Is storage an issue on modern consoles?

Rayn

For me the problem has been those games you play quite often but can't finish in the technical sense, or you go to often to enjoy.

Online multiplayer games like Apex Legends, Tetris Effect, MMOs like FFXIV. And the other major category - those epic single player games that you're half way through and slowly plug away at. On PS4 I kept having to delete stuff like Cyberpunk, Yakuza, Hollow Knight., GTA5 to free up space for the latest single player shorter game I could blast through. Then I'd have to download them again - but that makes it even less likely you'll get round to finishing them because you can't just play it on a whim.

That's one of the reasons I got a disc PS5 - I'd rather have a bigger single player collection ready to go and I can keep more of the multiplayer stuff sat on my hard drive. 

16 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

I’ve downloaded Gears of War about 5 times since November at about 80gb a pop. Basically every time someone says it’s some magnificent spectacle that you’re missing out on. Then it takes up too much space on the SSD and gets deleted and I resent the game a little more each time.

It's fucking shit if that helps. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

My PS5 SSD is full, the external 5TB HDD I have attached is also full, and I have around 1TB of games waiting to be downloaded. My PS4 was full too. And my (512GB) Switch is full.

And my Wii is full. And my 3DS is full. And my Xbox 360 is full. As is my PS3.

It's a right sodding pain.

How and why? why have every game downloaded?

1 minute ago, Timmo said:

It's fucking shit if that helps. 

lol true. I get to the open world bit and I’m like wtf, the only point of this dumb game is to run around shooting things and it won’t even let me do that.

Just now, gooner4life said:

I don't have every game downloaded - there isn't space!

But I don't want to be redownloading stuff or relying on online services to exist forever.

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

But I don't want to be redownloading stuff or relying on online services to exist forever.

I think the days of a game coming complete in a physical form are slowly coming to an end. Sadly. Just looking at how often things get patched these days is shocking. Granted mostly the multiplayer bits.

Space limitations don't really give me a problem. Usually have one longer game on the go and a few smaller games that I play frequently in short bursts (Tetris Effect, puzzlers and other smaller indie games).

I'm mostly coping with the XSX internal storage. I tend to have a couple of regular games of football and racing, a couple of indies to slowly playthrough for achievements and my big game I'm focused on. But I'm always over half so I'd never cope with a S. 

I still have the external SSD I used on the old xbox, and it's still full of crap I'm not going to end up playing, but I've not actually plugged it in for a while. I'm just using it for 360 stuff really as there isn't much of a speed benefit. 

I've been tempted to get more storage but I'm concerned as soon as I pay for the expansion they'll release a bigger one that's better value. 

32 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

That's one of the reasons I got a disc PS5 - I'd rather have a bigger single player collection ready to go and I can keep more of the multiplayer stuff sat on my hard drive. 

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wont all physical PS5 games require a full install to even run? Which means you'll need the exact same free space on the SSD wether you use the physical copy or download it? Another thing, as soon as you've copied the game from disc to SSD you'll probably need to download the patch(es) for it as well which in some cases are as big as the main game for some reason (Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4, for instance, wants to download a 79gb patch after I've installed the 70gb the stock game is from disc)

4 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but wont all physical PS5 games require a full install to even run? Which means you'll need the exact same free space on the SSD wether you use the physical copy or download it? 

Yeah, but it's a lot quicker to install than download!

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Yeah, but it's a lot quicker to install than download!

One would think so but that isn't the case of Cyberpunk 2077 on the PS4 at least. I've got the physical version so if I want to play it I need to copy the entire game to the HDD, which is 70gb (ish). When I try to launch the game it says it wants to download the latest patch which is 79gb. 
One of my mates bought it digitally, when he wants to play it he goes to download, it downloads the 79gb and gets the entire game readily patched which means he skips the entire copy from disc process. But this might be unique to Cyberpunk for all I know (or perhaps even something that's not an issue on the PS5). 

39 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

I guess if you really fancy a quick go of something and it's not there, you've got to wait for it to download and install. Perhaps depends what kind of games you play.

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

Storage should not be an issue as long as you have reasonable internet. For me having too many games installed simply leads to choice paralysis.

I fall into this camp as well. I have less installed on my Series X than I did on my One X and I'm wasting less time deciding what to play now. Probably helps that Minecraft Dungeons is the most service-gamey thing I have installed. 

There's also the "issue" that whether games are installed or not, they're still shown in your library (on PS4, PS5 and Switch at least) unless you take steps to actually remove them. So you'd be forever disappointed that the game you want to play, randomly, say, Bibi & Tina: Horse Mystery 2, is there only it isn't and you have to download it.

Series S + Game Pass here. Can be a pain, but I tend to keep about 2 or 3 'big' games that stay on the SSD until they're finished, and the rest I chop and change all the time. Faster broadband will make this a non-issue with time

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

There's also the "issue" that whether games are installed or not, they're still shown in your library (on PS4, PS5 and Switch at least) unless you take steps to actually remove them. So you'd be forever disappointed that the game you want to play, randomly, say, Bibi & Tina: Horse Mystery 2, is there only it isn't and you have to download it.

Only in the actual "all your games" library of PS5. Which is the point. Though granted, I would REALLY prefer the "installed games" tab to be the default tab to land on.

14 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Only in the actual "all your games" library of PS5. Which is the point. Though granted, I would REALLY prefer the "installed games" tab to be the default tab to land on.

Maybe they are setting it up for the future where all your games that you have purchased are streamable via ps now. 

