IGNORED

The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

KartoffelKopf

53 minutes ago, Simmy said:

I'm really enjoying this!!

Question though - is there a way to set a custom waypoint? Like to the armour shop or something?

Don't think so. The map is pretty bad, really. I don't know why it can't show side-quests and the main mission at the same time either, or why you can't have more than one quest marker active at a time.

I’m really starting to dig this. It’s never going to win any prizes for sophistication, but it’s pretty good fun. The shooting is a bit scrappy, but I quite like the way you have to use cover and think about positioning (although it feels like they could have done a lot more with the mechanics). And it looks stunning, like a Citadel Miniatures diorama that goes on forever. 

The UI is absurdly bad, though. At least Flight Simulator has the excuse of being extremely complicated, as opposed this this, which somehow manages to make a twin stick shooter hard to understand. 

Yeah the Dominator’s awesome and having a 100-round clip means it’ll chew through a wave of enemies without having to reload. That and the Eraser energy shotgun have seen me through a good chunk of the game. As long as you keep them upgraded then they seem to slice through everything pretty comfortably.

Neutron Beam is ridiculously OP in the augs slot too. It absolutely annihilated a boss I faced in about 3 seconds.

At the moment i'm using the EBR Enforcer burst rifle (with homing shots!) and the Beseiger which is essentially the same as the RPG 23  but has a larger mag (30 rockets :))

Earlier on was using the dominator and the RPG 23 and before that was using the Hab Defender SMG.  Wish there were more weapon upgrade points available so I could upgrade and experiment a bit more.

Need to experiment a bit more with the tacticals and augs though as I don't really use them much, quite like the spider bots one though

Getting annoyed with some of the seeming bugs in this, had a couple of side quests where it just leads me to nowhere or where the next step wont pop when you get into the area.  A restart doesn't seem to fix it either. At least it doesn't crash as much as a lot of unreal engine games though :lol:

Agree that the UI could be a lot better!

I’m certainly annoyed at the lack of RT and DLSS at launch on PC Game Pass, but I’d swap it all for proper ultrawide support, rather than this zoom and crop bullshit we have at the moment.

Having to play in a window with all my desktop shite both sides is very immersion breaking. Pretty fucking terrible from any dev in this day and age.

The sidequest markers and level recommendations are completely fucked. In almost every case if it’s leading you to a seemingly random non-interactable location it’s because you have to progress further in the story until you can actually access the real area you need to get to for the side-quest. It’s happened about 3 or 4 times to me now and it’s quite infuriating but they do all open up eventually, so my advice is to just plug on with the story and worry about those sidequests later. They’re worth doing though as you get some nice augmentations out of a few of them.

The side quests are quite annoying. I did one before where the recommended level was 5; I was level 9, and even then kept getting one-shotted by enemies with a skull next to their health bar. I eventually managed to get through to the item I was supposed to retrieve, only to discover that I needed a more powerful cyberdeck to get into the room where it was stored, so couldn’t complete it. 

1 hour ago, K said:

The side quests are quite annoying. I did one before where the recommended level was 5; I was level 9, and even then kept getting one-shorted by enemies with a skull next to their health bar. I eventually managed to get through to the item I was supposed to retrieve, only to discover that I needed a more powerful cyberdeck to get into the room where it was stored, so couldn’t complete it. 

They're a mess, all over the place. Some of the lowest level ones are locked behind mid-late game progress.

Most of them are dull as well. You spend longer getting to the place and back than actually doing anything, and usually just have to shoot a few things.

I've had a complete about-face on this now, glad I stuck with it. Really enjoying it for what it is and not what I wanted it to be.

I'm even getting a hang of the aiming. I think it was @footle earlier in the thread who mentioned that the first gun was a huge mistake, and I'd agree. Once you get a machine gun and shotgun, it really becomes much more fun.

The world is also gorgeous in some parts. Sure, there is some repetition, but when it comes to the overall package it's stunning.

Yeah I really like this. It feels quite fresh to me as the only twin-stick shooters I've played are a bit of Smash TV back in the day and the Geometry Wars games. I've never been into stuff like Diablo, but this cyberpunk setting appeals to me much more than dungeons and magic. It's been mentioned before but it feels like a souped-up version of an early 90s computer game that I never played because I didn't have a PC or Amiga back then.

I'm enjoying the core gameplay of finding a good bit of cover, shooting over it to whittle down incoming enemies and then backing off and regrouping if I get overrun. Basically The Division with an isometric viewpoint.

The UI really does have some bizarre choices though. Non-undoable things like assigning skill points are actioned via a single button press, whereas basic repetitive actions like closing overlays require a lengthy button hold. They've got it the wrong way round.

I persevered through to completion of this over the weekend. I stayed for the fantastic visuals and soundtrack. Some of the core gameplay was pretty good but it got repetitive. I personally encountered many difficulty spikes. Probably down to me not understanding the upgrade mechanics of the character and weapons. I didn't even know I could upgrade weapons until I was coming up to about two thirds through the game. This caused me to die many times on several boss encounters and area defence tasks. I even got the achievement for dying many times and it's a big number of deaths for that one. The final challenge was an absolute pain which also resulted in many deaths, at one point I was going to drop it all, but I'm a stubborn chap and I spent about 2/3 hours getting through it.  

I ended up with about 700 achievement points in the end, but I'm unlikely to attempt to pick up the rest.

To summarise.

The Good.

Fantastic setting and visuals.

Excellent soundtrack.

Rich world with loads going on, maybe more visually than actual interactions.

The Average.

Core gameplay was fun but got a bit repetitive by the end.

The Bad.

Difficulty spikes. (For me, but I'm probably just crap.)

Dodgy pop in of textures when using the lifts and the quick travel methods.

Too much trekking around with a slow character run speed. 

Horrible map, it barely helped at all.

Bad UI with small text and unintuitive/inconsistent controls. (The amount of times I wanted to scroll the map and swapped tabs was stupid. It never sunk into my brain to not press the left stick).

The Ugly.

Many bugs.

Several crashes.

Weird sound issues when in upgrade shops. (I'm not sure if that's by design but it sounded like spaceships/hovercars flying around when I was browsing items.)

Slow loading.

Inconsistent saving. Sometimes checkpoints would set me back way too far after death. 

A couple of times it completely killed off the Xbox guide.

I'm still hoping for a sequel. :P

13 minutes ago, Onze said:

Weird sound issues when in upgrade shops. (I'm not sure if that's by design but it sounded like spaceships/hovercars flying around when I was browsing items.)

Yes! This is so weird. I can't tell whether its a bug or whether its deliberate, but it sounds like a high-pitched whine, or those drill things F1 pit crews use to take the nuts off a tyre. It's incredibly annoying and distracting, it seems to play whenever you select a new item, and is an absolute brainfuck of a cacophony.

I agree with a lot of that, particularly the upgrading of weapons and hacking - I didn't know you could do that until I stumbled across a merchant.  Thought I was never going to beat one of the first bosses, so upgrading helped loads, after which it was relatively straightforward.

Running into a hoard of gang members at a much higher level than me is also a bit annoying, as are some of the side quests which appear to lead to places that I can't access, despite the 'recommended level' being very low!  All very confusing.

4 hours ago, K said:

The worst bit about the UI for me is that LB and RB move between tabs, and the left stick also moves between tabs. So if you bring up the map screen and try to move the cursor with the left stick, you suddenly and bewilderingly flick between different tabs. Or if you’re a few levels down in a nested menu (ie looking at you gear) and try to move back up a level by pressing left, you immediately switch to a different tab.

It feels like each bit of the UI has a different flow to it, like each bit was made by a different person in isolation. 

Oh man that left stick also moving between tabs has got me loads of times, it is super annoying.  Have just about trained myself to only use the right stick to move the map and use the buttons to go back in the menus but I still knock the stick sometimes :mad:

24 minutes ago, Onze said:

I persevered through to completion of this over the weekend. I stayed for the fantastic visuals and soundtrack. Some of the core gameplay was pretty good but it got repetitive. I personally encountered many difficulty spikes. Probably down to me not understanding the upgrade mechanics of the character and weapons. I didn't even know I could upgrade weapons until I was coming up to about two thirds through the game. This caused me to die many times on several boss encounters and area defence tasks. I even got the achievement for dying many times and it's a big number of deaths for that one. The final challenge was an absolute pain which also resulted in many deaths, at one point I was going to drop it all, but I'm a stubborn chap and I spent about 2/3 hours getting through it.  

I ended up with about 700 achievement points in the end, but I'm unlikely to attempt to pick up the rest.

I've been pretty on the ball with upgrading etc, the only thing I missed for quite a while was that there is stuff available to buy at the "dna strand" vendor as well as the re-spec option so I could have had better access to mods/ augs earlier than I did

Am level 24 atm and about to go up to the pinnacle level.  I've not died more than once on any boss; I have died loads of times in the overworld though either when I went into red skull areas or got loads of tough baddies on me all at once.

To summarise.

The Good.

Fantastic setting and visuals.

Excellent soundtrack.

Rich world with loads going on, maybe more visually than actual interactions.

The Average.

Core gameplay was fun but got a bit repetitive by the end.

Agree with those

The Bad.

Difficulty spikes. (For me, but I'm probably just crap.)

Dodgy pop in of textures when using the lifts and the quick travel methods.

Too much trekking around with a slow character run speed. 

Horrible map, it barely helped at all.

Bad UI with small text and unintuitive/inconsistent controls. (The amount of times I wanted to scroll the map and swapped tabs was stupid. It never sunk into my brain to not press the left stick).

Not really had difficulty spikes but agree with all the rest, I'd add:

There is sometime some short hiccups after fast travel but I have also had to wait several seconds for the environment to load in several times when just walking, think most have been while leaving Cluster 13

There is nothing to spend uCreds on other than occasionally getting a weapon or other thing slightly before it drops in game.  I have over 1 million and nothing to buy other than the occasional weapon etc at ~25k

No way to get back weapon upgrade points or buy more so cant experiment with the guns as much as I'd like

The Ugly.

Many bugs.

Several crashes.

Slow loading.

Inconsistent saving. Sometimes checkpoints would set me back way too far after death. 

A couple of times it completely killed off the Xbox guide.

Agree with those plus:

Terrible level signposting on the side missions and several side missions that you can start but not actually progress

Had quite a few sound bugs where a gun or other effect keeps playing repeatedly after it should have stopped.

Route finding taking me to dead ends and bridges that can't be extended rather than to alternate routes that actually work

(I've not had the inconsistent save checkpoints or crashes that were worse than "to dash")

I'm still hoping for a sequel. :P

Yeah, I'd quite like a more polished Ascent 2 too :P

I think I've played 12 hours and I'm near the end. It ran out of ideas a while ago.

I only had one major difficulty spike at the boss I mentioned a page or two ago. Other than that, a few survival sections have been tricky, but since I got certain augments (robo-spiders, yeah!) that's helped a lot. I'm guessing I'm only partway through the final slog, though.

I’ve only just competed the prologue but I really quite like the visuals and tone of the game, it feels like an isomeric Doom and a little bit Aliens. The graphics are very impressive I think but I’m disappointed there is no ray tracing or HDR in the Xbox version, hopefully this will come via a patch, but for now it feels different to anything else I’ve played recently. 

I'm done with this. I wanted to enjoy it and to an extent I have but the difficulty spike for the Mecharachnid is too much for me. Combine that with all the pointless walking around only for the side quest to be unexpectedly gated and enough is enough. Got too many games waiting to be played to spend any more time on it

I played it for about twenty minutes before going to bed last night and somehow the density of the world invaded my dreams somehow.

I'm not totally sold on the game - first impression is it would be better as a pure action game without the light RPG accoutrements- but that aspect is impressive.