IGNORED

Games made with love, care, passion and enthusiasm

dumpster

I feel much like the OP does about Gradius 5, with Streets of Rage 4. Never did I expect it to be so finely balanced between a new experience and pleasing the nostalgia crowd. The developers obviously love the series and you can see the care and effort in everything from the graphics to the music, the characters and the general atmosphere of the game, as well as the easter eggs and unlockables. 

I just wish that all other reboots/sequels had as much passion apparent in them. 

Is Sonic Mania too obvious? It's pretty much "by fans for fans", with lots of little nods throughout.

Honourable mention to Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition; yes, it's a remake, but it's packed with features you'd expect in a full-price fighter - combo challenges, online lobbies - has some excellent netcode, includes a bunch of bonus extras in its "Vault" and is pretty faithful to the arcade version. It makes a lot of other fighter re-releases look embarrassingly half-arsed.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is the one I always trot out. They took the core elements of an infamous, iconic video game, added enough twists to make it Something New but still emphatically Pac-Man, and delivered what I consider to be a legitimate masterpiece.

I absolutely agree with Street Fighter IV as well.

I'm gonna say pretty much every Japanese-developed arcade game particularly from the mid-'80s to around 2000.

So much revolutionary work, ideas and artistry - fuelled by caffeine, cigarettes and candy, with developers practically living with each other and sleeping under their desks.

Where did the resulting revenue go, I wonder.

Castlevania.

The levels that are believable, contiguous spaces built from background tiles that manage to feel grimy, mouldering and textured despite the NESs palette limitations. The iconic enemy designs with their own unique behaviours full of subtle weaknesses to exploit that became the backbone of the franchise for years. The way simple combinations of enemies and positioning and whichever sub weapon you're holding at the time combine to create incredible moment to moment variety.

A near perfect game.

Most Treasure games are absolutely great labours of love. Bangai-O and Sin & Punishment are my favourites. Again, a tragedy they’re not available on modern hardware. 

Katamari Damacy and the Yakuza games also are amazing examples of great concepts applied successfully while keeping the originality and love that went into them.

Llamasoft - every single title across every format since 1981 - 40 years of dedication, love, care and passion.

*thread ends*

Oh ok I get the impression with No Man's Sky that it was a real labour of love.

But Llamasoft is the real answer, a man (now two men) who just love making their great little games and hope to earn enough to keep their quiet little life ticking along.

Sea of Thieves for me.  So many wonderful nods to the genre, to films/books/comics from the childhood of the developers, even links to previous Rare games on ship liveries etc.

Also, there are some really nice touches for members of the community too, found on cave paintings etc.  The world is full of these little easter eggs.

The base design of the game is nice enough, but there seems to be more love, care and attention poured into this game with every passing update.

I just find it a lovely game to play - a huge reason for this is the presentation and the passion oozing out of it.

I'd have to say that the mainstream monster that is the GT series. Kazunori Yamauchi is a car nut and it shows. They get it right more often than they get it wrong, however I would guess that not even he would have envisaged where the popularity of it has taken the series.