Maybe when patching is less annoying, this will be less of an issue. I have a 500GB PS4, which has a good chunk of its HDD reserved for system stuff. After that, I've got Doom 2016 installed (because I'm playing it), which I have on disc, which is still taking up ~75GB of space. Apex Legends at ~60GB, and then a few other smaller games that I want to get around to soon.

Apex gets patched a lot, and every time there's a patch you need to have the full size of the game free on the HDD to patch it. One of the patches was a couple of GB, and I couldn't patch Apex Legends without having well over 60GB free on my PS4.

I'm also a very, very occasional PS4 user, so running up against the storage limit with one free to play game, one thing on disc and a few things I bought on sale is really not a good look.

23 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Maybe they are setting it up for the future where all your games that you have purchased are streamable via ps now. 

How good would it be if you could play the streaming version while it downloaded in the background, and it seamlessly switched to the downloaded version when it was done.

Of course this is Sony and PSN and it would probably cause another meltdown.

I was under the impression that having the disc version still meant lower hard drive space than downloading. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I was never bothered to properly research it because I was happy enough buying discs anyway. Even if its not the case I still wanted the disc PS5 to play my PS4 discs and be able to trade PS5 games, so its still worth it for me rather than the digital version where you don't have the option. On PS4 I'm sure I could hear the disc being read mid-game - dunno about PS5 yet. Maybe it depends on the game?

On PS5 storage I just want to give a shout out to the UI designers who have included a storage bar which appears when you are going to install a game. It lets you can easily see in proportional terms how much space you have free on your hard drive and obviously it tells you the numbers as well. Very handy to know before deciding what to install.

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I was under the impression that having the disc version still meant lower hard drive space than downloading. Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

As far as I know, all PS5 games require to run from the SSD in its entirety which is why you can’t even play backups of PS5 games from an external HDD which in itself would be a lot faster than reading files from an optical disc.

4 hours ago, Rayn said:

This is what worries me slightly as I feel the urge to download and play the two games you mention just to play them with the benefit of better visuals and performance than what I've been used to but if the price is that I'm left with only 400gb of storage just to have said games available I might skip them. 

With gamepass on the Xbox it’s even more of a hassle. I’ve downloaded games to try at some point and then ended up deleting them before playing to make space. I used to like playing Gears online occasionally, but it has to go. Same with Forza. 

I guess 2TB storage models would have boosted the price up. I would have paid an extra £100 for 2TB, but I imagine they’d be making even more of a loss on the console. 

I've come close a couple of times on the Series X, but 99% of the time I've got all the games I'm currently playing installed and I've still got hundreds of GB free.

I'm playing three or four smaller games (Dead Cells/Ori/Spiritfarer) and two bigger games (Valhalla and Forza Horizon 4). I've got maybe a dozen other small games installed too, and I could easily install any other large game that I wanted.

When I've finished any of the games above, I'll uninstall it. And if I start playing a new game, I'll install it. But I don't keep huge games I'm not playing installed.

This is definitely something different users butt up against more than others. I generally use my Series S for single player games, which means most are one-and-done experiences and there's only ever one or two others that I dip in and out of. I've not had a problem with the internal storage for that or any other console.

On the other hand, since last March I've done a lot of multiplayer gaming with friends on PC, and while we mostly stick with a single game until done, there's usually a lot more installed on the machine. If we were doing this on Xbox, I'd probably have hit that paltry 380 GB limit by now. And if my household had more than just me interested in playing, I'd be hitting it damn near all the time as we juggle what we each want on the device.

Whilst it's really exactly the same, I think the SSD is conceptually different to the HD of the last gen. My collection lives in the cloud now (or I guess a big external drive).

The SSD is like a cartridge slot, or a CD changer. The things installed, work instantly, with so little loading it's insane.

But it's only for the half a dozen games I"m currently playing. The new apps for the PS5 and especially Xbox allow you to effortlessly swap around the currently installed.

It's a trade I would never give up.

I do think games like CoD are going to cause issue though, as they don't deserve that much space on an SSD at the minute, but if I was a conspiracy theorist, I might suspect Activiision will want to keep them big, so it's harder to play other games....

Developers will just have to be more better at compressing their file sizes. 100gb for a game is silly, they have to be mindful of the cost of space that their games take. Especially with SSDs being costly they can’t expect consumers to want to devote a large portion of their SSD space to a single game. I’m not sure about others but if I’m sitting on a fence with a game the size of the download is a factor that pushes me either way.  

Currently happy with the Series S space. I can’t have everything on there but there’s no point in keeping games installed that I have no desire to play any time soon. I do keep a constant curated selection of classics mostly from the 360/360 arcade era that I like to keep available to dive into at any time but the amount of space they take up is minimal. I do plan on getting the SDD expansion once it’s under the £100 mark, till then I’m content.  

I seem to be fine for storage on xbox. Always have at least 150gb free and currently have about 35 games installed

That "other" folder you can't access on Ps5 is a pain though. Takes a shit load of space plus you can't remove and the SSD only has about 650-700gb access anyway

Doesn't bother me really as the PS5 is only for single player exclusives I play one at a time then delete but I can see it annoying people who have a PS5 as main console. 

Well, I decided to try the 80s Action Heroes in CoD Warzone tonight. I started the download at 3:30 and it’s still going. Even though I’ve got a gigabit fiber connection it seems I cant get more than 200mbps at peaks on my PS4 Pro, average speed seems more like 140mbps which means it’ll take a total of four hours to download. If it starts with the «Copying Files» bullshit after I’m going to get well fed up