Battlefield 2042

Harsin

I still play battlefield V regularly and is my go to fps these days and still enjoy it, as with all BF games it had a rocky start but it's much more polished now and plays quite well. That said, i'm not sure they have entirely learnt their lessons as they should have, suggestions that batle royale should have been more important than single player for example.

Battlefield is loads of people shooting at one another with brilliant vehicles thrown in, battlefield players typically don't want a battle royale, they want a war with lots of action and combat and explosions and that, it was a money grab that hurt their existing fanbase rather than helped bring additional numbers in.

Admittedly V wasn't as good as previous games but it has found it's place somewhat.

Regarding the new game, it's going to be similar to fifa in relation to the switch I suspect. Whatever they title it, there will be an old gen / new gen versions with the new gen to feature dynamic weather, bigger lobbies (more players in a match), better destruction etc. Old gen consoles it will be similar to the current iteration of games but with new maps, guns etc. The downside to this is it's unlikely to feature cross gen and i'm anticipating cross play only with xbox / pc as I believe Sony charge a fee for this don't they? And can't see EA wanting to pay it, not sure there's enough benefit for them.

4 Studios suggests 4 seperate things they are working on, so my guess is old gen game, next gen game, battle royale old & new maybe?

1 hour ago, Ry said:

I think it's been leaked that it's near future. 

Oh dear God, please NO!
I was hoping for Korean War or Vietnam or even an alternate history (what if WWII had gone on for many more years?). Modern guns, vehicles, planes is just so mainstream blah blah blah.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

It’ll be a generic multiplayer FPS. Another one. 

Yeah, because there's a metric shit tonne of military multiplayer FPSs around at the moment.

Also do you like multiplayer FPSs? Are you lamenting there's not much variety? Is another one a problem?

Yeah I'm drowning in all the modern set FPS coming out for the new consoles as well. You've got a port of R6: Seige, how many of these things do you need? 

You guy's are being sarcastic right?

That said I do like @SpookyMulder's suggestions, environments that haven't really been done before but I think the whole point of this is trying to go back to where battlefield was at it's best rather than experimenting further and potentially further damaging the IP.

My wet dream is still Battlefield 4 having a child with Planetside 2. Imagine Planetside 2 on its best day in a modern Battlefield setting with destruction. 

What we will get is a Battle Royale I couldn't care less about and standard 20 year old conquest but with 128 players.

I would not bet a single EUR against DICE not fucking this up. Again. 

30 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

And Call of Duty. And..er... Warface? Is that an FPS or a third person shooter?

And, y'know, if you've played one you've played them all.

COD is set in the eighties isn’t it? Warface is near future. 

26 minutes ago, Luseth said:

You guy's are being sarcastic right?

Are there tonnes of modern military FPS games with triple A budgets from the last few years that I’ve not heard of?

EA best make sure their quality assurance is up to scratch this time around.

Every Battlefield (with the possible exception of 1) was a complete dog's dinner at release. I'm not sure the larger public will grin and bear having a useless download and back-patting scrolling message about how the game was even more successful than they expected and they're working on server capacity this go round, I think they'll just bugger off back to Fortnite and Warzone in the face of negative headlines.

I really wouldn't lean on Cold War's period setting to exclude it. The period is a thin dusting of flavour at best. Your supposed 80's soldier man has more high-tech kit than Skynet at this disposal.

Modern Warfare (2019) and Siege are the most obvious. I'd like another. 

Battlefield hasn't been on a downward spiral since Bad Company 2. I doubt they can turn it around. I enjoyed Battlefield 1 for a while until they ruined it by trying to pander to esports twats and youtubers. BF doesn't need to be balanced, it needs to be fun! 

49 minutes ago, Harsin said:

EA best make sure their quality assurance is up to scratch this time around.

Every Battlefield (with the possible exception of 1) was a complete dog's dinner at release. I'm not sure the larger public will grin and bear having a useless download and back-patting scrolling message about how the game was even more successful than they expected and they're working on server capacity this go round, I think they'll just bugger off back to Fortnite and Warzone in the face of negative headlines.

Given that the new season of Apex shit itself last week and they were all “crazy it’s so popular guys!” I think that’s just their launch day strategy.

47 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I really wouldn't lean on Cold War's period setting to exclude it. The period is a thin dusting of flavour at best. Your supposed 80's soldier man has more high-tech kit than Skynet at this disposal.

