IGNORED

The "Help Me Identify That Game" Thread

Tomdominer

What a cool thread, could it be that I could learn the name of a game that I played 40 years ago?  Hope so, so let's try

Platform: Commodore Pet

Genre: A sort of Ultima style adventure game

Graphical Style: Used redefined characters (I think) to represent the character, dungeons, forests etc

There's one really distinct thing I remember about this game, it used a real time combat system.  So if you were fighting a monster it would say something like "strike now" and you'd have to quickly press a button or it would say "too slow" or something like that.  Almost like the very first quicktime event.  The Pet was the first computer I ever used, it was "the computer" in my school until the BBC Micro came out and then the Pet was never touched again.  I've looked before in Pet software, but not knowing the name of the game, I've never been successful in finding out what it was.  It might be fun to play it again in emulation.

8 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

What a cool thread, could it be that I could learn the name of a game that I played 40 years ago?  Hope so, so let's try

Graphical Style: Used redefined characters (I think) to represent the character, dungeons, forests etc

There's one really distinct thing I remember about this game, it used a real time combat system.  So if you were fighting a monster it would say something like "strike now" and you'd have to quickly press a button or it would say "too slow" or something like that.  Almost like the very first quicktime event.  The Pet was the first computer I ever used, it was "the computer" in my school until the BBC Micro came out and then the Pet was never touched again.  I've looked before in Pet software, but not knowing the name of the game, I've never been successful in finding out what it was.  It might be fun to play it again in emulation.

Telengard had kill prompts

53 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Telengard had kill prompts

Good shout @SeanR but that's not it.  I do remember the overworld map being sort of more static and the character moving around it (rather than attempting to scroll) and the real detail is that when in a fight having to hit a button before a timer ran out... it wasn't a few second either, it was pretty quick.  I thought the layout meant it might have been Temple of Apshai, but that doesn't have the realtime battles either.

Platform: Arcade

Genre: Platformer

Graphical Style: Very Mario-style, possibly a ROM hack of VS Super Mario Bros on Play Choice type hardware? More like Super Mario Land in terms of background (pixel art palm trees) and I vaguely remember a predominately yellow and green colour scheme.

Era: Spotted in the early ‘90s, likely an older game than that.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Graphical Style: Very Mario-style, possibly a ROM hack of VS Super Mario Bros on Play Choice type hardware? More like Super Mario Land in terms of background (pixel art palm trees) and I vaguely remember a predominately yellow and green colour scheme.

Monster Lair?

I've found out what this is now, but here's one that I'd been meaning to ask about for a while, because I thought that the only clue I misremembered was too vague to be indexed online:

• A PS1 side-scrolling shmup that probably had a PAL release, with a voice clip that said something like "Release Mega Bomb for ultimate destruction!"

I say "probably" had a PAL release, because I played it on a friend's chipped PS1, but AFAIK he just used it for piracy, not for import games, and he wasn't particularly into shmups. For a long time I thought it might be R-Type Delta (as one of the most popular PS1 shmups), but I couldn't hear that voice in any of the clips I watched.

BUT... I've just done another search, and whaddaya know, I've found out what it was: Team 17's X2!

The voice sample I remembered is spoken at 2:04, but I got it wrong: it's "Release Mega Bomb for destruction of objects in immediate vicinity!"

Here's a forum post I found from someone who misremembered the same clip!

https://grcade.co.uk/t:what-soundbites-do-you-remember-from-games-in-the-past

X2
"Release megabomb to..." ...I forget the rest

Sketch who?   :)  Your secret is safe, hardly anyone reads RLLMUK

Actually there is a player and map creator on Unreal Tournament 99 (yes people still play this) called Sketchpad and I did wonder if you were one and the same

On 22/06/2021 at 21:06, Sketch said:

Thank you... but you know who I am?! This means my forum anonymity has been compromised! :ph34r:

I thought most people knew who you were, to be fair - didn't you used to comment on RG articles you had written?

This thread is turning into "Help me identify that forum user!"

4 hours ago, Gabe said:

I thought most people knew who you were, to be fair - didn't you used to comment on RG articles you had written?

How very gauche. What sort of barbarian comments on their own work in public. (You're probably right.)

Anyway, Gabe, when are we going to get a proper Half Life 3 and will it expand the weapon roster to the levels of HL1? I found HL2 to be a bit of a weaponry downgrade, so to speak.

13 hours ago, Welrain said:

@Sketch Otaku84?

You remember me from NTSC-uk? I remember you Welrain. It was around 2004 or 2005, and I'd written a couple reviews for the site. At some point you and I were having an argument on the forum. I honestly can't remember the specifics of the argument. You insulted me, or said something rude, which I took immense umbrage at, and it culminated with me swearing at you strongly. I can't recall if I told you to fuck off, or go fuck yourself; I've said that to a lot of people over the years; it might have been something else. The site admin in the private writers forum told me it was not appropriate for writers to swear at the readership and said I must apologise - I think I then told them to go fuck themselves, because I refuse to bow to anyone who insults me, ever, and I would rather quit being a writer there.

