Jump to content
IGNORED

The Friends Reunion special


Gabe
 Share

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

This looks about as much fun as that This Life reunion a few years back. Why are they doing it anyway, have they all been hit with a massive tax bill?

 

They're getting massive money to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Honestly thought it was a few new episodes, not a sort of documentary. Weird. 

 

Also I read that its going to be on HBO in the US on 27th May, and yet no UK distributor has been decided on yet. Are HBO completely ignorant of the internet? This is going to be all over torrent sites from midnight on the 28th May for fuck sakes!

 

I could be wrong, but the majority of the audience interested in a Friends reunion won't really be in to torrenting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

 

I could be wrong, but the majority of the audience interested in a Friends reunion won't really be in to torrenting.

 

Isn't the reason this is being done is because Friends is massive with millennials on streaming services?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, James Lyon said:

 

I could be wrong, but the majority of the audience interested in a Friends reunion won't really be in to torrenting.

 

Dunno why you say that, the generation that grew up on friends are the same that used to download loads back in the day and probably still download stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

 

Dunno why you say that, the generation that grew up on friends are the same that used to download loads back in the day and probably still download stuff. 

 

All I know is that most of my social group who were into Friends wouldn't have known what a torrent is, let alone downloaded one. But that's just my perspective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

I'll watch it as was  one of my favorite shows, but i could care less about these other celebs showing up.

 

Jennifer Anniston has appeared in loads of movies although Cox will be returning for Scream 5 and did have a long running tv show.

Glad you're looking forward to Corden being on it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, And said:

You know like there’s those episodes where they put Courtney cox in a fat suit because fat people are hilarious. Why have they put Joey in one now? Not cool. 

 

I don't think it airs until next week, so you are in good time to get this cancelled if you create a Twitter hashtag.

 

Don't forget to put in that Chandler's dad was played Kathleen Turner for extra momentum. I'm sure there are many more for discovery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The weird thing from that trailer is the meme about how Jennifer Aniston hasn't aged and how amazing she still looks, but she's gone for a really bad trout pout ahead of this filming and its really distracting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wev said:

The weird thing from that trailer is the meme about how Jennifer Aniston hasn't aged and how amazing she still looks, but she's gone for a really bad trout pout ahead of this filming and its really distracting

 

Yeah, it's so weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Aniston looks like she hasn’t aged, until you actually see some old episodes. I’m with @Festoonhere, Kudrow and LeBlanc might have put on a few pounds but they haven’t messed with their faces too much.

It's weird, because post Friends and her appearance in The Opposite of Sex, it was Kudrow that didn't appear to be aging gracefully.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Thwomp said:

Matthew Perry looks absolutely fucked. He's slurring his words in the trailer:

 

 

 

It's fucking cruel to put Perry in this. 

Also, Aniston can't move most of her face - are the viewers fucking blind? She's nearly having as much trouble speaking as Perry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, And said:

You know like there’s those episodes where they put Courtney cox in a fat suit because fat people are hilarious. Why have they put Joey in one now? Not cool. 

I wonder if they will reflect a little on how some of the content would be deemed pretty dodgy by today’s standards. Fat shaming, diversity etc. 
 

I’m not sure if it had anything outright homophobic but I remember the stuff about Chandler having a ‘quality’ etc. Although, whether the ‘certain quality’ thing was derogatory to homosexuals or not I can’t remember.  Were they poking fun at gay folk or poking fun at chandler for not being able to attract women because they assumed he was gay?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes that would be interesting. The stuff about Chandler's dad is horrible too, would love to see them address that but I doubt it. It'll just be one hour (or however long) of cringey memberberries. 

 

Hope Matthew Perry is okay and getting the help he needs, can't see how taking in part in this will do him any good at all (and same for the other cast members who may be struggling with their appearance, age, etc.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hmm said:

Unless they completely sideline Matthew Perry, his brief appearance in that trailer suggests that this is going to be a harrowing exploration of the effects of chronic substance abuse.

 

Could this BE any more bleak?


1A0A7259-2E53-417C-AECF-F9DAE63332FB.jpeg.531b6bddcd18b8442ebe2dbbd5d48aa7.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

I wonder if they will reflect a little on how some of the content would be deemed pretty dodgy by today’s standards. Fat shaming, diversity etc. 
 

I’m not sure if it had anything outright homophobic but I remember the stuff about Chandler having a ‘quality’ etc. Although, whether the ‘certain quality’ thing was derogatory to homosexuals or not I can’t remember.  Were they poking fun at gay folk or poking fun at chandler for not being able to attract women because they assumed he was gay?  

I would need to go back and rewatch a large portion of the series, but it never felt that bad to me as in a lot of those situations it was the principle cast that were regularly the butt of the joke. With Chandler's dad being played by Kathleen Turner, often times the punchline was about Chandler himself being unable to accept his father's happiness and continuing to be weird about it, so it never felt like it was being directly or outwardly transphobic. A similar thing with with Ross's ex wife Carol; for all intents and purposes she's in a happy, healthy relationship with Susan after divorcing Ross, and it's he that is making it seem stranger than it is. Somewhat standard sitcom logic, where the status quo is regularly reset for the main characters while those supporting characters actually move on with their lives.

 

Janice deserved none of the shit they gave her though. :hmm:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From BBC

 

Quote

The Friends reunion special will air in the UK and Ireland next week, it has been announced.

 

The show will be available on demand on Sky and streaming service Now from 08:00 BST on 27 May ahead of its broadcast on Sky One at 20:00.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cheyenne said:

I would need to go back and rewatch a large portion of the series, but it never felt that bad to me as in a lot of those situations it was the principle cast that were regularly the butt of the joke. With Chandler's dad being played by Kathleen Turner, often times the punchline was about Chandler himself being unable to accept his father's happiness and continuing to be weird about it, so it never felt like it was being directly or outwardly transphobic. A similar thing with with Ross's ex wife Carol; for all intents and purposes she's in a happy, healthy relationship with Susan after divorcing Ross, and it's he that is making it seem stranger than it is. Somewhat standard sitcom logic, where the status quo is regularly reset for the main characters while those supporting characters actually move on with their lives.

 

Janice deserved none of the shit they gave her though. :hmm:

 

 

I agree with all of this. Friends also had the Notting Hill problem of whitewashing the area it was set in, I think Aisha Taylor was the first black character in show when her character appeared in Season 9. But that was a problem with the creators who did the same thing in their next show The Class

 

It's sad what has happened to Matthew Perry. I loved both of his short lived shows Studio 60 and Mr Sunshine but both were a very long time ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.