The evolution of shooters

4 minutes ago, memories said:

Perfect thanks.

What was I doing wrong?

You need to use the youtube shortlink instead on the video address, this is usually under the share button.

it was a good watch, but yeah, Mirror's Edge isn't a shooter. The only time you pick up a gun is if you've failed to maintain the flow of running ... and iirc, the guns only held about five bullets each.

Something that Doom/Doom Eternal made me realise is that I really miss simplicty in guns. I just need one machine gun, one pistol, one rocket launcher...etc. You can stick having 10,000 different assault rifles with minute statistical differences you have to squint at bar charts to figure out.

Was the one before half life 2 original CoD, band of brothers or medal of honour? I really recognised it but couldn't quite place it. 

Was a good little video though, pity no heretic or hexen but I suppose there was a whole load around that time that were basically just reskins and the video could have been hours long :)

28 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Was the one before half life 2 original CoD, band of brothers or medal of honour? I really recognised it but couldn't quite place it. 

MoH: Allied Assault.

Umm... am I right in thinking Halo wasn't there? They did miss out quite a lot although nice editing throughout. Would have like to see FEAR and System Shock/Bioshock/Deus Ex too.

I finally read Masters of Doom recently. Great read and made me aware of the Catacomb games - which really look like Wolfenstein prototypes.

9 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

MoH: Allied Assault.

I knew it was one of them, cheers.

I seem to remember all the magazines etc calling it MOHAA which is a weird thing to have stuck in the brain. 

1 hour ago, Chopsocky said:

Umm... am I right in thinking Halo wasn't there? They did miss out quite a lot although nice editing throughout. Would have like to see FEAR and System Shock/Bioshock/Deus Ex too.

I finally read Masters of Doom recently. Great read and made me aware of the Catacomb games - which really look like Wolfenstein prototypes.

Yeah, no Halo, which is weird seeing as it’s the best shooter ever made.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Something that Doom/Doom Eternal made me realise is that I really miss simplicty in guns. I just need one machine gun, one pistol, one rocket launcher...etc. You can stick having 10,000 different assault rifles with minute statistical differences you have to squint at bar charts to figure out.

Just an aside, but this is why Left 4 Dead is better than Left 4 Dead 2.

1 hour ago, Chopsocky said:

And don't forget Hovertank which has great sound FX when you rescue the people in it.

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The video makes no claim to being definitive, exhaustive, or representative. That's all on the OP.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Lovely little video. Nice seeing Medal of Honour AA again, havn't seen it in years.

As has been mentioned, the editing in that video is exceptional.

Really nice video - superbly well made. Was expecting to see No One Lives Forever come up after Medal Of Honor - there's a very similar sniper section in that IIRC. I think I got all but the very last one, which was a bit of a pisser. I'm guessing a late COD, perhaps...

10 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Really nice video - superbly well made. Was expecting to see No One Lives Forever come up after Medal Of Honor - there's a very similar sniper section in that IIRC. I think I got all but the very last one, which was a bit of a pisser. I'm guessing a late COD, perhaps...

Yep, that and the Medal of Honor game might be the two I’ve not played. Though if they’d gone much more recent there’s huge chunks I won’t have touched,

2 minutes ago, footle said:

Yep, that and the Medal of Honor game might be the two I’ve not played. Though if they’d gone much more recent there’s huge chunks I won’t have touched,

I'm exactly the same. Played most of them back in the day, but have barely touched them in recent years. I did recently play through Titanfall 2 though, which was a belter, and made me think about maybe trying a couple more. Thinking about it - I've probably got some available on Game Pass - will take a shufty...

Wow the complaining posts for something that was clearly a really nice, creative labour of love. 

Mirror's edge was chosen because the perspective is the same and it was one of the first first person games that wasn't, like, 80% brown. 

I thought it was obvious why it was in there. 

Does anyone remember the similar compilation video that was made around 2012 for 2D platform games? It was called "Go Right" and consisted of numerous platformers' sprite animations for running to the right, zoomed in to fill most of the screen height, and smoothly edited together into a sequence. 

Here are a couple of pages about it from the time:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4x484g/igo-righti-celebrates-the-joy-of-platform-based-games

https://www.hypable.com/go-right-pays-tribute-to-the-platformer/

Unfortunately, the original YouTube upload was set to private at some point, and I thought the video might have been lost to time. But I've tracked down a copy! The Vice article said that this Michael Nyman track was used for the video's appropriately majestic music...

Lots of the comments on the different YouTube copies of that track are people referencing "Go Right". And in the one above, someone said that they'd uploaded the original video to archive.org!

https://archive.org/details/GoRight

I recommend watching it, it's as great as I remember it. :wub: