively unknown (to many) studio and quite different to what they have released before. Amazon sold out but I expect they were relatively cautious on stock and orders probably ramped up significantly after the previews.

21 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What are these modest expectations based on though, Returnal must be a hard game to estimate the sales of, based on it being a new IP from a relatively unknown (to many) studio and quite different to what they have released before. Amazon sold out but I expect they were relatively cautious on stock and orders probably ramped up significantly after the previews.

He expected it to outsell Pokémon Snap (which sold about 26,000 copies, apparently) but it didn't. 

It's interesting to see how well Returnal does. I do think the £70 price tag is the biggest issue the game faces, though. 

If Pokémon Snap sold roughly 26k copies to 'comfortably' outsell Returnal then I'd be surprised if Returnal broke 15k. I can't see digital sales being huge on a notoriously difficult £70 new IP either.

I did wonder, given the growing hype over the past week and positive reviews, if it would end up doing better than I feared but I'm not sure it has.

2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's interesting to see how well Returnal does. I do think the £70 price tag is the biggest issue the game faces, though. 

It is but for me it’s in combination with the difficulty. If it had been cheaper I would of took a chance but at the moment, especially without a save, I fear it may just be too hard/frustrating.

I was reading Twitter earlier and people where boasting (but not detailing obviously, that would be too useful) that they where buying a £70 game (Returnal) for between £54 and £56 on digital download. Buggered if I can find a place that sells UK Top ups for that low

£61 is what Returnal actually cost me thanks to two £35 PSN top-ups.

I've argued, very recently, that given inflation £70 is actually a reasonable price point today. But I do wonder, if the price was £80 and I needed to pay about £72 actual money ... would I? 

I dunno. 

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

I was reading Twitter earlier and people where boasting (but not detailing obviously, that would be too useful) that they where buying a £70 game (Returnal) for between £54 and £56 on digital download. Buggered if I can find a place that sells UK Top ups for that low

Eneba probably. Best deal I’ve been considering is 15% off at CDKeys but you need to buy £100 card, they tend to go in and out of stock each weekday.

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

£61 is what Returnal actually cost me thanks to two £35 PSN top-ups.

I've argued, very recently, that given inflation £70 is actually a reasonable price point today. But I do wonder, if the price was £80 and I needed to pay about £72 actual money ... would I? 

I dunno. 

£70 is now in the area where I’ll think about it rather than just buy it, which in real terms means having to pay over £55ish. Returnal was available for £55 to preorder but I wasn’t sure at that point.

Ratchet & Clank is similar but I’m not sure even at £55, though I really enjoyed the PS4 remake.

Man I dunno about inflation. It just seems to me like compared to the current cost of everything else, asking £70 for one game is a bit much. Particularly an 8-15 hour game. 

Personally I am not buying any games at that price unless I am certain I will play it. This is the opposite of my historical spending habits. I tend to get the new hotness, ask questions later.

I fear piles of shame will get smaller which I am not sure is helping the industry overall. 

I think maybe they are just trying to push upwards the mean knowing that most games are  (and will be) actually sold below that price? 

Realistically I think few people will pay this for a single player game, unless we are talking about a very big release or something they buy for sure every year like CoD.

The solution to rising costs should have been to make game smallers and figure out how to make them more cheaply, and instead they’ve decided to make them more expensive. 

It’s also done in addition to everything else. 

We pay this for legendary edition, then this for dlc, then this for a costume, then this for in-game currently, and the list goes on. 

They are already selling consoles and games in record numbers, the market is growing every year in terms of players and how much they spend. However, this is not enough. 

We are a few decisions away from the gaming equivalent of the creation of the super league.

Sub 26k for Returnal in the UK is pretty shocking, that’s Balan Wonderworld territory. Obviously you can't read too much into that because it's only one datapoint, but considering it's the only datapoint available on how £70 games will do, oof.

(I wasn't expecting any impact, just a dent in future growth, but I guess the UK had a much bigger and faster increase than the US, I''d expect their figures to be a bit more rosy)

Probably worth noting that it evidently wasn't just a shade under 26k either, and must in fact have been below 18,500 (assuming a straight 70 vs 50 price comparison):

29 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Everyone making the inflation argument, please shove it up your backsides. 

£40 back in 1997 is roughly £75 now. There's no getting away from that. And many games were £50, even £60 back then. I'm pretty sure Shadows of the Empire on the N64 was £59.99. That's over £100 today, so don't go telling anyone to shove inflation up their arse.

Sure, Sony are making a lot of money off the PlayStation brand. But that means they can afford to bankroll games like Returnal. Have they made a mistake with the price point now that the game is finished? Actually yes, I believe they have. They've gone too high too soon. People grumbled a little about Bloodborne being £50 back in 2015, but soon got over it. £60 now would have had a similar reaction, and people would have gotten over it. £70 is too much a of leap psychologically.

But in terms of inflation, it's a fair price. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Everyone making the inflation argument, please shove it up your backsides. 

How much of that was PS+/PSNow/video purchases rather than games though? And does that graph account for inflation?

Dekay, what’s your point with the former? That they’re not making as much money from games? The games that are repeatedly breaking sales records?

The idea that costs to the consumer should rise with inflation is tied to the idea that the production costs are also subject to inflation and generally, that the product or service is finite. It doesn’t really apply here, because while the cost of development has risen, the cost of publishing has fallen considerably and the market has grown massively. 

And that’s ignoring other factors like 60-70% of consumers are no longer able to sell their games on, or even return them for a refund. 

24 minutes ago, deKay said:

How much of that was PS+/PSNow/video purchases rather than games though? And does that graph account for inflation?

$1 in 2000 is worth about $1.54 today. But the yen is basically static, because it’s been all but deflating for the last two decades. So surprisingly, that’s an inflation adjusted graph, and the argument that they’re not see real growth is bollocks.

(also, why does “are they getting money from PS Plus” mean fuck all to people paying £70 for a game in this country, and the equivalent of £50-£55 in the states?)

I'm surprised that Sony went for £70 for this game,  given the Developer and what I've seen of the game,  I honestly thought it was more a £25 indie, not a top price AAA release. That's not intended as a slight,  it looks good,  but their previous games were smaller affairs,  and AFAIK they're not a huge company. 

I'd wager that if Sony are trying to charge £70 for this,  then they're charging £70 for pretty much everything. 

Sony were planning on charging £70 for Destruction All Stars. Good job they eventually decided to stick it on PSN+ instead as there was barely a budget £25 game’s worth of content in there.

Now that I've played it, Returnal is more than deserving of being priced in line with most other retail games. It's certainly worth more than £25. The issue remains the bump to £70 rather than it not being priced as a mid-tier indie game.

10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Dekay, what’s your point with the former? That they’re not making as much money from games? The games that are repeatedly breaking sales records?

Is the increase in revenue from game sales, or is it from PS+ and other services? Which didn’t exist towards the left of the graph. Or some of both.

And yeah, some games have sold really well, but that won’t account for the increase alone.

£50 would have been the sweet spot for Returnal, that’s still full price so in no way would be viewed as a lesser game or anything, but really they are only going to do big numbers at this £70 premium on tent pole releases like Spider-man, God of War, etc.