IGNORED

The Ascent - Game Pass - Out Now!

KartoffelKopf

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Most reviews say the opening 2-3 hours are a slog and then it gets really good. 

Eugh, that's a hard pass for me then. I think a game that hasn't engaged you in the first hour is doing something very wrong.

I like it. Only a couple of hours in. Reminds me of Ruiner because of the tactical approach to a twin stick shooter but this is way better.

Controls take some getting used to but between the crouching and aiming its got its own sense of weight and physicality.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

This runs very weirdly on my PC solid 60fps most of the time and then well jerky for seconds followed by perfectly normal again. Weird.

Doesn't matter what settings I use...

Yeah just tried it on pc, same here. Lazy pc ports are winding me up bigtime ATM. Looks like I'm sticking with my series s for this one. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Majestyk said:

Fun enough, it feels a bit of a slog but passable in multiplayer. Terrible ui scale, no real feel of levelling up, weapons feel underpowered.

6/10 because its gamepass

This is how the slide to mediocrity starts.

19 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I think I agree with the Metro score. Dunno what that says about me. 

well, you both compared it to nex machina...which it is nothing really like at all...

top tip, if using a pad, go to aim assist and turn it to high, its much better!

and whats with the sereis loading times!?!

im running it off a regular ssd (borked up my windows game pass nvme drive install) and it starts a new game in 8 seconds!?!

i think im gonna leave it a few days, see if they patch in what should be there, ya know, make it the same as the steam version!

29 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Loved the intro cinematic, nice and moody.

Got a bug where the 'select a profile' is appearing on screen over my character creation so I can't see what the hell I'm doing. Slightly annoying, restarting my Series X as we speak.

Wouldn't it have been quicker just to restart the game?

2 minutes ago, the_buddha_of_gaming said:

How is it a hot take? The mission's broken and won't progress and there's no reset mission option so that that. How's that hard to understand?

Didn't you get the memo? If you say something mean about a game you're trolling or wrong. 

I played the first half an hour or so - made it to Poone. So far I’m pretty unimpressed. Nothing to make it stand out, movement speed is a bit tedious (could do with a sprint to get around non combat areas) and the only tactic seems to be run backwards and shoot. 

Looks nice even on Series S though, but a bit soft on a 4K telly. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Eugh, that's a hard pass for me then. I think a game that hasn't engaged you in the first hour is doing something very wrong.

Yep. If your game is shit for three hours, cut those three hours.

Has a game gone from hype to shite so rapidly in the history of gaming? Looking forward to giving it a try, but damn that’s a resounding no thank you from the old rllmuk right there isn’t it?

For anyone having issues with text size, you can increase the size of the subtitles for cut scenes!

This does nothing for the text read outs on the loot you pick up on the bottom left, which I’m struggling to make out on a 65” telly.

3 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Didn't you get the memo? If you say something mean about a game you're trolling or wrong. 

I was looking forward to this for a year. Looks amazing, soundtrack is great, plays well too. It just needed another 3-6 months of QA before release. You can't release a game with game breaking bugs and not expect people to moan. I used to work with the studio producer listed in the credits back in the old 90s Psygnosis days too.

Fun fact, he was in charge of reviewing existing games that Psygnosis could publish and had Radiant silvergun, Silhouette mirage, and Grandia in on Japanese saturn to review to see if Psygnosis would publish PlayStation versions of them, and turned them all down. 

9 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yep. If your game is shit for three hours, cut those three hours.

I'm trying to think of a recent Game Pass available game that's hard to get into: say, Crusader Kings III or something. In that it might take you a good few hours to go through the tutorial and understand how to actually play the game and use the interface, but it's actually very engaging during that time with all the stuff to fiddle with and bishops to plan to murder. I realise it's a completely different kind of game, but that's a more hardcore sim/strategy game where you'd expect it to start slow, not a shooting/action one.

The menus are bloody horrible. Map is a massively unhelpful mess, the horrible red text and nightmare controls were clearly dreamt up by the devil himself. I kept switching tabs without meaning to. 

And your played character is about a million times uglier than every other model in the game, with terrible customisation options. 

36 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

This is how the slide to mediocrity starts.

2 days ago Gamepass saw the launch of the highest rated (Metacritic) platform exclusive original game of the generation so far. This is a £25 filler, that would have likely gone pretty much unnoticed with a traditional launch.

1 hour ago, the_buddha_of_gaming said:

In the first main mission, get to the grinder District, what are you supposed to do when you get there? Nothing happens. Is it bugged? 

Keep walking through to the serendity garden and shoot four things, and I don’t think it’s bugged - just poorly signposted.

it does pick up after that though: upgrading a gun a few times and throwing all the skill points in critical hit has made the fighting seem a bit more even, and the need to make use of cover and your skills ever now and again have added some tactics other than “walk backwards”. But the first hour of the game until you get to the arcology gives such a bad impression, and is so unrepresentative of the game, I wonder why they left it in: perhaps because their arcology path finding is so unintuitive.

having done that mission and a couple of side missions, I can see why some reviewers liked it. I can also see why others didn’t.

it also looks amazing on PC with ray tracing, which is unfortunate because without DLSS it also stutters a bit (compensates a little with gsync), and the Series X version doesn’t quite compare.