Mare of Easttown

Spoiler

And the fact that so many people in the town are addicted to drugs. It feels like a direct rip of Twin Peaks with the teen storyline. You have the gold heart necklace, the missing diaries, the dark forest, incest and sex work. All that's missing is the cocaine dealing.

I love how much this zips along.  So much has happened in 6 episodes.  Nearly every plot event gets set up and resolved almost straight away, none of this teasing a plot point or mystery for 6 episodes before you get an answer.

Awesome television.

Well, for me that was a thoroughly satisfying series finale. I have a few very minor quibbles about the resolution to the mystery, but everything else was fantastic. Julianne Nicholson did some tremendous work in that final episode, and Jean Smart was just a delight throughout, but if Winslet doesn't win an Emmy I'll be amazed. 

Yes, that was great. Like you say, couple of quibbles about the resolution, but they can be ignored easily enough. 

What a wonderful series! They built a completely believable little world and made you care about everybody in it. Brilliant performances from everyone, I'm genuinely going to miss spending time with all the characters.

Yeah, you've summed up the real beauty of it nicely - small-town murder mysteries are nothing new, but Easttown and its characters were so beautifully realised. Even when the plot erred towards the melodramatic, the place felt authentic and the performances were believable enough to ground it. 

My wife and I were both sat in tears at the end, a beautifully pitched show.  Even though I absolutely loved it, I really hope they don’t feel the need for a second season.

Probably the best show i have seen this year. Loved it. 

So well paced, written and acted. Great ending. 

Best TV show I've seen since Chernobyl.  To echo what people above say, I hope there isn't a second series, it just felt perfect as it was.

The only thing I didn't quite buy was every single character in the church at the end, listening to the sermon, but who knows, maybe that really happens in small town America.

As others have said, really excellent show this and was thoroughly gripped throughout. A few thoughts now that I've seen the last episode:

Spoiler

Not massively keen on the resolution personally. The twist was very well done, we really didn't see it coming until the last episode! And is has that very clever property of suddenly twisting the meaning of previous scenes and conversations that you've already seen. John saying "I need to hear you say it" to his brother for example, and his brother seemingly dealing with the realisation, but in hindsight dealing with the sacrifice he was going to make! It's really satisfying when shows achieve this.

That said, although you get the dramatic swerve you definitely lose something in the portrayal of the story of a murdered young woman. Yes it's interesting to explore the unlikely events of an accidental child murderer, but obviously this then fails to comments on or represent the reality of violence against women in the world we all live in.

Similarly with the priest. Even setting aside that terrible sermon we endured in the final episode ("they will tell you they don't deserve your mercy" - how did he manage to fit so much sanctimoniousness into just one line?!), his storyline also served to play on the viewers expectations and had the Catholic priest who was accused of sexual assault (and who tampered with evidence in a murder investigation!) coming out squeaky clean in the end. A nice way of serving us yet another potential murderer, but at the expense of undermining the reality of child abuse issues in the Catholic church.

I don't know if this seems nickpicky? It feels like a bit more than that to me. But I agree it doesn't overshadow all the fantastic performances and quality storytelling.

I probably should rewatch the relevant bits but was the period of time very small, and just during the night of the murder, where

Spoiler

The colt gun was taken, the bloke who owned it finding it missing, the kid putting it back and then the gun being found back in its place

Posted (edited)

Thought this was really, enjoyed the fairly slow pace and...

Spoiler

didn't see the twist coming until the last episode. Agree that it added an extra element to a number of previous scenes,like when John was having the Co cersation with his son which changed emphasis twice. At first we were led to believe it was about John's affair with a previous woman, then John's affair with Errin, in actuality it was around his son killing Errin. 

Winslet was great in in too, not sure what Giy Pearce added other than an additional red herring - given he is an established name you would assume it would all end up with him perhaps. Great TV. 

Edited by mod: requested to spoiler tag.

Edited by sprite
Added spoiler tag.

8 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

I probably should rewatch the relevant bits but was the period of time very small, and just during the night of the murder, where

Reveal hidden contents

The colt gun was taken, the bloke who owned it finding it missing, the kid putting it back and then the gun being found back in its place

Spoiler

No, I think it was a longer period of time, and he checked the shed as there was that prowler reported, from the start of the very first episode.

I thought this was excellent. Plenty of whodunnits lose me when they get convoluted, but the red herrings and world building in this were perfect for me. I tended to find each episode better than the last.

Spoiler

In the last two episodes, I kept willing them to put more twists in, and they did. I actually wanted it to be Lawrie, with the son taking the gun for her to use.

The conclusion was a little bit the Simpsons, a little bit The Undoing (but way better), and surprisingly satisfying.

I think Dylan's behaviour —chasing the friend down with a gun to ensure she did something good— didn't scan at all, and the show in general didn't depict the passage of time incredibly well, but they're small criticisms of an excellent show.

Thanks for the recommends hive mind

Spoiler

End of Episode 2 where Erin's father pulls off that pussy move! What a classless man. American hasn't looked this bleak since the rain scene from the Ice Storm. The dull thud music also adds to it all, I'm gonna drip feed this to make it last. 

10 hours ago, ucci said:

Thanks for the recommends hive mind

Reveal hidden contents

End of Episode 2 where Erin's father pulls off that pussy move! What a classless man. American hasn't looked this bleak since the rain scene from the Ice Storm. The dull thud music also adds to it all, I'm gonna drip feed this to make it last. 

I definitely enjoyed it being weekly, frustrating as it was at the time! Not one for binging imo.

16 hours ago, schmojo said:

I thought this was excellent. Plenty of whodunnits lose me when they get convoluted, but the red herrings and world building in this were perfect for me. I tended to find each episode better than the last.

Hide contents

In the last two episodes, I kept willing them to put more twists in, and they did. I actually wanted it to be Lawrie, with the son taking the gun for her to use.

The conclusion was a little bit the Simpsons, a little bit The Undoing (but way better), and surprisingly satisfying.

I think Dylan's behaviour —chasing the friend down with a gun to ensure she did something good— didn't scan at all, and the show in general didn't depict the passage of time incredibly well, but they're small criticisms of an excellent show.

Haha, I made the...

Spoiler

... Simpsons "Who shot Mr Burns" reference too :D

Reflecting on all of the...

Spoiler

... twists and red herrings it gave us, I can only assume casting Guy Pearce in that role is deliberate? I kept thinking, why is Guy Pearce playing this character?? all the way through. But if that's another purposeful misdirection then kudos to them really! Little bit like the casting of Adam Brody and McLovin in 'Promising Young Woman', using well known actors to play on audience's preconceptions is kinda neat and not something I've come across that much before.

I thought there has to be a thread on this after watching.

Just excellent and now have to figure out how my Mum can watch it 

The only thing I’d have liked a bit more resolution on...

Spoiler

What was Dylan up to 

9 hours ago, emerald fox said:

I thought there has to be a thread on this after watching.

Just excellent and now have to figure out how my Mum can watch it 

The only thing I’d have liked a bit more resolution on...

Assume you meant to spoiler rather than quote 😂

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Fireproofradiator said:

Heya, me and partner just started this. We both get triggered by stuff with babies in cos we have a baby. Could someone (spoiler) say if the baby in this comes to harm?

There is a scene where

Spoiler

the baby almost drowns, which is pretty tense.