Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate

Dragon Quest fans - here we are again!

There is a 35th anniversary event scheduled for May 27th that will be live streamed at the following link. The event will also include English live translation!

A lot has happened for Dragon Quest in the last 6 years so let's ask the obvious questions and see who is closest!

- What platforms will it appear on?

- Will it still be turn-based?

- Will the game be released in the West?

Hype! 

Shout out to @Stanleyfor the least accurate predictions last time :D

I'm going for a PS3/PS4 release too. Can't imagine they'll go for 3DS as it's too small a platform, Wii U is untouchable.

Would prefer it to be PS4 only, or PS4/Xbox One/PC but I can't imagine that happening. Dragon Quest is a bit low budget for that these days.

It'll be aimed at Switch with an upscaled PS4/5 version. That's pretty much guaranteed at this point given how well the Switch is doing compared to everything else in Japan. 

59 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Shout out to @Stanleyfor the least accurate predictions last time :D

:lol: I was pretty much wrong on all counts, it did get a 3DS release and is on every platform bar PS3. It did come out of PS4 though :blush:

1 minute ago, gossi the dog said:

It’ll be either a new Dragon Quest Heroes or Dragon Quest Builders; and another re-release of the first three games. No Dragon Quest XII.

I should probably steer clear of predictions, but yeah it states “line up” so from that alone we can expect more than one game and there are a lot of different games in the DQ stable now, Heroes seems like the obvious one, and perhaps a re-release for DQX, then there’s that mobile game recently announced, The Adventures of Dai, so it will probably be everything but an actual DQXII announcement. 

It'll be a bunch of Dragon Quest game announcements, and it'll finish with DQXII - it's how they always structure these events. Also look at that logo - 12 Yggdrasil Leaves - it's totally happening.

I think it's obvious that Switch is going to be the lead platform, which is a bit of a shame as DQXI definitive edition was a step down from the PS4 version. I think it's going to be day one on everything: Switch/Pro/PS4/PS5/XboxOne/XboxSeries/PC.

I even think they might try for a simultaneous worldwide release this time.

I could actually see SE doing a deal with Nintendo and the next DQ being an exclusive - at least for the first year. IX on the DS is still the biggest DQ success outside of Japan and it was thanks to the huge marketing push Nintendo put behind it. If Nintendo promised to put the same effort into XII, I could see SE going for it. 

It’s not XII, Horii said on Twitter that it’s still a long way out. The lineup panel discussion will be about other games, most of which won’t be released in the West. The only things we’re likely to see are if there’s another Heroes or Builders game. 

My bets would be:

Dragon Quest Dai (mobile, Japan only)

Dragon Quest X for PS5 (Japan only)

Switch ports of the VII and VIII remakes (probably Japan only on a cart in a special edition packaging, but maybe with the possibility of a western release)

A new DQ mobile gatcha game (Japan only)

Finish with a big game, Heroes or Builders 3 or maybe a remake of IX (Switch exclusive at launch with a PS5 port later, released worldwide eventually but not for at least a year).

32 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I could actually see SE doing a deal with Nintendo and the next DQ being an exclusive - at least for the first year. IX on the DS is still the biggest DQ success outside of Japan and it was thanks to the huge marketing push Nintendo put behind it. If Nintendo promised to put the same effort into XII, I could see SE going for it. 

They could even bring back Jedward to do the TV advert.

As for predictions about XII, it will be a Switch game (with a port to PS5 later), will be turn based and will get translated into English, probably two to three years after Japanese release. 

7 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I think it's obvious that Switch is going to be the lead platform, which is a bit of a shame as DQXI definitive edition was a step down from the PS4 version. I think it's going to be day one on everything: Switch/Pro/PS4/PS5/XboxOne/XboxSeries/PC.

What did Stadia ever do to you? :(

1 hour ago, suzzopher said:

I hope they release IV, V and VI on Switch.

I’d imagine Dragon Quest XII will be announced for all platforms, can’t see them skipping Xbox these days.

I’d also really like to see them on Switch, I’ve got the DS versions but they’re ridiculously expensive now and it would be nice if more people could play them.

As someone said, IX was by far the most successful outside of Japan so I do think it’s possible they’d end up Nintendo exclusive again for a game or two. Even if they don’t, Switch as lead platform makes sense with its success in Japan. 

I can't see it being (much of) XII as these games typically have long gaps between them. We might get a logo or a "we're working on it, guys"-style message. 

I'm hoping it'll be IV, V and VI on the Switch. I recently bought the first three and the third especially was a really good old-school handheld RPG. I don't fancy the next three on my mobile, and the DS games are notoriously expensive. I've had a friend lend me them for the DS, but I think the mobile versions are much smoother and at a higher resolution, so getting them ported over to the Switch would be nice.

I can't see X ever coming to the West. They didn't translate it when it was just Version 1, and it's on Version 5 now. I don't think it would have much traction beyond die hard fans too, especially given that it's a fairly traditional MMO. 

Speaking of the latest work in the series, many people would expect the announcement of "Dragon Quest 12".  On January 1, 2020, Yuji Horii's Twitter tweeted, "12 seems to be a little ahead, but there may be something that can be released before that."  What kind of new work will be announced in the 35th anniversary special program?

Via Famitsu through Google translate. 

I thought Horii’s tweet was more recent than that, so I guess it is possible that they’ll have a title for XII, but I wouldn’t expect any more. Interesting that he also hints at another game, which I don’t think we’ve seen yet?

On 13/05/2021 at 16:35, Broker said:

It’s not XII, Horii said on Twitter that it’s still a long way out. The lineup panel discussion will be about other games, most of which won’t be released in the West. The only things we’re likely to see are if there’s another Heroes or Builders game. 

My bets would be:

Dragon Quest Dai (mobile, Japan only)

Dragon Quest X for PS5 (Japan only)

Switch ports of the VII and VIII remakes (probably Japan only on a cart in a special edition packaging, but maybe with the possibility of a western release)

A new DQ mobile gatcha game (Japan only)

Finish with a big game, Heroes or Builders 3 or maybe a remake of IX (Switch exclusive at launch with a PS5 port later, released worldwide eventually but not for at least a year).

Dai is definitely being released outside Japan, it’s in Beta testing now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • MW_Jimmy changed the title to Dragon Quest XII (Hori will talk about it 27th May Livestream 4am)
  • MW_Jimmy changed the title to Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate

Announced with a logo, changes promised to the battle system, simultaneous worldwide release, and no platforms specified.

E2XcHqYUcAQC53_?format=jpg&name=large

Also announced:

Dragon Quest Erasers (Mobile Puzzle Game)

Dragon Quest X Version 6 (Japan only)

Dragon Quest X Offline (Super deformed look - maybe worldwide? Didn't specify):

Dragon Quest Treasures (Erik and Mia spinoff)

Dragon Quest III HD-2D (Octopath Traveller team):

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That DQ3 remake is GORGEOUS. Please please please let them do FF6 or Chrono Trigger like that next. 

Considering the graphical connection between DQ and CT that seems a distinct possibility now. The idea of Nishiki and Mitsuda working together on the soundtrack is already giving me goosebumps. 

7 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Considering the graphical connection between DQ and CT that seems a distinct possibility now. The idea of Nishiki and Mitsuda working together on the soundtrack is already giving me goosebumps. 

Don't tell Squeenix but I would buy that at a high price! :wub:

Didn't even consider the Toriyama Connection*, but you're completely right. Man. That would be something.

*If I had to form a Japanese gangster rap formation, I'd call it Toriyama Connection