IGNORED

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown - PS4 Exclusive, Out Now as Part of PS+ June/July 2021.

Kayin Amoh

50 minutes ago, Darwock said:

It took me a few goes but yeah, it works this way so thanks! Pretty finicky timing on it. I’ll spend an hour or so drilling it along with the other combos I like to practice, then jump into an online session and no doubt fall back into using the usual standard moves that get me beaten instead. 

No one said this was gonna be easy! :)

Actually one thing Yu said in an interview was he would look to do if he made a VF6 was get rid of the extremes of execution in favour of more varied decision making.

Personally, I think you need both. 

The df, df, or db, db works for all instances of crouch. So things like Akira’s double palm, which requires crouch being held can be executed by performing df, df, b, f punch. Doing this is faster than charging the crouch.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s patched again, tournament mode is now included and there are trophies for taking part (also for doing team battles).

My adventures with Pai are pretty much over, I’ve been exclusively using Lei-Fei again but only in practice/arcade - I didn’t want to go online again until I could at least get my command execution to the point where I wasn’t busting out unintentional moves regularly.

Those trophies will probably get me back into room matches though.

I’ve been excitedly waiting for the first tournament - there are three every weekend apparently. Logged on to warm up with some arcade mode, first one starts in twenty minutes. I clicked on entry to check it out - wait, rank allowed: 1st dan? It’s the same for all three tournaments.

WTF, they didn’t spread the rank requirements out to let everyone play? I’m pretty much in the minority by still having a character at a lowly 9th dan, everyone else seems to be level 25+ these days. Who do they think is going to participate? Smurfs only?

Edit - oh it gets better, my alt account is at 1st kyu (1 rank below 1st dan) - it’s not allowed to enter either! LMFAO you have to be *exactly* 1st dan to play. That means someone with a main character between 1st and 5th dan, with 2nd to 5th having to use a sub character to meet the entry requirements.

OK, my 9th dan Lei is allowed to enter a 1st dan tournament after all. Hmmm. There is no connection filter either apparently, 1 of 4 people in the warm up room has a red connection.

I’m in for that. Hope they don’t gouge us too much.

The tournament then. I guess I misunderstood the nature of it, it’s not one big tournament for all entrants to compete in (wasn’t sure how that would work tbh) - it’s lots of little ones organized by matchmaking.

I could only see 1st dan tourneys listed but I wonder if you only see tournaments at a level appropriate for the characters you have? My alt account did not see any kyu rank tournaments, but maybe the higher level people had options of their own. I don’t know.

I don’t quite understand the competition rules it was using. Described as ‘double elimination(+1)’. I had to beat each player twice to win, fair enough - but I sometimes had to then do it all over again?

Much to my surprise and amazement I made it to the final, and subsequently beat that Sarah player twice in straight rounds. Then had to beat them again, for another two. After that my name turned red on the final slot and I was sitting there with no opponent, thinking I was done. I watched the play-offs of all the defeated players (they also played each other multiple times) which took effing ages, finally watched the Sarah I had defeated beating the other loser in what was described as ‘L.Final’. Alright, match settled - I was waiting for the podium, only it queued me up against that Sarah again! I now noticed my previous final was called ‘W.Final’, and the match I was about to do was just called ‘Final’.

Anyway I beat them again, once - then the second fight went pear shaped with lag suddenly hitting the match and my son busting into the room to see what I was doing, and I lost. My nerves got shot and I was losing control of the matches I had dominated before (or the Sarah just had me sussed), also lost count of how many fights I had to do but it was a shitload. Scraped through to win overall.

A matchmaking success then - I didn’t feel like I was hopelessly outclassed like I usually do in ranked matches; it was enjoyable, tense and close (except for my first fight who was apparently AFK on auto fire and just did PPP combos over and over - I almost got ringed out by that shit!). I get a winner tag to show off in ranked for the next week, probably just inviting egg onto my face. No doubt I’ll be too chicken to play until I’ve already lost access to the tag haha.

edit - also interesting to note, you can gain rank points in tournament mode, but you cannot lose them…

Watching the replays it seems like it was a double best of 3, but if it went 2-1 rather than 2-0, it became a best of 5. Is that a recognized tournament method? Seems weird. It’s possible one of my opponents rage quit after I beat them once which made understanding the flow a bit trickier.

Also I noticed that tonight was a ‘silver cup’ meaning you face opponents of similar skill level. The second one tomorrow is a gold cup, for opponents of varied skill level. In both cases it says rank allowed is 1st dan, which I can now see means minimum rank rather than max (which I had wrongly assumed). So everyone over 1st dan can play any tournament, but the gold cup gives the high levels easy opponents instead of a fair fight lol

There's a winner's and loser's bracket usually. If you win everything you proceed to the finals. If someone loses, they drop to the lower bracket and proceed to fight towards the finals but with a handicap. If they get to the finals they then need to 'win' a set to equalize, then win again to... well, win. The dude who streaked through doesn't need to gain a win to reset, if he wins that's it.

Yeah that winners/losers bracket thing seems like it just gives the loser a second chance? It doesn’t exist in any competitive sport tournament I’ve ever watched, seems a bit unfair to me. Especially as it gives more opportunity for the loser to learn your tricks. I nearly went out to the same guy as well when we faced each other the second time.

Nah, that's a real thing they do in fighting game tournaments if they're double elimination. I mean, the winner does still have the advantage, but if you don't have a super strong and varied game (I don't) they can catch onto you.

I'll maybe upload some winning matches and losing matches later against the dude who won. I don't mind posting vids of me losing, but I got rolled in the rematches so they're maybe not too interesting.

That guy must have eaten his spinach between rounds. What a change in performance.

By the way, was that silver or gold tournament? The in game text indicates the gold tournament is open to all ranks, whereas silver is opponents close to your level. I was watching a stream earlier that said the text is wrong and the opposite is actually true?

My tournament last week was silver and everybody was in the 1st-10th dan range, so it seemed to follow the game description. You were 24 vs 32 though, which seems like a huge gap?

Honestly, I didn't even check.  The video's still on my PS4 so I could find out, but I didn't notice while joining.

Weirdly, I hopped on for the early morning tournament too and it hooked me up into a Japanese lobby. I can only imagine how glad they were to see me with these connections.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Faded said:

Had a delightful time getting a manly slapping from @Jonster’s mighty sumo just now. Wish more people played this game. 

Yeah, we need to play more

I did have a really shitty experience in tournament mode on Christmas Day - there was a level 40 player who looked surprisingly average, and after getting to the final I found out why

His connection was absolute dogshit to the point it was impossible to time counters against him, and he could just sort of auto combo with Lei where Vanessa's tighter timing on my usuals meant that I'd wind up dropping most of them

But yeah, we need another forum get together, stat

I tried to get back into this recently but the net code is just so bad.

I get limited time to play and even setting up a public room, I’m sitting waiting for 10 mins+ for someone to join. Even when eventually someone does, the connection is poor that they leave after 1 game :( It kills me because I get like 3-4 matches and that’s my time over. SFV on the other hand, I boot that up and every 10-20 seconds I’m getting a match that feels solid.

Watching this video from Max, it sounds like this game was just a test and there’s something else lurking. I really hope this is true and Sega bring out a VF that works in this modern internet era.