Scarlet Nexus - Control x Astral Chain

Strafe

What, no thread?

Demo is out on Xbox now (PS5 next Friday) and it’s pretty good.

The Good: combat is great once it clicks.

The Bad: I found a few sections where I couldn’t see where to go.

The Ugly: Fair bit of detail pop in currently, hopefully sorted for release.

• 1 month later...

Surprised to see quite so little buzz around this. Reviews are coming in now and mostly positive.

I've also been playing it, and really got into the combat, which is very Platinum-like with some fantastic enemy designs. The main issue for me was the story, which I found far too much for an action focused game, more the sort of thing that belongs in Persona. If you can tolerate or even somehow enjoy that though, well worth it.

Bandai Namco didn’t even mention it in their E3 ‘briefing’.

I’ve seen a few smart adverts but that’s it. Maybe the whole anime vibe means they’re not really putting much effort over for western audiences.

Obviously there's no chain, but the setting, the aesthetic and the combat all have clear similarities. In particular, switching in the powers of your teammates is reminiscent of switching between beasts in AC, in order to help deal with specific enemy types etc.

This video convinced me to give it a go so I'm 'buying' this with a bunch of ms rewards and cashback type stuff, feel like playing a good action JRPG just now. 

I still hate the Bandai Namco logo. 

I'm enjoying this, but the story is a bit of a mess. Nothing is explained properly so you have no investment in the many twists. You're in Suoh which I assumed was like sci-fi Tokyo, but there's also Seiran, and something called New Hamuka or something like that which seems to have authority over both of them. Are these countries? Independent city states? There's a bloke called Karen who might be evil (but might not). They have this really promising concept and world but just leave you lost which is a shame. 

Really needed at least a codex of some kind. It's weird really, it feels like a game based on some long running anime where it assume you already know the lore and backstory well. Strange way to introduce a brand new property. 

It's still got me engaged, though for some reason, and the gameplay is really fun. I'd be totally on board for a more refined sequel if they can tighten up the writing. 

It's not nearly as good as Astral Chain BTW but it's not that similar really. 

I think New Himuka is the country, and Suoh and Seiran are cities within it. But then Suoh and Seiran also seem to be rival forces, so it's not that simple.

In terms of confusion, though, that'll be the least of your worries going forward.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think New Himuka is the country, and Suoh and Seiran are cities within it. But then Suoh and Seiran also seem to be rival forces, so it's not that simple.

In terms of confusion, though, that'll be the least of your worries going forward.

At a certain point I enjoy the confusion, it's more the basic setting they kind of fumbled

• 1 month later...

The writing on this is bobbins (it might be staple anime, I don’t really watch it). Everyone keeps apologising to each other about everything they say. Then the other person apologises back to them as infinitum. Then there’s the bond episodes. One of them is literally like “I know we’re mortal enemies and just tried to kill each other but can you meet me at the cafe so we can talk about girls?” And it’s not a trap, you go and meet them at the cafe to talk about girls.

Also the frequent chat about how some of them look like kids thanks to the government anti-aging tech but they’re actually adults is…well, quite anime I suppose? 

On the plus side, the actual gameplay is quite good.

• 1 month later...

I see this is on Gamepass now which is great news as I was VERY close to buying it from the store for full price recently 🙂

I'm surprised this thread is so quiet as I thought this would be quite popular around these parts.

I'm aware it's from the makers of Tales of Vesperia (which I'm currently plodding through when I can be bothered) but it looks more akin to Code Vein (which I really enjoyed) so I'll be curious to see how I get on with it when I get stuck in soon, just wrapping up the collectibles in Psychonauts 2 for the final few achievements first (great game by the way) 🙂

Sorry about using so many brackets!