Podcasts - Recommendations

McCoy

Did a quick search but can't find an existing specific topic for Gaming Podcasts. 

I think it was a recommendation here but I have been really enjoying the Back Page Podcast. Matthew Castle (of Ngamer) and Samuel Roberts (X360, PC Gamer) chat about a lot of stuff including the good old days of proper gaming magazines, behind the scenes stories and also chat about past and current games. It is a legitimately good podcast and I am really enjoying it and catching up on past episodes. 

https://twitter.com/BackPagePod?s=20

I like the way it doesn't really have a singular focus. One week they will be talking about the Resident Evil Village, the next might be the best Magazine Covers they worked on, week after is their favourite games from 2007. It just a nice change of pace each week but from two guys who really know their games and were in the thick of gaming magazines back in the good old days where there were loads published each month. 

What other podcasts are people listening to and do you tend to have a specific interest such as retro, new games, industry stories etc.  Do people have a preference? I can cope with an episode a week, maybe around an hour (ish) long and a specific focus. I'm not a big fan of pod casts that spend the first 10 minutes discussing what the hosts had for breakfast that day - get into the action as quickly as possible I say. Plus for some reason American podcasts tend to grate on me a bit - they are often far too cheery, happy and 'bros' rather than the slightly more cynical piss taking approach British podcasts tend to adopt. 

A couple I sometimes check out:

Castle Super Beast

Basically after the YouTube channel Super Best Friends Play came to an end, two of the contributors decided to continue the associated podcast under the name “Castle Super Beast”. Honestly, it’s hard to recommend because the content kind of flips between entertaining and cringe, but a lot of their gaming interests align with mine and so I sometimes skim through in case I discover interesting news.

(Also, they have supplementary GoogleDocs which list the main talking points with timestamps; these come out a while after the podcast… but as someone who finds podcasts and videos the least efficient way of consuming any info, the GoogleDocs are a godsend. I wish more people would do this!)

UGVM

@deKay and a few others work on this, and it’s generally a lovely chilled time. New things and retro things are covered, and they often accommodate my dumb listener questions. No timestamp index yet :P but the lists on the blog are decent.

I do check out other forum podcasts - Sound of Play/C&R, TCGS - but UGVM is my more regular forumite jam at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

A couple I sometimes check out:

Castle Super Beast

Basically after the YouTube channel Super Best Friends Play came to an end, two of the contributors decided to continue the associated podcast under the name “Castle Super Beast”. Honestly, it’s hard to recommend because the content kind of flips between entertaining and cringe, but a lot of their gaming interests align with mine and so I sometimes skim through in case I discover interesting news.

(Also, they have supplementary GoogleDocs which list the main talking points with timestamps; these come out a while after the podcast… but as someone who finds podcasts and videos the least efficient way of consuming any info, they’re a godsend. I wish more people would do this!)

UGVM

@deKay and a few others work on this, and it’s generally a lovely chilled time. New things and retro things are covered, and they often accommodate my dumb listener questions. No timestamp index yet :P but the lists on the blog are decent.

I do check out other forum podcasts - Sound of Play/C&R, TCGS - but UGVM is my more regular forumite jam at the moment.

:wub:

My go to is The Retro Hour:

https://theretrohour.com/

The show is essentially about 20/30 mins news and then the main part is an interview with a figure connected with retro gaming. It's outgrown it's "hour" and is now on around an hour and a half every Friday. Its slick and very professional and the three main presenters are knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I only started listening to it last year so have tons of old ones still to get through, and while I do find some of the guests a little computer focused, they have had a huge range of people and they are decent interviewers in that they seem to extract the best from them and let the guest "breathe". 

tcgs

https://tcgs.co

The Computer Game Show is a weekly video games podcast hosted by David Turner, Sean Bell, Mat Murray and James Farley, covering gaming news and the latest games.

It’s great. I’ve been listening to these guys since the joypod and dark zero / midnight resistance days and it’s alway brill. 

I just want podcasts by people who can teach me something. So many are just five bearded blokes failing to be funny across two hours, with no particular insight or experience to share. It's just boring noise to me these days.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Retronauts is usually good. 

Jeremy Parrish is on this, right? I should probably try it as I like his YouTube stuff. He puts the work in.

1 hour ago, Quest said:

I just want podcasts by people who can teach me something. So many are just five bearded blokes failing to be funny across two hours, with no particular insight or experience to share. It's just boring noise to me these days.

Jeremy Parrish is on this, right? I should probably try it as I like his YouTube stuff. He puts the work in.

Yeah he hosts it with specific guests for each topic. They can go pretty in depth. 

Big old +1 for Backpage pod. It’s a real highlight of my week.

It’s such good in-depth chat that it makes the other podcasts I listen to sound quite juvenile and amateur in comparison. 

I listen to a fair few regularly:

TCGS

The Back Page

IGN UK

Special Moves

Triple Click

Gamesindustry.biz

I'll also check out Cane and Rinse and Watch Out For Fireballs if they're doing a deep dive on a game I'm interested in. IGN Reviews, where they just read out they're written reviews, is also good if you're interested in a game but can't be arsed to read the review.

Crate and Crowbar is a PC- based one, featuring a few ex-PC Gamer writers. It's pretty good and covers some games that don't usually get a mention on the bigger console-focused podcasts.

Also One Life Left, which has been going for ages and features Edge alumni Ste 'Redeye' Curran. It's a nice snappy hour which they also broadcast on the radio so it's pretty accessible.

I would second the likes of TCGS, Cane & Rinse, IGN UK and One Life Left. 

I would also add Bit Socket but I'm not sure they are still going as there hasn't been a new episodes for a while.

I like the Kinda Funny podcasts in general as well, Gamescast is the gaming one.

If you like game music then http://dorktunes.com. Really fantastic stuff.

DorkTunes is the original & premier Game Music Podcast since 2008 which is hosted by @noobisevil. @noob chats to composers on a regular basis about their work.

Cane and Rinse also did a music based podcast which is a very different beast https://caneandrinse.com/category/sound-of-play.  Like a pick of the pops type affair.

What we aim to bring you with Sound of Play is a diverse sample of our favourites pieces from the many air-punching, spine-tingling, tear-jerking and grin-inducing videogame soundtracks we’ve heard over the years.

1 hour ago, James Lyon said:

Also One Life Left, which has been going for ages and features Edge alumni Ste 'Redeye' Curran. It's a nice snappy hour which they also broadcast on the radio so it's pretty accessible.

Oh interesting I’ll take a look at that. One thing though, looking at the episode descriptions: What’s an ‘SSG’?

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:

Oh interesting I’ll take a look at that. One thing though, looking at the episode descriptions: What’s an ‘SSG’?

It's just their shorthand for Super Special Guest, i.e. whoever they have on as a guest on the show that week.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Big old +1 for Backpage pod. It’s a real highlight of my week.

It’s such good in-depth chat that it makes the other podcasts I listen to sound quite juvenile and amateur in comparison. 

I've been mainlining this since you recommended it in another thread the other week; it really is rather good. 

Another big +1 for the Backpage. Both of the presenters are excellent, knowledgeable and full of banter. Matthew Castle in particular is full of great anecdotes and seems to embody the spirit of late 90s/early 00s magazine writing. A really great pod full of well informed, interesting opinions. 

With hundreds of episodes I can only recall 2 were they specifically focused on videogames, but if you’re not listening to the weekly planet each week you’re denying yourself serotonin.

TCGS, The Crate and Crowbar and now The Back Page are my regulars. 

I think C&C has got a little weaker over time since Covid kicked off, as they used to make a point of ensuring everyone was in the same room when they recorded and it has made a difference. It's still good though, not least due to their questions section which often generates surprisingly interesting (and amusing) discussions.

On 19/05/2021 at 11:43, McCoy said:

Did a quick search but can't find an existing specific topic for Gaming Podcasts. 

I think it was a recommendation here but I have been really enjoying the Back Page Podcast. Matthew Castle (of Ngamer) and Samuel Roberts (X360, PC Gamer) chat about a lot of stuff including the good old days of proper gaming magazines, behind the scenes stories and also chat about past and current games. It is a legitimately good podcast and I am really enjoying it and catching up on past episodes. 

https://twitter.com/BackPagePod?s=20

I. I'm not a big fan of pod casts that spend the first 10 minutes discussing what the hosts had for breakfast that day - get into the action as quickly as possible I say. Plus for some reason American podcasts tend to grate on me a bit - they are often far too cheery, happy and 'bros' rather than the slightly more cynical piss taking approach British podcasts tend to adopt. 

Couldnt agree more on these last 2 points. I cannot stand the "bants" at the start of each TCGS and have to skip the first 15-20 minutes. Also, 99% of American game podcasts are tripe- Retronauts is the only good one.

18 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Crate and Crowbar is a PC- based one, featuring a few ex-PC Gamer writers. It's pretty good and covers some games that don't usually get a mention on the bigger console-focused podcasts.

I had no idea OLL was still going. I used to love it but after a few years the whole "we arent that bothered about games" thing became a bit tiresome. I might have to go it another go....

Just now, sandman said:

I had no idea OLL was still going. I used to love it but after a few years the whole "we arent that bothered about games" thing became a bit tiresome. I might have to go it another go....

It depends on the guests and the features, I find. It's good in getting people in to chat about the UK games industry who you'd never normally hear. It's definitely settled into a groove with the format, though.

1 minute ago, James Lyon said:

It depends on the guests and the features, I find. It's good in getting people in to chat about the UK games industry who you'd never normally hear. It's definitely settled into a groove with the format, though.

Yeah, their special guests over the years were incredibly impressive and put every other games podcast to shame

TCGS first and foremost, no better british gaming podcast for me.

Cane & Rinse when they cover a game I'm keen on.

Defining Duke is great for xbox centric stuff.

Sacred Symbols for PS centric.

Kinda Funny Xcast, again xbox centric.