It was a long time ago, over 15 years in fact, and I was young - but I'm happy to say that despite all that time I would still rather nuke bridges from orbit than ever give someone else the satisfaction of my apologising, especially after they had deliberately gone out of their way to offend me. In a pyrrhic victory I can at least still respect myself and live with my actions; there is only shame and self-loathing in capitulation.

On 22/06/2021 at 00:47, CurryKitten said:

Just throwing out a few other potentials (in case it's a situation of misremembering something):

Dungeon of Death:

One of the Dunjonquest games:

Dungeon:

Nightmare Park:

I've got one.

It was a mid to late 80s arcade beat-em-up on a single plane like Vigilante or Kung Fu Master but set in defined arenas that would only scroll so far in each direction. You had to take out a set amount of bad guys before a timer ran out and you could jump up to higher platforms. There was a power up that let you punch really, really fast.

The first level was in a back alley or street and it was taller than it was wide (it might not have scrolled horizontally at all, just vertically...?) and I think the enemies came in on motorbikes. The second level is hazy to me, I maybe only saw it once, but I vaguely remember it being set in front of some trucks and the arena scrolled further horizontally than vertically (the sequence of the levels sounds a little bit like Dragon Ninja, but it definitely wasn't that game on account of it being set in closed arenas, not continuously scrolling levels).

Anyone?

On 28/06/2021 at 19:52, Sureshot said:

Just throwing out a few other potentials (in case it's a situation of misremembering something):

Thanks - they have certain elements of what I remember, but nothing seems to have that realtime press-the-button-quickly-to-hit thing.  I will keep searching!

On 28/06/2021 at 22:24, Sureshot said:

The only thing that comes to mind right now (and doesn't fully fit the description above) is Renegade. The 'vertical 1st level' is really throwing me off!

It did have the same stage structure as Renegade - all the enemies enter the arena at the start of the stage and a boss who turns up at the end (? I think... I don't specifically remember the bosses).

Just now, ilpostino said:

Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja, @matt0? First level in back streets, second level on trucks...

Imagine a cross between Dragon Ninja (single plane movement, platforms) and Renegade (Arenas instead of continuously scrolling levels). I think it's probably pretty obscure, I only ever saw it in once place (Horwich Leisure Centre) but I played it a few times so I'm sure I'd recognise it if I saw it again.

26 minutes ago, Sureshot said:

Knuckle Joe? Seems to tick a few boxes (area-based, bikes, speed punch, trucks on level 2):

Yes! That's the one, thank you. I had the name "Arm Joe" in my head all day, which is something entirely different, from a different era (and much weirder!), so I must have dimly remembered at least the "Joe" part of the name.

Watching the video the first level doesn't have any real verticality at all, in my minds eye it was two screens high and scrolled upwards, but no. I remember the feel of those single frame punch "animations". I thought it was probably from one of the smaller companies so Seibu Kaihatsu fits perfectly, although googling turns up the fact it was distributed in some markets by Taito.

On 22/06/2021 at 13:08, Protocol Penguin said:

So we're talking 8-bit graphics? Are you sure it wasn't Adventure Island or something (which was on PlayChoice)? Might need some more details for this one! Any idea what the character looked like, how you moved, attacked, enemies, power ups, scoring, were there bosses etc.

1 hour ago, luth714 said:

Is Knuckle Joe some retitled Fist of the North Star type thing? 

13 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Yes. 

I don't think it is. There's no mention of variant names on Moby Games and googling for Fist of the North Star games doesn't bring it up.

It's an obvious homage though.

Here's a really vague one: I've got a sound effect in my head, a sort of slow-motion-rattlesnake warning sound, a sort of "wickyawickyawickyawicky" - I seem to think it's from a baddie that acts like a proximity mine, like it makes that noise when you get close, but I can't remember if it explodes or otherwise attacks. I think it's a 3D game, not sure though. It's not the Trappers from Eternal Darkness, though, that much I'm sure about. It's probably really obvious, but it hit me from left field so I can't place it for the life of me.

7 hours ago, Johnson Geoffrey Johnson said:

Here's a really vague one: I've got a sound effect in my head, a sort of slow-motion-rattlesnake warning sound, a sort of "wickyawickyawickyawicky" - I seem to think it's from a baddie that acts like a proximity mine, like it makes that noise when you get close, but I can't remember if it explodes or otherwise attacks. I think it's a 3D game, not sure though. It's not the Trappers from Eternal Darkness, though, that much I'm sure about. It's probably really obvious, but it hit me from left field so I can't place it for the life of me.

The invisible mines in Psi-Ops?

From 1.40: