The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

KartoffelKopf

7 minutes ago, deerokus said:

That posh name guy on Eurogamer didn't like it but otherwise reviews seem very good.

Average of 64% ain't that good. Really wanted this to be great. Need me an ARPG :(

22 hours ago, Benny said:

The system requirements on PC seem quite eye watering. How's it look in potato mode?

image.thumb.png.0c70a601746e675df8327015a1018db2.png

1440p medium on a ten year old PC with a 1070.

Runs quite well! Haven't got to a crowded area yet, so it might shit the bed then.

41 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Can't see HDR or DLSS options in the PC version?

im wondering if this is a game pass issue...

as a video earlier clearly showed DLSS options, and even had an ultra quality mode!?

Just now, 5R7 said:

im wondering if this is a game pass issue...

The Ascent will launch with ray-traced Reflections and Shadows, and NVIDIA DLSS, to deliver the definitive experience for GeForce RTX gamers.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/computex-2021-rtx-dlss-game-announcements/

It might be - does the steam version have DLSS?

I ran it maxed out Ultra 4k with Raytracing on and when nothing big was happening all good - but as soon as there was an explosion or lots of enemies on screen would stutter like mad lol. DLSS is a necessity. 

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

This just looks ridiculously good on a beast of a PC:

@Uzi quite clearly in this guys vid!

and RT does not work either!

Im litereally standing where that guy is at the start of that vid at 10.21, and there are no RT reflections like shown.

image.thumb.png.db4e24382eab1ed04344fe2854fe758b.png

another win for game pass PC...up there with control then...

6 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

@Uzi quite clearly in this guys vid!

and RT does not work either!

Im litereally standing where that guy is at the start of that vid at 10.21, and there are no RT reflections like shown.

image.thumb.png.db4e24382eab1ed04344fe2854fe758b.png

another win for game pass PC...up there with control then...

Yep - was thinking it looked baked

Niklasgunner1

·11m

Ray Tracing isn't actually working even when you turn dx12 on, flicking it on and off does nothing to visuals or framerate and reflections are clearly SSR.

It's not microsofts fault though - they might not  be familiar with Direct X 12 and getting games to work on Windows 10 🙃

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

There is online co-op.

With matchmaking? 

I thought it was online friends only. 

42 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Average of 64% ain't that good. Really wanted this to be great. Need me an ARPG :(

The metro 3/10 brought that number down fast. 

Some people love it and say its the best game this year. Some ain't fans. 

I will make my own conclusions. It's on game pass so would be daft not to. 

Just now, Yiggy said:

I have a RTX card but RT options look greyed out in the Graphics settings and there's no DLSS option I can see. 

You’d only get raytracing in DX12, and that’s “not recommended” at the moment.

I dunno why people are stressing over review scores, thought the whole point of GP was that it doesn’t fucking matter, unless you wanna use it as ammunition for the Wars.

Game is very beautiful. Reminds me of the Coruscant in Attack of the Clones. Not so sure about co-op though, seems to encourage bastard behaviour. Also, it crashed our guy’s old Xbox into the menu as it had some sort of system overload, booting the rest of us into the menu.

4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Is there an option to launch it in DX12? (I'm on Gamepass)

I’ve turned the Xbox off. Just for you…

Graphics, advanced. Change. Restart.

what there isn’t is DLSS.

3 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I applaud your optimism. I expect the online to be on it's arse on launch day, as that seems to be the norm now. Quietly hoping for some online co-op tonight too though.

Lucky me just got a 90 minute session of co-op with three friends without a hitch. No bugs, no crashes or no server problems. 
The game looks beautiful but it gets a bit busy at times. 
From what I’ve played so far is a really fun multiplayer co-op shooter and we couldn’t care less about the story, we just wanted to shoot stuff. 

I can see why there's love/hate for this, it's like Diablo with guns in that it's extremely repetitive. It's entirely down to how much you enjoy the combat. Did nothing for me in the first 30 mins. It crashed to Home and I had no desire to start it back up.

6 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I dunno why people are stressing over review scores, thought the whole point of GP was that it doesn’t fucking matter, unless you wanna use it as ammunition for the Wars.

No, it’s because it’s a (relatively) marquee game for the new Xbox consoles which don’t have much/anything in the way of exclusives until this week.

Gamepass makes it very easy to just give it a go but for people with a £450 behemoth sat under their TV and little incentive to turn it on, then new games matter very much and good scores, like them or not, are usually very indicative of whether that new game is any good or not.

9 minutes ago, footle said:

I’ve turned the Xbox off. Just for you…

Graphics, advanced. Change. Restart.

what there isn’t is DLSS.

Wandering around the arcology, with a fairly good pc, at 4K, I’m mostly above 60, but drops to 40 every now and again in the 99th percentile. There’s definitely more “pop” than on Xbox.

• KartoffelKopf changed the title to The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

It’s a bit meh. Haven’t played much so will give it time but it’s not a great intro. Very derivative ‘nothing’ gameplay with an awkward shooting mechanic. Fees like it going to be one of those games with loads of weapons and features that just don’t matter. 

Also, while it clearly looks great in one way, it’s kind of just highly detailed 4K stuff. There’s nothing really about it that’s particularly impressive in action, just really high detail. I dunno, hard to describe. It almost seems like it would benefit from being a bit simpler at times. 

I dunno, I don’t think there’s enough to the gameplay for me. It’s just a bit shit twin stick shooter, which would be fine if that was one aspect but it seems to be the whole game with chores tacked on.