Bedrock - Flintstones 20 years later

I think it’s important that they stick to the essence of the original content which is having every single last episode involve Fred worrying about getting fired from work and then that not happening in the end. 

Flintstones is a bit old isn't it? Only the oldies will go and watch it. What we could do to get younger audiences on board is to have Pebbles be a vlogger? and everyone goes around using a rock as a phone that they call the i-rock. Stuff like that will make it a big success. 

On 29/04/2021 at 09:53, K said:

I really don't understand what you could do with the idea of a modern Flintstones. The concept of the Flintstones was that it was a 1950s sitcom, except with lots of puns about the stone age and where dinosaurs / birds / lizards take the place of record players / cranes / some other shit. It's not exactly an idea that takes you anywhere else.

The comic series that SeanR mentioned is definitely worth look to see what a good writer can do with the concept. The stories are brilliant little pieces of satire on modern living, science vs religion and politics and its more than just 'hilarious' stone age puns. The issue where Fred and Wilma are abused in the street for wanting to get married instead of just sticking to their sex caves as God intended was a nicely executed commentary on homophobia...…but also with some good puns.

flintstones_4.JPG

22 hours ago, Capwn said:

Flintstones is a bit old isn't it? Only the oldies will go and watch it. What we could do to get younger audiences on board is to have Pebbles be a vlogger? and everyone goes around using a rock as a phone that they call the i-rock. Stuff like that will make it a big success. 

I was thinking this can't be right. Surely they're still churning out straight to video/DVD/Blu-ray/streaming specials, if nothing else. I know they're still doing that with Scooby Doo.

Turns out the last one was The Flintstones & WWE: Stone Age SmackDown, released in 2015. And that was the first one since 2001. And if this clip is anything to go by, it's probably awful. Stone tablets with screens ? How does that work then?

It also turns out there already is/was a reboot of sorts that has seemingly only been aired in the UK and Canada (surely you've seen it @Capwn). I think the phrase "looks like it was made in Flash" is overused, but this really does look like it was made in Flash. And looks utter shite.

So yeah, kids might have some awareness of it, but not as much as I thought. 

On 29/04/2021 at 09:53, K said:

I really don't understand what you could do with the idea of a modern Flintstones. The concept of the Flintstones was that it was a 1950s sitcom, except with lots of puns about the stone age and where dinosaurs / birds / lizards take the place of record players / cranes / some other shit. It's not exactly an idea that takes you anywhere else.

Surely it’ll just be like Modern Family, with Fred as the curmudgeonly boomer grandad, Pebbles as the Gen X mum, and her kids as the millennials no one gets. It writes itself! 

On 28/04/2021 at 18:10, Pete said:

The Flintstones is one of those programs I watched and kind of hated as a child. I just loved the intro I think. That and it was always on.

Same here. Top Cat had a similar feel about it too. They both felt like adult sitcoms that were dumped in the children's schedules because cartoons = for kids.

6 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Same here. Top Cat had a similar feel about it too. They both felt like adult sitcoms that were dumped in the children's schedules because cartoons = for kids.

it's The Phil Silvers Show (sgt. Bilko) with cats