Gaming headsets: PS5 3D and bluetooth

Rog

I've had a look but there don't seem to be any dedicated threads to gaming headsets. Am I useless with the search function or is there one somewhere?

I have a PS5 and am looking for a headset. I've done a little research and am struggling to find anything that will let me try out the PS5 3D but which also include bluetooth for watching the TV. I read a few reviews this morning and went out and bought the Steelseries 7X as (and I'm certain I read this!) they supposedly included bluetooth so whilst I was foregoing PS3D, I would be able to use them with the TV. I get them home and....no bluetooth.

Basically - are there any headsets that incorporate PS3D and have a bluetooth option? Surely other people have the same issue, how do you get around it? TV is an LG CX if that makes any difference (tried plugging the Arctis dongle into the USB ports on it but nothing).

We do have a headset thread somewhere. Whilst someone finds it and maybe the mods do a merge, I'll tell you what I know.

I think most of the "gaming" headphones won't do Bluetooth (using some proprietary dongle instead) and the PS5 doesn't itself support Bluetooth headphones. I think for a true dual connection option like that you need the Steelseries 9. Which are like £180.

If you don't want to spend that much, you can use something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CREATIVE-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Indicator-Selection/dp/B089S5CY26 to connect virtually any standard Bluetooth headphones to the PS5. I think any headphone at all will do PS5 3D audio.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Ah is that right? What do the pulse 3D or Arctis 7p do that other headphones don’t then? I don’t mind spending that extra for a solution that will do everything, the 7x were £160 anyway! 

Edit - on the phone. That quote is just your last line about any headphones doing ps53d.

5 minutes ago, Rog said:

What do the pulse 3D or Arctis 7p do that other headphones don’t then?

They come with a dongle that lets them work on the consoles, and that carries the microphone signal. I think that's essentially it. The bluetooth transmitter I posted above, for example, doesn't straightforwardly enable the microphone (if it's present) in your headset to work and comes with a plug-in one that inserts into the controller.

Ok, so essentially I've been having the 3D experience through the wired buds I've been using? I've no problem with a proprietary dongle which claims to reduce latency from the console, it's just I'd like the same headphones/set to connect to the TV via bluetooth to keep the sound down at night. In fact, on Returnal, while I notice the difference with a cup as opposed to a bud, there wasn't that much of a change. I've been worried about missing out on awesome 3D audio. We're saying any headset is using the 3D audio from the PS5 and I should ignore the Pulse, 7p that are "optimised" for the PS5?

Rereading all this, I've not made it clear that I'm looking for the same headset to watch TV on at night rather than playing games!

Outside of the sound quality of this headphone versus that headphone (and the latency question you mention of Bluetooth vs proprietary dongle) I don't think there's any substantive difference in audio or 3D audio quality from standard wired vs standard bluetooth vs Gamer Headphones vs Sony Pulse 3D Audio headphones.

I’ve always had noticeable delay when using my standard Sony headphones connected via Bluetooth to my TV. But when I plug the same headphones into the PS5 controller with a wire (and leech of the controller’s wireless) there doesn’t seem to be a delay... 

Does the PS5 controller use better tech under the hood to drive down latency, as I’m pretty sure the pad also uses Bluetooth to connect wirelessly?

10 minutes ago, Malc said:

I’ve always had noticeable delay when using my standard Sony headphones connected via Bluetooth to my TV. But when I plug the same headphones into the PS5 controller with a wire (and leech of the controller’s wireless) there doesn’t seem to be a delay... 

Does the PS5 controller use better tech under the hood to drive down latency, as I’m pretty sure the pad also uses Bluetooth to connect wirelessly?

That doesn’t sound right at all. When you say Sony ones you mean the actual PlayStation ones right?

12 hours ago, Malc said:

Yeah they use a custom codec. Standard Bluetooth is hopeless for gaming. 

16 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

That doesn’t sound right at all. When you say Sony ones you mean the actual PlayStation ones right?

I’m not using the official Pulse headset, I’m just using a standard stereo pair of Sony headphones.

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah they use a custom codec. Standard Bluetooth is hopeless for gaming. 

Ah, so they’re using their own tweaked version of Bluetooth which is giving me less latency through the controller.

I always thought their was like 1 ‘standard’ of Bluetooth, but I guess they’ve done some extra work behind the scenes to ensure low latency for gaming on the PS5.

It’s a shame all Bluetooth devices can’t share the same low latency codec, unless it’s partially dependent on some internal hardware? Or maybe companies just won’t share their codecs around for business reasons...

1 hour ago, Malc said:
17 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’m not using the official Pulse headset, I’m just using a standard stereo pair of Sony headphones.

With just a standard Bluetooth dongle for music? Yeah that’s never going to work. All the consoles need bespoke Bluetooth solutions. Must be something to do with controller interference or something, but you either need dedicated gaming headphones/dongles or if you want you use your own music headphones then jack is the way to go.