It’s the most wonderful time of the year! E3 baby! (Livestreams and schedule details revealed)

18 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Place your bets on the chances of hearing anything new from Bayonetta 3! We should see more on Elden Ring at least! 

Kamiya said we'd see Bayonetta 3 news this year - whether it'll show up at E3 or TGS is anyone's guess, though. 

I think it's way too early for any elder scrolls 6 news. With Fable and Avowed also in development (and likely further along) they won't want to have too many fantasy RPGs bumping into each other even if they will differ thematically and visually.

Starfield has to be nailed on for a big blowout now I hope.

I want more tangible 'look at this amazing new thing a year or less away' and less of these fucking pointless CGI reveals and even worse 'familar music / big logo flash up for game we didn't need any confirmation of it's existence'

I am trying to manage my ridiculous expectations though, e3 used to be the new christmas for me but I've found the last couple of years increasingly more stale.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

There's absolutely nothing stopping them from showing both since the games won't come out anywhere near each other. There's a good possibility they'll want to show off Avowed if it's far enough along (could be, because this is what the main Obsidian team has been working on since Pillars 2) and because it should look sexy as hell being a next-gen only game. They were aiming for 2022 at least according to what I heard, but could be 23 due to covid delays.

On the other hand, ES6 is nowhere near finished since I'm guessing the main focus is Starfield with ES6 still in pre-production. However, Avowed is a new ip while ES is the big daddy megaton headline get. If they want, there's nothing stopping them from showing an extended ES6 teaser to grab the headlines and make people consider and Xbox and/or Game Pass right now because that's where ES6 will eventually be y'all - while at the same time making a big splash with Avowed, a next-gen only fantasy sandbox RPG that's also exclusive and you'll be able to play relatively soon. If you're a ES fan, check this out.* And after E3 time their marketing focus will be on Avowed until after its release.

It's not an EA situation where those complete morons managed to release one of the best shooters ever made right in-between COD and their own fucking COD competitor Battlefield in a period of two, three weeks. That was beyond stupid, they could and should have had the biggest hit of the year in their hands 

*Note that I'm willing to bet the games are only superficially similar. ES is a actiony sandbox adventure now, with extremely lite RPG elements. And Obsidian is Obsidian, Avowed will most likely be a proper RPG with the depth you'd associate with this genre. Closer to something like Morrowind instead of Skyrim - but for an E3 presentation that doesn't matter. You'll want to show the pretty graphics and emphasize that's it's a sandbox RPG, get in!

I think it could easily be a repeat of the Days Gone-Last of Us 2 situation where the games shared enough in terms of setting that people ended up viewing Days Gone as a bit of a stopgap on the road to Last of Us 2. They were very different games but sticking them in the same showcases didn't help the new game. 

I think Sony, Nintendo and now MS all have enough different games in the works that they don't need to show stuff that's more than 18 months away. Knowing that The Initiative are working on Perfect Dark is neat but what was the value in another CG trailer? Let E3 be the showcase for what's coming in the second half of the year with XO and The Game Awards doing the same for the first half of the year. 

13 hours ago, footle said:

They’ll just show deathloop. And a big Game Pass for PC Day One logo.

Deathloop 2 or "definitive edition" announced, to release same day as the PS4 standard version, as I suspect the exclusivity terms are for "Deathloop" Sony not expecting M$ to get them making another version to get round it, like back in the day with Acclaim and Flying Edge with the Nintendo / Sega things... perhaps, probably pie in the Sky thinking though :p

2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I reckon it'll be more footage of what was shown last year that hasn't been released yet and some cgi trailers. Maybe cgi trailers of what got a cgi trailer last time around. 

Very few release dates, even vague ones that are just a year.

Why so negative? If MS don’t pull their finger out and show some actual games that are launching soon, then they need a good kicking. They must know that.

Surely to fuck there’ll be some BotW2 and Bayonetta 3 in the Nintendo show?

Also looking forward to seeing more of Final Fantasy XVI and, again, SURELY TO FUCK something/anything to do with Elden Ring?

If we get all of the above, and SURELY TO FUCK we will, it will be a guaranteed great show. Come on, now. Anything else, and there will be more, will be a bonus.

I’ve got massively high hopes as always for E3. I fucking love it.

9 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why so negative? If MS don’t pull their finger out and show some actual games that are launching soon, then they need a good kicking. They must know that.

I think the Pandemic is still playing a role in development schedules but also what we know is coming didn't seem very far along last year.

If I'm wrong,  it'll be a lovely surprise.