Fair, I haven’t played a COD game for years. 

I'd rather have something set in the late 90s with no fucking drones, heartbeat sensors or people running around with a Ready Brek halo around them. Not much to ask is it?

On 12/05/2021 at 07:59, Rayn said:

A true next gen title that's also available on last gen....riiiight. 

And current gen.

On 12/05/2021 at 15:10, moosegrinder said:

Yeah, because there's a metric shit tonne of military multiplayer FPSs around at the moment.

Also do you like multiplayer FPSs? Are you lamenting there's not much variety? Is another one a problem?

I’ve got no problem with there being millions of them if people enjoy them and want them. Far be it for me to to prevent that. Maybe there haven’t been any for a while, but it’s not like there haven’t been loads over the years. I get that it’ll be nice to have a new one if you enjoy them, but you know what it’s going to be, surely. 

I'll buy it if they bring helicopters back in.  It was glorious being in a chopper with a good pilot or even getting ok agt it yourself and terrorising the enemy.

Battlefield 4 was the absolute shit and I loved it. 1 and V did not tickle that itch quite well enough (though both had fantastic elements).

We've had, what, 4 years of historic Battlefield now? 

I'm not at all worried about cross gen either. BF4 was the same, didn't hurt that. 

On 12/05/2021 at 10:08, Mr Tony said:

Still possible if the last gen versions are built on the BF5 engine. Remember the BF4 launch (apart from the brokem, buggy mess), the previous gen versions were a HUGE step down.

The Xbox one version was a huge step down too!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

The Xbox one version was a huge step down too!

Other than being 720p vs 900p on PS4, it was the same game. Same features, similar graphics, same player counts etc. 

It was nothing like the drop to the old gen version.

3 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Other than being 720p vs 900p on PS4, it was the same game. Same features, similar graphics, same player counts etc. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he means Vs the PC version. Unless he's on about from BF3 to BF4.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he means Vs the PC version. Unless he's on about from BF3 to BF4.

well of course it was a step down from the PC version, but every console version always was.

21 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I had (have) both versions and the xbone version looks like garbage, it really was a terrible port - even the series x version is coming inducing as I assume there is no one x boost?

Spured by this thread I looked for some BF4 game play on YouTube and jakfrags played it a couple of weeks ago, it’s still brilliant and way better than 1/5 so let’s hope 6 goes back to that style.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I had (have) both versions and the xbone version looks like garbage, it really was a terrible port - even the series x version is coming inducing as I assume there is no one x boost?

Spured by this thread I looked for some BF4 game play on YouTube and jakfrags played it a couple of weeks ago, it’s still brilliant and way better than 1/5 so let’s hope 6 goes back to that style.

it was pretty much down to the resolution being terrible. EA never gave it a one x patch like they did the PS4 version, so now the PS4 version is 1080p with 60fps.

XB version never got a resolution bump so it’s still stuck at 720p. At least it runs at 120fps now due to frame rate boost on series x

Just give us Bad Company 3.  The destruction hasn't been as fun since BC2.  From BF3 onwards there's been no complete destructions of maps a la White Pass, there's been no fun of bringing the building down to destroy the MCOM's in Rush, etc.

I also really miss the rush for vehicles at the start rather than just starting in them, and discovering some bastard has C4'd your helicopter.

It's been diminishing returns for me, 1000s hours on BC2, 100s of hours on BF3, 10s of hours on BF4 barely 20hrs on BF1.

On 12/05/2021 at 11:48, Simmy said:

Battlefield 2 with the mod scene was the absolute pinnacle of battlefield.

Desert combat, project reality - we really were spoiled back then.

I've got REALLY fond memories of Battlefield 3 on the 360 despite how watered down it was. It also has what I consider the most effective trailer I can remember that demonstrated EXACTLY how next-gen the game was. Spectacular, and the game delivered on what the trailer promised.

this was the fucking best, took me so long to learn how to properly fly the choppers using keyboard and mouse, but it was so rewarding flying your squad in and out. There was an amazing island map.

Its a real shame they dumbed down all the vehicles in the battlefield games, but I really enjoyed the dogfighting in 5, especially with @geldra on the flak cannons covering me and destroying the tail hungry prey I would bring to him.

Just want 6 to be the sequel to 4.