I reckon they'll have Halo, CrossfireX and Stalker shown up and running, maybe all dated to a particular season (Halo to a date) but beyond that,  I'll be surprised.

I still think they'll put a show on with lots of titles to talk about, but I'm not sure many of them will hit the download queue in 2021. 

I expect they'll also show

Hellblade2 in some form (not due soon)

Forza will be shown in some way (I don't follow this, maybe this year?)

Some CGI from Bethesda

Grounded to maybe move out of Preview. Some interactive story stuff in the vein of Life Is Strange,  a raft of Indies, maybe something from Perfect Dark (not coming soon, CGI) and State of Decay 3 (2023 at least). Something with Kojima. Maybe something with From.

Maybe something else they've bought rights to (2024/5)

Unless they've got deals in place to secure exclusivity of something that wasn't on our collective radar (possible) I don't see there being much there that's imminent.

Ea and ubisoft to show the latest versions of the games they put out on rotation.  Ghost Recon, Fifa, etc. 

Battlefield will get shown (there's a rumour about that going to gamepass/ea access, which could be cause for great fanfare)

And I think that might be the show. 

I think the conclusion will remain "wow they've got a lot of developers, when they start putting games out..."

But also, a Halo game is coming out this year. That's great!

I'm really hoping that the rumoured Nintendo MS crossover is real.

Would love to see Gamepass on a Switch Pro, as playing handheld is by far my favourite way to consume games. Would probably make my Xbox SX redundant to some extent, but I can live with that.

Not sure whether this would make business sense for Nintendo. On the one hand I get the impression they sell fuck all big budget third party games on Switch, but the indie sales are big.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:
2 hours ago, JPL said:

I think the Pandemic is still playing a role in development schedules

I wonder why it isn’t affecting Sony’s studios to the same degree? Insomniac are on fire!

4 hours ago, JPL said:

I wonder why it isn’t affecting Sony’s studios to the same degree? Insomniac are on fire!

I think some studios are just hiding behind this whole remote working  is hard thing. 

4 hours ago, JPL said:

Well, to be fair to Microsoft's studios, Halo would have been out already, Gears got some DLC out and they'll probably have Forza out this year too. 

I assume that it's possible that Sony got people working on software earlier, that since Spiderman is a dlc and because R&C only targets one piece of hardware and that hardware was finalised before Xbox finalised theirs that they're not really doing so much better.

2 hours ago, Blunted said:

Metroid of some description or we riot. For real this time.

Metroid V has been strongly rumoured for a while now. 

21 hours ago, layten said:

Microsoft will show off ES6 and Starfield, the internet will lose its shit and claim them the winners of 'E3'. Up until Nintendo drop MP4, BotW2 and new F-Zero Smash characters.

Fixed.

Expecting Horizon 2 to look stunning. God of War 2 to also look amazing. We'll probably see the MGS remaster. It will also look amazing.  Uncharted remake also.  It'll look amazing.

MS will show lots of games but all the big hitters will weirdly just not connect massively with enough people on here and will be declared as having wasted their studio talents.

GamePass will just become even better value somehow. Fully streaming, now with Sega's back catalogue too.

54 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I think some studios are just hiding behind this whole remote working  is hard thing. 

I think that’s unfair.

If you’re making new IP there’s a lot more creative questions that being together in-person can get you answers to much quicker. Established IP have a lot of these fundamental questions answered already and they can just get on with it. 

10 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I would think they would be ready with that bare-bones Metroid Prime trilogy emulation port by now.

Even as a bare-bones emulated ISO dump, that trilogy is just far too much gold to be dishing out to people prior to a Metroid Prime 4 release.

Unless of course they're absolutely certain that MP4 is going to be leagues ahead of its predecessors.

On 30/04/2021 at 19:25, Sarlaccfood said:

or are we gonna get some big new-gen flex?

Its going to be an embarrassment. Big companies are going to showcase 60fps and details on high together with sexualised booth babes and declare it next gen. They are going to hire actors who are in their 30's pretending to be gamers in their late teens holding controllers while pretending to be playing games when its actually prerecorded footage. They are going to show trailers with in game footage that has been heavily edited, and when the game launches people are going to be confused and angry because it doesn't look like anything they saw at E3. They lied, this is an outrage!!

E3 is all bells and whistles, and I love it in an ironic way. It is like if Eurovision took itself seriously. 

peter-moore-tattoo.jpg.47af4b16a7ae5f5e15a0a9b364c9dc53.jpg

takishigh.png.ac441e184bcf2d65a8819e950579523a.png

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to It’s the most wonderful time of the year! E3 baby! (Livestreams and schedule details revealed)